I felt pain in heel few days ago. When I woke up it is bad, but when I walk a little it became ok. Then I visited my doctor and he told me that symptom is plantar fasciitis. What made me worry is that I heard he’s saying something of hypothyroid. Now I would like to know how I could get both of diseases in the same time.

Symptom of plantar fasciitis is severe pain felt in the heel on plantar surface of the calcaneus’s bone. After patient is off their feet for a prolonged period of time, pain rests. Since your problem is caused by over pronation, you should be fitted with the othotics. The most likely is that your pains will relief within weeks. Complete recovery will happen during few months, and generally it is needed between two and three months. What I want to explain to you is that plantar fasciitis is disease, but just one symptom of hypothyroidism. Some others are weight gain, low body temperature, slow pulse, high cholesterol and dry hair and hands. Also you might notice and depression, restlessness, moodiness, and sadness. About bones and muscular system there is joint and muscle pains, aches, stiffness, carpal tunnel syndrome and what you have reported arm or leg tendonitis or plantar fasciits. As I believe primary disease is hypothyroidism and plantar fasciitis is the most intensive symptom that you have noticed.

In November 2004 I was diagnosed as being borderline hypothyroid and was prescribed Synthoid. Three months later, when my back went out and had to go out on disability, my insurance was cancelled and I quit taking the Synthoid. Within three months I had gained almost 30 pounds, the most rapid weight gain in my entire life.

At that point I also developed extremely painful feet. And for almost a year have suffered. It's only been in the last few days, that I learned about stretching and have been able to walk and stand sometimes totally painfree.

Then just a few minutes ago I learned about the connection between plantar fasciitis and hypothyroid. It is such a relief to learn that something that was considered "borderline" (which I believe has probably become full-blown), was causing this...just another symptom.

What's especially interesting, is that twenty years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. I've always had a low body temp (96.8 ), feelings of being cold, and struggled with my weight, although at my heaviest I was only 240, yet never once did a doctor suspect or suggest hypothyroid.

I have suffered with painful feet for years,(I was diagnosed with hypothyroism in 1996,)never once has one of my doctors told me that my thyroid condition was creating my painful joints and feet,they literally tried to disregard my complaints,even when it is obvious i have trouble walking,all i can say,is unless its happening to them,its not a legitamate problem.

I've had hypothyroidism for 15 years. Last year I came down with plantar fascitis. Until I found this post, I had no idea the two were related. The doctor never mentioned it, but then again, I'm finding most doctors don't know diddly about hypothyroidism. I tried the stretching exercises and they didn't help. Was in so much pain I could barely walk. I went to a podiatrist and he gave me a cortisone shot. The shot worked like a charm and I have no more pain. You might want to see a podiatrist (foot doctor) and ask about getting a cortisone shot.

I have plantars faccitis (i know i spelled that wrong), chostocondritis, and all sorts of muscular aches and problems, with my neck, shoulder etc... I have been in rehab for many of these. I have come to find out that many of these are related to Thyroid issues. And I am amazed to find out most docs that I have seen don't know anything about this!

MrsG wrote:

...then again, I'm finding most doctors don't know diddly about hypothyroidism.

agreed. I was diagnosed, eventually, in '91 and reading this I remember that in '94 I was diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis
I think I did read in the last couple of years on the internet that they are connected.

Quote:

I tried the stretching exercises and they didn't help

nor me, if I'm not careful my ankle and feet go hard and cramped if I do those the wrong way.

to guest with thyroid disease and muscle pain...

I have had thyroid disease for 17+ yrs and over the last 8 developed debilitating muscle, joint and jaw pain. No doctor has ever mentioned thyroid disease could be the underlying issue for this pain.
Will you please tell me more or how I can obtain information on this?
I've underwnet 2 surgeries, been diagnosed with RSD, Fibromaylgia, Raynaud's, Myofascicial Syndrome. No treatment is helping me and I constantly live in severe pain .
Thank you.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/profile.php?mode=activate&u=151001&act_key=14d97bbaa35c036

It is well documented that musculoskeletal conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren’s contracture and trigger finger, occur in association with thyroid disease. Most disorders occur with hypothyroidism, but there have been occurrences with thyrotoxicosis as well. Although there is limited research to support a clear association between hypothyroidism and plantar fasciitis, it is theorized that low thyroid levels will increase the susceptibility for the development of plantar fasciitis.

Plantar fasciitis is the tearing, inflammation and deterioration of the plantar fascia, a connective tissue band which supports the arch. Plantar fasciitis classically causes heel pain at the first step in the morning or upon rising after long periods of rest. The plantar fascia is similar in structure to a ligament and is composed of mostly collagen, but also elastin and GAGs, which are long carbohydrate chains known to attract water and increase resiliency. Musculoskeletal disorders result from hypothyroidism because low thyroid levels cause deposits within the connective tissue. This occurs because thyroid hormone inhibits fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are cells within connective tissue which produce and secrete substances important in connective tissue structure, such as collagen, elastin, GAGs and fibronectin. With normal levels of thyroid hormone, these substances are not overproduced. When thyroid levels are low, fibroblasts overproduce these substances, particularly GAGs. GAGs attract water and increased deposits in the fascia disrupt the collagen network by increasing the space between collagen fibers. The strength of the plantar fascia is due in part to the organized array of collagen fibers. The additional GAGs, additional water content and increased spacing decreases the overall strength of the fascial band, which increases it’s susceptibility to tearing. Microscopic tears may occur in the plantar fascia under normal conditions, and this results in plantar fasciitis.

More information on plantar fasciitis.
More information on plantar fasciosis.

Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2003 Aug;59(2):162-7.

hi,

this is virender, india. am also suffering from heel pain, and i am hypothyroid. it is very difficult even i stand 5 minutes. i go to doctor, but he said that thyroid doesnt belongs it. my TSH level is within levels. plz. also tell me. stiffness in body is also there, plz. suggest any way to get rid of that?

thanx in advance

virender arora

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

hypothyroidism is an underlying cause of plantar fasciitis. many times, if you treat the thyroid, the heel pain goes away.

Just one thing if it is a long standing condition then you need to see a podiatrist, they can give you stretching exercises that will help with your plantar fascia condition. Also you can help yourself with anti inflammatory medication and what is known as R.I.C.E. that is
R Rest
I Ice
C Compression
E Elevation

Rest is self explanatory, don't overuse and try to get a good work/exercise balance.
Ice, if you have an attack, ice(or a pack of peas) wrapped in a towel for 5 mins (not ever ice direct to the skin) and roll it on your foot arch. also a cold can of beer/coke rolled under your foot.
Compression , would normally be carried out by your podiatrist, for example low dye strapping to tighten the fascia
Elevation, try to elevate your leg and relieve the pain by resting at the end of the day when the symptoms become bad.

If you need any further advice please just leave a message.

Liesa
xx

virender wrote:

hi,

thanx in advance

virender arora

Have your doctor check your Thyroid antibodies. If you have Hashimoto Thyroid disease (runs in families), it will show up in your thyroid antibodies - basically with this your thyroid thinks it is foreign and attacks itself. The TSH can appear normal. Also, Normal range changed a few years ago and many labs don't have the correct ranges in their systems - misleading docs who don't keep up with it.

have your hormones checkes by bio identical hormone doctor and thyroid ...your tsh should be around 1 and if higher could cause problems..normals levels range is too wide

also make sure they check your free t3 free t4 and tsh....
a good bio identical dr maybe able to help you more....bec hypothyroid and the endrocrine system all go hand and hand