I sustained a 5th metatarsal jones fracture on my left foot on April 25, 2007 when I tripped on carpeting at work. I heard the bone crack followed by the immediate swelling and pain. I was splitted for 1 week until I was able to get into the orthopedic surgeon. The original plan by the surgeon was to have me cast it for 6 weeks to see if it healed while understanding that it might not work due to the fracture being fully across the bone. 4 weeks into it, the pain was too severe and I went back. The decision was made to screw it. I had the surgery 13 days ago and I go back tomorrow for the post op splint to be removed and for a cast or aircast to be placed for at least 4 weeks. No weightbearing at all on it now. Has anyone had a 5th metatarsal fixation done and what is their experience with the healing of it? Complications? Pain level? Weeks off work or weeks without weightbearing?

Thank you!
Jennifer

I have been dealing with my jones fracture now for almost 12 weeks.
I had the screw put in after wasting 5 weeks with a cast.Now I`m 3 weeks post op and they are telling me another 30 days non weight bearing.
This sucks,I`m a bodybuilder and it is killing my training..I`ve lost 25 lbs.
and it seems there is no end in sight...GOOD LUCK with yours...
GOD BLESS THE MARINE CORPS.........

I'm sooooo sorry to hear of the two of you having a Jones fracture but it helps me to know I'm not alone. I broke my bone on July 15. I went back to the Dr. after 4 weeks for x-rays and have to go back on 9-11 for another set. Evidently that is when the decision to screw or not to screw will be made. I agree this really sucks!!! I'm ready to throw the crutches as far away as possible. I've been mostly housebound for 8 weeks and am ready to break out!!! I can't stand much more of this.

I hope both of you are doing well.

I too have a Jones fracture - and am really enjoying reading these posts. I am 8 wks into it on crutches, air-cast and non-weight bearing. I am going crazy - the bone is finally healing - but very slowly. My Podiatrist finally gave me a referral to an Orthopaedic Surgeon yesterday - in hopes of "screwing/or pinning" it. I hear in Canada the wait is very long though. I know this injury we have is non-life threatening but - I am finding it very hard - hang in there. Does anyone have any stories on after surgery? The recovery time etc.
thanks

I broke my foot two weeks ago today, and go tomorrow for Xrays to see if it is healing. the pain seemed to have faded, until I fell again on the cast. now the pain is back the way it was the day I did it. I am so afaid that I will have to have surgery. I have a long medical history though I am only 31, I have had two strokes, and have bipolar disorder. I am just afraid that I will not be able to walk without pain after this heals. from what I have heard this is a very bad break. can anyone tell me there possitive or negitive experiences with this type of fracture. %-)

Hi all,
I just sustained a Jones Fracture yesterday after tripping on uneven pavement (am sueing the council over it now) and am keen to hear more about the recovery.

I was told mine is "stable" meaning all the pieces are in alignment and is expected to heal using just an immobilisation 'boot' and not a plaster cast but am worried because initially I was told nothing about it being a Jones Fracture and after reading up about it (thanks to another physio who rang the alarm bells) I'm feeling very freaked!

Is there anything you guys are doing to help accelerate the healing or promote better circulation like using bone stimulators?
I know extra Vitamin C, Silica and Calcium helps.

Hey fellow Jones fracturees;

I sustained a Jones fracture myself on Oct 3, 2008. I spent the first 6 weeks in a boot and on crutches with no weight bearing at all. Just went in today for more x-rays and was very disappointed to find the bone not as healed as I had expected. I guess that is the nature of the beast.

I was prescribed another 6 weeks (uggh) of crutches but this time I was allowed 30lbs of weight for the first 2 weeks, 60 lbs the following two, and 90 lbs the last two weeks. I hope this is a good sign that surgery will not be needed.

I hope everyone is doing well with their injuries and healing fast, or as fast as possible. I really can't stand crutches anymore and I've gotten to the point of pretty much everyone who can walk.

hello all
and thanks for all info i didn't know i needed
I have been in below knee plaster and on crutches for just over a week, and was told strictly non-weight bearing, which i have progressively ignored - living situation makes getting around only on crutches almost impossible. but now i am freaking about fact that i have been walking on it a wee bit. piecing all your words together puts the injury into more perspective - i never did understand or have explained why the full-on response to this fracture. shall be taking more care now, and resigning to the next five weeks of obeying the rules.

Hey everyone

Jones fractures definitely are not fun but THERE IS HOPE! It may seem bleak at first but after 12 weeks of strictly following my doctor's orders my fracture is almost 100% healed, that is with conservative treatment, no surgery.

I guess I wanted to give everyone with this problem a little encouragement because I became very disheartened after reading many stories of unsuccessful Jones fracture treatment. I thought I would be damaged forever but just on Monday I was allowed off my crutches with full weight but still in a boot.

This fracture is extremely slow healing so listen to your doctors and follow their advice even if it is really inconvenient. It will pay off. Good luck everyone!!

Wow...I was discouraged reading all the posts on Jones fracture....I broke my wrist, ankle and foot (Jones Fracture) on Dec. 1st when I fell off a chair while putting up garland....The wrist and ankle have already healed...but the Jones Fracture has not....it has been almost 7 weeks now and I'm pretty bummed as well...glad to hear the last post healed without having surgery...I have felt burning at the exact break ever since the accident but in the last week..it seems to have lessened some...and I'm hoping that is a sign of healing taking place...I can't even imagine putting weight on that foot even when the cast is off....but going crazy being cooped up in my home....wheelchair bound since I also broke my wrist....good luck to all...

I sustained a jones frature when I was working in the mall at a halloween store. That was on November 7th. My surgery was the 13th of november. I still have not healed. My doctor put a 5.5 mm screw in my right foot. I still use a cane to walk and i cannot exercise or anything without my toe swelling 4 times its normal size. And this what my orthopedic says to me " I never seen that before" but he says i could be allerigic to the metal. My physical therapist wanted me to look info up online. I am 21 years a female and signed a modeling contract with highlight modeling. so now everthings ruined and my orthopedic is giving up. please help me.

I am also healing from a Jones Fracture, now going on 5 1/2 weeks. I was put into a hard cast 4 1/2 weeks ago and I get it off tomorrow. I'm also 8 months pregnant and I have 2 other young children to care for. Crutches are so hard to get around on right now I mostly prefer to stay inside. It's hard to imagine doing this much longer, but thank you for the reality that I might still have a ways to go. Of course I am anxious to get back to normal, as are all of you. Thanks for the hope that conservative methods can work, even if it takes A LOT longer than I had anticipated! This is a huge lesson in patience for me! Good luck to all of you, hope you heal quickly!

Hello all,
I sustained a Jones Fracture March 23rd playing in a Marine Corps basketball tournament. My cast was removed yesterday and I was transitioned into a walking-cast, although I still must use crutches. Not great but a good step up!

Thankfully my command is not requiring me to work much or do any ceremonial or drilling activities, but I must say that sitting around in my apartment day after day is killing me. I have friends and family visiting from time, which is very helpful, but not being able to be the independent person that I am is very frustrating. I've undoubtedly gained weight, feel lethargic, and watch way too much TV. About the only stimulating thing I do on a daily basis is practice my trumpet. Doctors keep saying this is a long healing process, and while I'm grateful to have come this far without any setbacks, 7.5 weeks is a long time to sit on your butt. I'm chomping at the bit to start doing something and can't wait to get back to work.

Good luck everyone!

I sustained a jones fracture in Sept 2008 by stepping in a whole when swimming in the ocean. My doctor had me in a hard cast, on crutches for 8 weeks. Then he said "lets push this thing and see what happens". So I was off the crutches, and wearing a special shoe for another 16 weeks. It worked. No surgery needed, and this was a complete break. I agree with all the posts above, its a hard thing to deal with, especially the not knowing if its going to heal without surgery. Just stay off the foot, and give it time. I hope everyone has as good luck as i had.

Hey everyone I am a repeat Jones fracture guy :'(. First time I was running and twisted my ankle, had a complete break but it was lined up fine. I did 6 weeks hard cast and crutches followed by 6 weeks of a walking boot. 4 weeks after that I was finally allowed to be active again!

That was January I was back running and lifting feeling great until the beginning of April I was playing basketball and twisted the same ankle and rebroke my Jones Fracture >;). I opted for the screw because im tired of messing with this shitty break! It is very frustrating and I feel for everyone... Hang in there it is now June and hopefully this week I will be able to walk again without a walking boot. I am scared however I will break it again.