Hello. I'M 37 year old female and I have some questions about my hormone levels. In a past few weeks some strange things are happening to me.
For about the past 3 or so months, I have been waking up at 5:00 A.M. starving – with extreme hunger pains.
I have never had such extreme hunger pains before because I felt as if I will be sick if I don't get up and eat right then.
Beside this I have noticed that I have put some extra pounds. What could be the cause? I have heard that it could be something with my thyroid gland.

You are right because about three years ago I was diagnosed with condition called hypothyroidism. This is condition in which your body is lacking of thyroid hormones.
I also had problems with my apetite. I could eat a normal meal and feel full and about 20-30 minutes later and sometimes much less, feel completely hungry again.
Thyroid hormones are hormones of human’s metabolism and that’s why you have gained weight.
You should contact your endocrinologist and let him determine what the right cause is. If indeed it is about hypothyroidism that you will probably get some medication as a substitute for thyroid hormones.
On the weight issue just be careful. A steady balanced diet and regular exercise are very important.

I am going through the same things you are - right now I'm trying my best not do buy a giant cookie! It sounds like you have adrenal fatigue also (inter-related with thyroid hormones) and possibly underactive thyroid too. If you wake up at 4 am hungry, its your ADRENAL GLANDS! that's a key sign that they are fatigued. Low cortisol (the hormone it secretes) causes hypoglycemia, which gives you hunger pains. It is so important for your health and your thyroid to get this checked out as well. Also, TSH is not the right test! It is useless (as your body is telling you). You need to take your Free T3 & T4 levels and listen to your body. Also, taking Synthroid or any T4 or T3-only medicine will not give you the help you need!!! You should really try taking ARMOUR - it is the full thryroid, so you get everything you are missing. Unfortunately, so many doctors (including endocrinologists) have no idea what they are doing. It's very sad. You need to find a doctor (MD or Naturopath-ND) that is familiar with adrenal fatigue AND thyroid issues. This is one of the best sites i have found that explains all this in detail: http://www.stopthethyroidm adness.com/ They have advice on how to find a better doctor... Endfatigue.com is another good one. good luck!!! Back to top

I am also suffering from the same problem........... I feel so much hunger justafter half an hour of proper meal ..................... I am also having hypothyroid