So me and my girlfriend are both 17. We've had sex a couple of times and every time ive worn a condom during the intercourse. The most recent being on the 31st of April. It was my first time i actually ejaculated while inside her but into the condom. The condom wasn't split either. However, her period came on time she said maybe a little early but not by much. She said that it was less than usual and was over in 2 days which is abnormal for her. We are both in college and its getting close to the end of the first year. Additionally, how long must we wait to do a pregnancy test as we really need to know as soon as possible. I'm very worried about the situation for obvious reasons. Finally, thank you for reading and hopefully replying. :)

Hi King,

Normally you'd wait until her period is due to take a pregnancy test.  It can take up to 14 days for the hormone levels to rise, hcg, to a point where it can be detected.  Having sex within about 9-10 days before her period is due it is unlikely she'd get pregnant.  It is well past ovulation and the egg would not be viable.

Condoms when used correctly are very effective.

Stress, maybe from finals, can change her cycle.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply, we are only young and we're really stressing about the situation. The condom didn't seem to break and it all seemed ok during the time. We dont think its implantation bleeding as it was red. However, what could cause it to be so short for only 2 days can stress change that so dramatically?

It could be anything.

Implantation bleeding would normally occur about 5-7 days AFTER she ovulated or about a week or so before her period was due.

Ah okay. We have made plans to get the morning after pill and next week to aquire the test itself. Here's hoping for the best. Thank you for answering we are now feeling much better about it all.

The morning after pill is only effective, at best, for up to 3 days. Taking it now over a week later, it won't do anything.

The morning after pill is also NOT nearly as effective as a condom or daily pill.

I've had varying opinions on the morning after pill. Even though it may not do anything it could be good just to cover all bases until the pregnancy test which will have to come next month due to her period cycle. Also what other contraception do you recommend?

It's a mistake to use the morning after pill at this point. It won't do anything - IF she is pregnant. Like any drug it also has risks and side effects. It is a large dose of hormones, hormones she does not need and there would be no benefit from. It won't abort a possible pregnancy.

As I said, timing wise she is unlikely to be pregnant. It also does not appear to be ovulation bleeding.

She can test 14 days or so after having sex. Why not just wait 14 days from when she had her period? Follow all directions carefully.

Sorry I didn't know how these things worked I'm only 17 and in my first long lasting relationship thank you for all the help on the matter