4 days ago i woke up with a red irritation under my left eye, and slightly under my right eye. the rash like irritation starts at the tear ducts and continues on out from the nose (not directly under the eye but a few mm below). The rash has not healed and it is now rough to the touch and looks dry and flaky. It looks more like a sunburn than dermatitis. I do not have a history of eczema or any other skin condition, this is the first time i have had any type of irritation like this.
what could it be? should i try a topical steroid?

I have the same type of thing you describe. I have had it for several years. It is in the same location, sort of under both eyes. No itching but red and a little crusty. Nothing gets rid of it. No moisturizing or creams, nothing. Stress, weather extremes, and certain allergies can make it worse. I get comments that I look like I have had tight glasses on all day. I have no idea what it is or how to treat it. A few Dermatologists have prescribed creams that did nothing. No definitive diagnosis ever. I'm lost. Let me know if you hear of anything.

I have had rash below my eyes for last 6months. It itches and it is spreading on cheeks.

Also the skin below eyes is turing loose. Dermatologist gave me hydrocortisone but it does not help in long run. I am trying to see allergist and then eye doctor.

Please let me know if you find something on this.

I also have noticed red irritation under both my left and right eye recently. I have to admit that I was rubbing my eyes, perhaps because of dryness, I'm not sure. My rash seems to be redder in the morning an very puffy and flaky. It is very itchy and I'm not sure what I should be doing to help it. I don't have any history of skin irritation or other skin condition. This is also my first time i have had any type of irritation like this. Does anyone have any solutions?

I have EXACTLY the same thing. I've tried everything from washing my pillow cases in different detergent, changing make-up products, every kind of cream and lotion on the market. I changed to all hypo-allergenic products and still I have this condition. It gets a little better and then returns. I have no idea what else I can do. It gets so dry, red and itchy it makes my skin wrinkle. If anyone knows of a magical cure, please let me know.

I also have this my eye doctor gave me fml oint and cleared it right up the dermatologist did nothing

Posted: 01/07/09 : " I also have this my eye doctor gave me fml oint and cleared it right up the dermatologist did nothing "

What is "fml oint?"

The skin under my eyes has also gotten really red and irritated. It started out as dry skin and I kept rubbing at it, but now it's developed into a rash. The skin is really red and painful. I tried a bunch of different lotions and creams and changed my eye makeup remover, but none of those helped. I'm going to see a doctor in the next couple of days because I think it might be cellulitis. I've started putting neosporin on the skin and it seems to be helping the redness and pain go away. I think antibiotics and regularly moisturizing the skin are going to be the only things to help.

I have been dealing with a persistent eye rash for months. It started itching and after rubbing it on and off for days, I woke up with one ey really puffy. I went to my Dr. and he thought I had an infection, but not pink eye and put me on an antibiotic. It did nothing. I saw my regular optometrist and he said it could be something like poison ivy/oak and thought a steroid cream like cortisone, might help. When that did nothing, I went back to my Dr. who tried steroids(they worked when I did have poison ivy rashes) and those helped, but as soon as I stopped, the reashes came back. I tried changing make-up, shampoos, detergents..you name it. Ithen went ot a dermatologist who immediately diagnosed the problem as coming from my toenail polish! I though he was crazy, but I did get rid of it and that helped, but it has still resurfaced and the only relief I get is ZYRTEC and neosporin on the rash at night. I give up! I hate how it's aged my eyes so quickly. Any help on a diagnosis or remedy would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Try doing a skin resurfacing treatment and see if that works. Usually, new skin cells might be able to deal with the problem while old skin cells might not.

There are laser treatments that are really good.

Hope is helps ;-)

I keep getting this reoccurring rash under both eyes. They the area gets real swollen and itchy and there are times when it feels like theres chemical on them. I was on antibiotics and steriods and finished the medicines and its back again.

A friend of mine told me to look up Celulitis which is a bacterial infection under the skin. She said she got it so back she landed in the ER. Basically they gave her antibiotics (the type you give for mersa) and it did go away. I have an appt. with the eye dr today and hoping she can help me get to the bottom of this!

I have been dealing with the same thing off and on throughout the years. I went to my doctor and she told me it was a bacteria infection. What you do is by some baby shampoo (I use Johnson & Johnson). Then rub it around your eyes and make sure you clean your eyelashes with it. Do it for a few days and it should help. What causes it is bacteria entering the tissue under your eye through your eyelashes. It can become a bigger problem based on what kind of bacteria it is. Mine is a form of staph so sometimes I have to be placed on antibiotics to get it to go away.

Hi All, I can understand what you are going through. I had the same thing for almost 1.5 years. I developed a patch of dry skin under my eyes that would flake off every few days. The skin around my eyes would itch a lot and hurt. Gradually it developed into rashes, swollen areas around my eyes, redness and folds under the eyes. I kept applying moisturiser (E45) or oil of emu. I would get temporary relief, but the rashes wouldn't go away. The rashes then spread to my neck, jawline and around my lips. This scared the hell out of me. At that time I lived in London. The dermatologists in London told me these were allergies and either I had to learn to live with them or leave London. I chose the latter. I came to India (I am an Indian originally). Initially my condition worsened. My neck would bleed - the rashes were so bad. I was lucky to meet 2 doctors - one dermatologist and one Ayurvedic doctor. Both the doctors told me to cut down stress and travel (I have a very stressful job and I was travelling like crazy between continents - Asia, Australia, North America and EU). The dermatologist sent me for a IGE level test which suggested I had developed allergies to many things - pollen, dust, UV rays and God knows what. She gave me anti-histamines(10 mg Atarax) for 15 days plus a topical steroid cream of very low potency (Fucibact) to heal the rashes on my face and neck. Though this helped tremendously, the anti-histamines would make me very drowsy. So we gradually cut down on anti histamines and also tapered the topical steroid cream once all rashes had healed and there was no redness (took just 2-3 weeks). Along with this I continued to see the Ayurvedic doctor. He gave me loads to immunity boosters - some medicines in liquid form and some as tablets. I was also asked to cut down on fried foods and salt, increase intake of Vitamin C, fresh juices - especially sweet lime or tomatoes, drink plenty of water, take lots of rest, apply fresh yogurt on my face and neck twice a day, eat yogurt and most important - not to think a lot about my condition. I took these immunity boosters for 3 months. Today I have no rashes, not even scars. Sometimes I feel a little itchy under my eyes if I enter a store-room/ attic which makes me infer that it could be the dust or may be mold. I am still taking a general health tonic and lots of vitamin C (celery, lime, green chillies whenever possible, anwla, any natural source of Vitamin C). Yogurt on and off. I have been good so far and I hope I stay this way even after.

Cheers

The simplest solution I have ever found is just using tea bags of any sort (although I like the non-caffeine variety) and putting them under my eyes. That has helped me more than anything. Has anyone tried that?

Wow didn't know other people had this! I just thought it was an allergic reaction to make-up (although as you all have I have change all brands to chemical free ones etc...
I find that a dermatitis cream works but need to be careful with what you use around your eyes and this dermatitis cream I believe thins the skin and that's the last thing you want to do around your eyes. But it's the only thing I have found that gets rid of it.

Oh and the guest who posted a message on the "Posted: 03/24/09 - 19:36", I'm exactly the same - this condition I believe is making me get slights wrinkles under my eyes and I can't seem to get rid of them...and I'm only 22!! Think I'll be getting some surgery by the time I'm 30!
Thanks for the help guys, next time I go for an eye test I'll be asking the Dr about it being a possible bacterial infections!??