I am learning about myopathies. I'm a medical college student, and myopathies are my essay theme, with special look on hypothyroid myopathy. I don't like asking my professors a lot of questions; it's just the way I am. So, I'll try to find help here. Are Hoffman syndrome and hypothyroid myopathy the same thing or not?

Yes, it is the same thing. You should know that hypothyroid myopathy is symptomatic myopathy, caused by lessened function of thyroid gland. It manifests with slower motions, quick tiredness, muscle weakness, muscle spasm. Also, muscle reflex is much slower. The main point is, it is curable. Piece of advice also, don't be embarrassed to ask professor a question, the reason you're on college is to learn, no one expects from you to know everything right now.

Hallo,
Yes, this condition is called Hoffman syndrome in adults. Hypothyroid myopathy can manifest itself like muscle enlargement and this is when Hypothyroid myopathy is called Hoffman’s syndrome. Hypothyroid myopathy is actually slowed muscle contraction and relaxation. You also should know that this condition is not deadly and if I am not mistaking no one yet died of this condition. People get Hoffman’s syndrome in age between 40 and 60 years of age and they are mostly women. I think that many doctors practice physical therapy for this condition as a method of treatment. Some also try to use occupational therapy which compensates muscle weakness. I hope that this will give you enough material for your studies. Good luck.