How many of you are taking Armour Thyroid medication as a thyroid supplement for under active thyroid?
Have any of you experienced any side effects or problems with this medication?
How long have you taken it?
Please advise me of any other issues you have had or are currently experiencing with this medication.

FYI- I started this medication about 6 yrs ago. I think it is agreeing with me BUT I started experiencing some health problems shortly after starting Armour Thyroid.
Just to be safe I thought I'd ask all of you out there to see if you are having any health issues. My health issues seem to be mainly with muscles.
Please give me any feed back you can.
I've been through some major medical experiences and still live in constant pain. Thought I'd do some research just to be sure no one else is experiencing the same problems while on this medication.
Thank you for your feed back.

I was really hoping for help with this.
Doesn't anyone out there take Armour Thyroid medication?
Any input would be great! Even if you are doing great while taking it.

Thank you in advance~

I am totally in love with Armour thyroid. Have been on it for approx 2 years, beginning w/a small dose and gradually increasing to 3 grains. I also take very small amounts of Cortef for my adrenals (15 mg). I can tellyou that EVERY part of my body hurt prior to treatment and that my condition improved dramatically within a month. HOWEVER, my symptoms would come back from time to time indicating that I needed to increase the dose slightly. Have been on this dose for approx 8 months. I hope I'm not jinxing things here, but I like my Armour.

Thank you for your response.
I always felt that Armour Thyroid medicine was my savior too but starting questioning it due to my medical issues.
I have never heard of Cortef but after doing some research on it I am considering that this may be an issue with me. I even went to a web site, took a test and found that I (according to survey) have a severe case of Cortef (hormone) defencincy.
Did your doctor prescribe this as soon he put you on thyroid meds?
I am currently trying to get an appt with a rheumotologist. This particular doctor screens patients prior to making an appt. so I do not know how long this will take.
The pain is so severe some days I could just sit and cry and I take pain meds! I haven't worked for 18 mos because of this. I also had neck surgery 2 yrs ago.
I just want my life back...I want to work! After 30 yrs of working I am misserable staying at home.
If there is any other information you could pass on to me I would gratefully appreciatte it.
Thanks again. Karen

I DO NOT USE THESE PRODUCTS, HOWEVER I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH ON THE SUBJECT.

IT SEEMS TO ME IF YOU FEED YOUR THYROID AND YOUR ENDOCRINE SYSTEM, THEY WILL BE HEALTHY AND YOU WILL NOT NEED TO TAKE ANY KIND OF HORMONE - SYNTHETIC OR FROM ANY OTHER ANIMAL.

WHY CAN'T WE PRODUCE OUR OWN HORMONES THE WAY GOD PLANNED.

_[removed]_

I would like to know how you think you can do that. Even if you take extra vitamins and eat healthy foods that promote the thyroid gland, it can never fix the thyroid. Trust me I have tried everything in the book and the only thing that helps is medication, and even that doesn't help with all the symptoms. I'm only nineteen and I have had this disease for over seven years. I have seen many doctors with different treatments. If you have a thyroid disease I believe that it is your best interest to take a hormone to make up the difference in TSH and T3 and T4 levels. My grandfather did not take any medicine but tried you idea and dead at the age of 46, all because he did not take medicine. Without the proper levels of hormones your whole body can begin to shut down, until you pass away. I am starting Armour thyroid to help with my symptoms, I'm sick of friends calling me a 80 year old woman because it hurts to run arounf with them. I have heard great things with Armour from members of my family. You may want to find a doctor that is willing to do some experiments with different drugs to control your thyroid. Not everyone feels the same result from the same medication. Keep that appt with the doctor it could be something other then your thyroid, it could also be your thyroid making the illness worse. Always remember that even if you hormone levels are in normal range that you can still experience symptoms and the disease can still affect other functions and organs and strange ways.
KSF I hope you find what you need to make you feel like a "normal" woman again, god bless!

To educate the ignorant. Some people have not thyroid. This is an important organ. You must take thyroid medication if you have no thyroid. One cannot simply eat well.
I take Armour. I am back on it after a two year break. I wish I could get my life back. I lost two years. I no longer have achy bones and muscles.
I would like to get my adrenal glands checked. While on Synthroid... I think my adrenals were burning out.

I was low in iron and vitamin D when my Doctors switched me back to Synthroid two years ago... Mistakenly, they though it was my thyroid medication. Oops.

Something in your post hit home...thyroid medication causing low Vit D levels.
I've been taking Armour Thyroid for about 9 yrs or so and I have low Vit D levels as well. I was giving a prescription dose of 15,000 units to take once a week.
Just curious....does all thyroid meds make people low in Vit D?

Hi all i have had a condition known as FIBROMYALGIA for six years and i also have a low thyroid problem some research i have done he suggested that hypothyroidism condition could also be triggering Fibromyalgia symptoms such as severe chronic pain. So i say to you KSF i am not a doctor but what you are describing your pain symptoms sounds like fibromyalgia you are describing it to a T when you go to your Rheumotologist appointment finally :-) I know how that goes :-) I am sure he will bring up the possibility of Fibromyalgia being the leading cause of your pain. The also however could be a chance that he dispels the mere mention of the disorder because unfortunetly many doctors still question the validity of this disease but keep looking up info on Fibromyalgia you'll be surprised how much the list of symptoms match what you have been experiencing. I hope this helps god bless,

Mary

Hi Mary, I'm sorry to hear that you have fibromyalgia but I think that your attitude is great and I'm really glad that you were really on top of it and it sounds like you are really on top of keeping track of your health. Can you tell me what lead to your diagnosis? What happened that made you actually go in and get your diagnosis? Thanks!

The greatest thing that makes you want to go to a doctor's appt to figure out what might be wrong is the intense muscle pain, spasms, stiffness and sore spots all over the body.
Can you just imagine what it is like to have someone touch you, almost anywhere on your body, and say ouch that hurts?
The diagnosis is made mainly by having your doctor push on certain parts of your body known as "tender spots". There are 18 specific spots to diagnose this.
This is a very painful condition and highly misunderstood by the medical profession. There are several medications out there that supposedly treats fibromyalgia. I, for one, have not found any to help.

Hi

I am living in SoutJ Africa and do not know the meds Armour. Is it available here or is there something similar. I had thyroid radiation and battle to get the right meds.

Thanks
Lezell