I am interested in what doses of hydrocodone may cause fatal poisoning. I know that this drug may be habit forming. Sometimes dose that can’t suppress cough reflex may cause fatal poisoning. A member of my family has pulmonary disease and use Lortab Elixir. What are the other less severe side effects of hydrocodone?

Hydrocodone is antitussive and opioid analgesic. It involves central nervous system and smooth muscle. Overdose may cause respiratory depression and cardiac arrest that may lead to circulatory collapse and coma. Mild symptoms of physical dependence may occur after a few days of therapy. Tolerance is manifested by shortened duration of effect. Toxicity is manifested by loss of consciousness, pinpoint pupils and respiratory depression. It is very important that patient use drug just as it is prescribed and in the amount that is prescribed.