So, I am 5 weeks post op and my surgeon has put me in a walking boot but has told me to try to bear weight but I am scared to death to even try. I am able to put my heel down as I had not injured it but it is very tight and sore. I am concerned about the seemingly very short time that I was in a hard cast. From what I have read it seems that most lisfranc-ers stay hard casted for much longer ?? Is this normal? Also, I am not getting much information out of my surgeon even when direct questions are asked and I really do not know if he even knows what he is doing (he was the on call doctor the night of my accident). My injury resulted in my 2nd and 3rd metatarsals being forced up into the air (totally dislocated/disjointed) resulting in 2 screws being placed and I have not read any other similar stories here. I am very nervous about this doctor and have requested a second opinion but feel stuck right now. Has anyone else been taken out of the hard cast this early? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

After resiting the urge to research message boards I've started to give up because I'm totally freaking out still. Honestly, I'm curious about this same thing. I "think" there's nothing wrong with being out of the hard cast after 5 weeks because I was out of my hard cast 11 days post op, and have been in a boot since. Also, I have a very different opinion of my doc because I had some time to find who the experts in my area were and went to them. The moment my doc saw the x-ray he knew what the issue was and the CT was just a formality. My guys have done a "few" lisfrancs in their time and I feel pretty comfortable with the guidance I've been given and everything seems to be going as expected.

Honestly though, I really don't know, my concern is that I'm incidentally putting more weight and such on my foot than I should and will somehow cause damage as a result, but so far I'm just under 3 weeks since surgery and things seem ok. I can lay my foot flat and have seen the biggest gains in swelling loss and pain reduction since the cast was removed....bottom line, I think that's totally fine...and I hope what I've been doing is fine.

Anyone else have thoughts? Is what I'm doing totally insane? I've seen posts about 12+ weeks in a hard cast, but I've got to think that makes the recovery (PT and such) totally brutal and probably more difficult/longer. As it is, I'll likely start PT first/second week of feb (6/7 weeks post op) and its probably not going to be a very long period of time.

I am now 6 weeks post surgery on my Lisfranc fracture. I have been in a walking boot (although non weight bearing) since 2 weeks post op.
I saw my surgeon yesterday who said that I can start weight bearing again, but only while wearing my boot, which I have to keep on for another 6 weeks.
He said to increase my weight bearing as tolerated, so only to put as much weight on my foot as I can tolerate and to rest it if it gets too sore. I am still walking with the aid of my crutches, but am slowly putting weight through my foot. I am not going to push it too fast though, I am currently pregnant and have 2 kids aged 4&2, so I don't want to do anything to jeopardise my recovery!!

I found that I was tight around the ankle, so I make a point of trying to stretch my ankle and get things moving while my boot is off.

Are you allowed to take your boot off at times? I would use that time to try and do some gentle stretching of your ankle, I just roll my ankle around and wiggle my toes until it starts to feel a bit looser.

Hi there,
Both of your responses have made me feel a little more positive about my short cast time. "Guest", you are amazing, to go through this with being pregnant and having other very young children to take care of is something I can't even imagine. When this happened and I was informed of how bad of an injury this really is to have, the one thing I was thankful for was that I did not have little children at home to take care of. Yes, I am able to take my boot off, thank goodness, and I do rotate my ankle and flex my foot forward, like depressing a gas pedal, and then pull back as far as I can. I am also doing a lot of non-impact leg exercises to build my calf and thigh muscles. I have heard of people trying to pick up a pencil with their toes by curling them around it so I have been trying that too - not too good at that though. "Alsosad", I envy you for finding the right doctor(s). I am still struggling to get a second opinion but I feel stuck with the guy I got at the moment. In terms of weight-bearing, my family doctor (more helpful than my surgeon, believe it or not) has told me to just do what I can. Some days I can do a little more than others but it does seem that every day I am pushing myself to go farther. I would say that now, at 9 1/2 weeks post-op I can put about 20lbs on my foot, I am still walking with a walker (can't do crutches), but I am seeing some progress, FINALLY :-) I agree that 12 weeks in a cast would make PT hell, I remember how hard it was to move my ankle after just 5 weeks, not to mention the yucky thick calluses, but maybe some cases are worse than others. If you google Lisfranc blogspot you'll find Kim's story. This really helped me think positively and with hope for a (dare I say) good recovery. Let me know how your recovery goes and all the best to you both. PS-"Guest" good luck with your pregnancy and congratulations.

I had a lisfranc surgery after falling down a Mountain during hunting. I landed on my left foot after about 12 feet and broke 5 bones and fractured my Fibula. I was told in the ER I had a bad sprain and was told it would take a long time to heal and that walking on it was good for it.
3 months later and suffering every night with a swollen foot I returned and they finally did a CAT Scan which revealed a massive separation in all my metatarsals from walking on the foot for so long. So much for dealing with the pain. Well.......my Surgeon came highly recommended and set my surgery for a month later after complete bed rest with cast to allow bones to heal up a little better. Final outcome of surgery was this.....The surgeon removed bone from my leg to fuse the metatarsals and then used a plate with ten screws. It looks like someone tried to cut my foot off. It was scary at first but believe it or not, the bone they took from my leg hurts worse. They removed my cast after 1 week because It was so tight due to swelling. I was told to just keep it wrapped with elevated and am absolutely non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I will then start P.T for 10 weeks or more and then wear a brace that fits in a shoe for 6 months after P.T. I wiggle my toes and move my ankle around with very little pain after 2 weeks post Opp. The forecast is boring for the next 6 months or so not being able to work or play with my awesome family of a wonderful wife and 6 kids. But from what I read and am told, the Non weight bearing instructions is a must if I want a good outcome.

Hi, I am 5 weeks post injury. I did not have surgery as I am pregnant but was given a walking boot and knee walker and directed to remain non weight bearing for 12 weeks. However at my 4 week appointment the Ortho said he was very pleased with the healing and released me to begin weight bearing via therapy at 6 weeks post injury. He also said I could drive once I am weight bearing and released me to return to work at 8 weeks post injury. I am very hopeful that I will be able to navigate with the walking boot but my husband is not at all convinced. Will keep you all updated but it seems to me that each injury, doc and recovery I have read about is very different. I have a lot of confidence in this experienced Doc. Hope this is helpful to others experiencing a more rapid recovery....

I also didn't have surgery . How was your Recovery ?you sound more like me than most. Mine was 2mm . How about you? I have not been in pain but I'm still NWB but in up to my fifth wk now and I think I start to step down maybe walk next week . What can I expect?

My Lisfranc surgery was on July 28 and the cast was removed at my 2 week postop. I'm none weight bearing for 12 weeks in a heavy big boot...argh. My injury was pretty bad and worse than most according to my surgeon, with bone fractures, lisfranc dislocations of 1, 2, 3 mets. I have a bracket and 8 screws which are said to be permanent. I'm at 7 weeks and started some light home PT...toe stretches and pointing...feels like a block of wood and working to loosen up ligaments...looking forward to walking again. Patience is the key with this unusual injury.