I am 25 years old and have been battling infertility for 20 months now. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and my whole thyroid was removed when I was 5 months pregnant with my first son. After my delivery I had radioactive iodine (radiation). My husband and I started trying to concieve almost two years ago and have had no luck. I have had all the appropriate tests and passed with flying colors. I ahve had two round of IUI while using the trigger shot and Femara 5mg. I have two good follices on both cycles. I am wondering if my throid is my problem. I am on Synthroid 150, my docotr keeps my throid at an undetectable level to keep the cancer from coming back. Anyone else have a similar case?

Hi Heather, just wondering if you had any sucess after writing your blog about fertility and thyroid cancer. I too am struggling to concieve after having a total thyroidectomy and radioactive treatment. Its been a year now and its incredibly frustrating and upsetting. Please help.

If you want to concieve and get back to a healthly life you will need to add supplements and switch from synthroid to armour. Armour or any other like it is a dessicated thyroid gland, It is a natural product—not a synthetic compound. It provides both of the key thyroid hormones levothyroxine (T4) and L-triiodothyronine (T3). Once you switch you should notice a difference instantly, you will need to supplement with high doses of iodine. High by todays standards but just the right amount for whole body sufficiency by standards set forth decades ago. 12.5mg is where you will need to start. Most likely you are suffering from a mild form of PCOS, its very common for women to have difficulty concieving when they are deficient in iodine. Along with that you need to supplement selenium, vit e, zinc, omega 3 cod liver oil is best, a good multi, extra vit c, chromium, vanadium and magnesium. If you want to know what the suggested doses are take a look at theiodineproject.com

The iodine is also essential while your pregnant as iodine deficiency is the number one cause of mental retardation not to mention other physical defomaties. Check out the site you will find LOTS of info there.