Hi all,
I have been reading the posts on last thread, I guess it got large again. I am 4.5 weeks post surgery for my lisfranc and complex fractures/disloc. and things seem to be doing well. The pesky swelling still comes. The 11 screws and plate and bone graft and fusion are doing pretty good so far. The doctor is going to take the cast off on June 29 to XRAY and see how the bone graft went and to see if we have a "union" with the fusion and the bone graft. Hopefully all will be well. The pain is practically nothing now. Havent taken any pain killers since 7 days after surgery. I am not able to return to any work in the hospital until I am able to fully weight bear. I guess I feel like I am going through a little bit of depression with this issue, Lots on my plate, and wanting to do the right things. I know all will turn out ok, just sometimes get in the "blues". I am just blessed to have my body functioning the way it should. I will keep up this post and let others know the progress as things go along.

Blessings,
Hizgrace

Sorry redundancy,
You can read about my posts on threads 1 and 2

Blessings

Hi HizGrace!

I just found the post from you to me from June 4th. Thank you! My surgery went really well on June 8th. My doctor told me that the whole surgical staff was intrigued by how my foot moved into proper alignment as the screw was inserted and tightened.
I understand your moments of depression, and I believe that is to be expected but just keep looking up! You sound like you are doing really well. What is hardest for me is to want to do something and then realize that I can't reach what is needed. Of course, I'm just starting my recovery. I am getting around my home in a wheelchair since crutches could be a disaster worse than this.
I have also been told I can keep the screw in if it doesn't bother me. My GP broke his ankle and perhaps part of his foot and has 8 screws and plans on keeping them in if he can. One will have to come out, and he is kind of squimish about that. I guess it all depends on the doctor and one's individual situation.
The Lord will provide for you, your husband, and family. The enemy would like to cause confusion and discouragement, but our future is in the Lord's Hand.

Hi Musictch,
I am SOOO glad for you that your surgery went well. I hope you have someone there to help and encourage you. I am getting closer to having my cast taken off on the 29th. I hope the XRAYs show some really good progression. I am wondering what will be next. I work in the pharmacy at the naval hospital, and I know the people in the ortho clinic as I work there to cover for those going to Iraq. I am going to see if I can get some purple or red cast material from them to put on if I need to have another cast on after the XRAYS. The hospital only has white material. They mentioned the cam boot for my leg next time. I had the knee specialist cut about a 3 inch incision in my calf to stretch my tendon as he said it was too tight and it might cause some problems with the walking. It is a little tender today, feels a little wierd.

You know musictch, I was considering going back to college to be a teacher. I really enjoy kids and they REALLY need to be encouraged by others. You know, I play piano, but mostly I am able to play by ear after a few times of hearing. I guess I shouldnt be lazy and learn the music though. I am going to run though. Please keep me posted on your progress. Bless you !!!

Hizgrace

I just returned from my dr.'s office, and he said he will remove the stitches next week. I have also been given permission to get out some since I showed that I can be responsible to rest when needed (which is when I finish writing this and eating my lunch!). I am already in the cam boot. In some ways, it is less comfortable than the cast, but one has more freedom with it. After sleeping with it on for a week, it will be nice to take it off tonight. How are you getting around? You are far worse off than I. Do you still have someone to help you at home?

What would you like to teach? Unfortunately, there aren't many jobs for music teachers since everything in the classroom is geared toward "no child left behind." But, good teachers are always needed. Teaching is also something you could do if your standing is limited. That is not to say you won't heal up and be fine, but it is always nice to have job options. I have been sitting on a stool in the classroom for years due to severe back pain so the injured foot just added to my needing it. Hasn't stopped me from teaching my students to make a joyful noise! It's too bad that you aren't taking classes now when you can't do much physically.

Hang in there. It will all come clear to you! And, DO learn to read that music! ;-)

I, too am recovering from a lisfranc injury - right foot. This is week 3 for me...in a boot (cam) cast...much freedom...wear at night...pain gone after 1st week...hurts now only after over-activity...use wheel chair when out...walker at home...soft bones...have pins in foot vs. screw... 1st dr's appt - x-rays...changed bandage...more & more freedom expected each time...read that appts should be 2, 4, 6, wks, then 3 mo, 4 mo, 6 mo, 1 yr, 2 yrs & 3 yrs for follow up...unfortunately had to find diagnosis online...surgeon confirmed...also treatment & healing process seems on schedule...just minimal explanation by surgeon. Told can drive only after approx 6 mo healing. Yes, lack of mobility can be depressing...but remember - things could be worse !!! Soon, this will be a memory...I use sealing saran wrap for the shower and a shower seat...have learned to group things together that I will need to use regularly...leave pajamas on bed for night, etc..Think ahead !!! I am a retired teacher...if you love working with kids - know that the experience of teaching is all that you can imagine & more !! Go for it !! Good luck !