I had a  distal radius fracture; it was not dislocated and was in a cast for 29 days.   Cast was removed yesterday and I was given a velcro splint, which I can adjust for tighter or looser fit, and I can remove it.

I'm not clear on the wrist healing process.  Web sites routinely discuss a cast for six weeks, then a splint.  But my orthopedic Dr. said I'm allowed to do anything I want as long as it doesn't hurt.  He was OK with some gardening, including digging with a pick and shovel if I could manage that with the splint on.  He has me scheduled for physical therapy in a week.  When I suggested waiting for two weeks he said OK but it would just make full motion recovery take longer.

I have not found, on the web, any discussion of what the splint is for, how to use it and how active I can be this soon after the cast.

Thanks for any advice.

Ray

I wrote the original post and have had no responses of any kind.  My wrist is healed and I am moving on.

Cheers!

My distal radius fracture needed surgery. Cast removed after 6 weeks. Using velcro splint since 1 week. Physiotherapy started. Pls tell for how long do I have to wear this brace? Also how kuch time to gain almost full ROM?