I jammed my right wrist joint, cracked the left bone and chipped the right one (the bones up against the joint). I don't have insurance and the medical staff had me see a surgeon if I should have surgery or not. Luckily, no surgery, however... I still received some hefty bills (I've payed about 200 which wasn't too bad, thought they were taking care of me since I was a full time student and at the medical center on my schools campus). Until I got a $400 bill for 1 days worth of medical stuff. The most recent visit (3 total). That day they re-xrayed and changed the cast angle (NEW cast).

Anyways, I called and they are going to review the bill. I am scheduled to have my cast removed in a week. I am thinking about just soaking the cast in warm water and personally removing it. Assuming it seems as a freshly healed bone should I am content. It seems to have healed well so far, fingers are working well again, being able to turn my arm again. Granted my wrist is pressed tightly in the cast so I can't move it much.

What do you think about the plan?

Recap - the plan is to remove the cast myself, in a safe time consuming manner with the purpose of saving a nice lump of money. Then if it seems bad I will go see the dr.

dont be so daft! if you thought this was the right idea you wouldnt be asking for someone to confirm it. If this had been a straightforward break with one xray, cast and a removal then MAYBE this would be an option, but you obviously dont fall into this remit. So far you may have notched up some significant costs, but when you consider that without this intervention you may have been left with a badly deformed wrist and long term complications (including nerve damage and restricted movement, not to mention arthritis) does it really seem like the worse option?!
You have already mentioned that they are looking into revising the bill for you and if not then maybe you can come to some arrangment re payment, but in the meantime is it worth taking the risk that your wrist hasn't healed properly?
Think about it, did you realise at the time that your injury was this serious? you do not have xray vision and it really would be worth considering which you value more - your money for the next few months, or your manual dexterity before making your decision.

If I take the cast off and other than being a bit stiff, wouldn't that be a sign it is good to go? Obviously, I knew something was wrong in the first place, so I went and had it taken care of. GRR. I despise this.

I do appreciate your response, by the way.

I know its frustrating but if it is ok then you will only have the cost of the removal to pay in addition to the rest - if not then its money weel spent to ensure your future health.

Ultimately its up to you but you can have many problems not initially evident to the naked eye (or feel)

Hope you feel better soon though ( I also appreciate the thanks! )

I was reading this post and it was like flash back. :-)
I have a friend and three years ago he had a similar problem. He hurt his wrist and he had a cast. And when it was time for him to go to hospital and take it of he said to me that he is going to do it him self. And I was stunned, and I had no idea why would he do that. And I was, off course, talking to him why he should not do it, like Casig is telling you now. :-)
Hopefully I managed to talk him out of it, and he went to hospital and took care of it.
I'm really interested did you go back to hospital or you did it your self?
If anybody has done this, I would like to know how are they doing now, do they have any problems?

My father removed his own cast that was put on his finger (cast up to his wrist) when he cut through the bone while changing a lawn mower blade. Yes it can be done but I agree with the others best to get an xray to make sure it is healed properly first.
Sounds like you are a young person so while maybe at first it will not bother you too much if it isn't healed properly it most likely will when you get older.
Why take a chance? I have painful (arthirits) wrist and believe me when I say they are not any fun!

kariB I'm glad that you've provided some insight and you know who people have also done this. I'd like to know if the poster decided to go ahead with removing the cast or if the person ended up going. I know it seems like all they're doing is just taking a cast off, but they also make sure that the bone healed properly and make sure that there weren't any complications. I don't know why you'd want to risk that, even if it costs extra money.

I've removed two wrist casts from myself, and an arm cast from my son. Bought some heavy-duty tin snips for his. Much easier to remove a cast when you can use both hands. Be prepared to get very tired cutting through it. Never tried soaking it in water or vinegar first, but maybe that makes it easier. If your bone is set, and you don't cut your skin, then it's a fine idea, otherwise not.

You have already been charged. The visit to remove the cast is already worked into the fee that is charged when the cast is applied. The same with removal of stitches.

That is false information I was charged for both visits

I got my cast taken off at home and what I did is I took a sander and cut it, until it got short enough to cut with scissors.

You could also soak it in water and unravel

Yes but the office visit (another $100+) and new xrays are additional. Easy choice if you have money,,,not so easy if you dont

I'm going to remove my own cast. And it's exactly the same as yours .......