September 3rd. 2011 I tripped on a pair of shoes someone left outside the door step. I broke my ankle (first ever break) I was in a synthetic cast until October 19th.  During the time my cast was on I complained of major discomfort in the bone *aside from it being broken* it felt like it was running on the side of the cast*if that makes sense*
On October 19th, the doctor told me after *glancing* at my xrays that (and I quote) "Well I think it's healed, but its hard to be sure" and he sent me home with out any cast, and told me just take it easy for a while, walk whenever I want, I can drive just no jogging. I was in serious pain the next day. I was at the grocery store and had to call my dad to come help me get out of the store it hurt so bad.  November 4th I went back to the same hospital because I was in so much pain.  My doctor sent me for xrays and after looking at them says "oh i can still see a crack in it" but still sent me home with nothing.  The next day my boyfriend took me to a different hospital and the doctors there sent me for xray, upon reviewing them the doctor says " he told you this was healed? Its still completely broken, it hasn't healed at all"

She then put me in an air cast and sent me home.  I had a follow up 3 day later at their fracture clinic. The doctor tells me they put me in the wrong air cast. They gave me one for a broken foot. I tried to explain to the new doctor about how and when I broke my foot and give him some info on it and he actually refused to listen to any of it. He "didn't care what another doctor did or said".  He put me in an air cast to my knee until Jan. 12th. 2012. that is 4 months of being in a cast!!!  

He tells me now that its healed.  (the doctor from the second hospital) but I am having serious pain in it still and it is still very sore to the touch.  I went for a walk on Sunday and since then it has been just throbbing like it feels like the bone is going to snap, not sure how else to explain this.  I have no idea what to do, or what could be wrong...

also, when i am sitting our even worse is when I am laying in my bed, my foot gets a horrible feeling.. not sure if its a bit numbing.. but also burning and coldness.. its really odd.  Very uncomfortable

Hi Scorpio,

Sorry about the problems with your ankle.

You may experience quite a bit of pain walking after being in a cast for 4 months. The muscles have likely atrophied a bit from not being used. Short walks to help build your endurance would be a good idea.

The bone can also still be healing some so again, go easy. The more stress applied to the bone the more dense the bone will become. Walking will help it heal further.

Give it some time. It sounds more like muscle aches than any issue with the ankle itself.

I have sprained my ankles numerous times and broken them a few times as well (Basketball).  I also went through some pain months after I had been cleared.  Your best bet is to try and do the PT exercises they give you and strengthen it back up and go from there.