Hello! My grandmother has just come back from her cataract surgery. We all hope she will be able to do her everyday activities after this surgery. I took her home since she wasn’t able to drive her car. She feels mild itching but her eye turned red and painful few hours ago and she is feeling headache at the moment. I know that endophthalmitis is an infection that has these symptoms but I am not sure what to do.

Hello! Cataract surgery is one of the procedures that disrupt the integrity of the globe just as retinal and glaucoma surgery or radial keratotomy. Endophthalmitis is one of the most feared complications after intraocular surgery. It usually occurs when the organisms, which reside at the eyelashes, eyelid or conjunctiva, are introduced at the time of surgery and cause infection. Take your grandmother to her doctor and he will prescribe some antibiotics and eventually steroids which are used as standard treatment to decrease inflammation.