Sorry for the longevity of this account but I believe it's important.

About 2.5 months ago I began a new job that entails a lot of knowledge and a lot of physical training. Prior to obtaining this new job I never had any issues with any physical ailments or medical issues. I've been healthy as anything since i can remember. As i began this new job (and subsequent Physical Training), I noticed that I would randomly Dry-heave at various points throughout the day. It's came on rather suddenly and oddly enough it seems to be to the only symptom of any ailment i may have. But i truly have no idea what could be causing this random dry-heaving. Here are some facts about it with me:

-Occurs nearly everyday at random points in the day. Sometimes I am doing nothing but sitting and reading, other times I will be outside washing the car. And other times in between of course.

-Occurs during my workouts everytime I do physical training. Usually running and aerobic-type workouts. (As of now I run about 3-4 miles a day and do alot of calesthetics(sp) nearly everyday as well. Have been doing this for about 2.5 months)

-Occurs often when I venture into the cold. If i run outside to grab the paper or just go outside for a moment in 50 degree weather or below, I often times get this feeling of dry-heaving and i usually do.

-I have not yet actually vomited, Only dry-heaved. ANd it usually occurs for about 2 secs then goes away for a while. If i breathe in real deep I can usually get it to go away without much fuss.

It began right as I began my new job and new training. I've been told it could be stress related, but I'm past the nervousness of a new job, and I've had a work and PT routine down now for a good 2.5 months. I rarely am stressed anytime before, during, or after work. This feeling hits me almost everyday (at random points in the day), and ALWAYS during physical training.

My health besides this seems perfect. No other pains or problems, I sleep fine, I eat relatively healthy, No digestive problems really, very little junk food and soda, i dont take any drugs or medications, I drink a beer once a month maybe, and I'm in great shape overall, nor do I or have I ever smoked. I just have NO idea where this dry-heaving is coming from but it's getting very discomforting.

My doctor did some blood tests and said everything looks fine except something to do with the liver or kidney (sorry for my lack of knowledge here, I know those are two very important organs, you'd think I could remember which one he was talking about) but I'm not sure which. He recommend i get an ultra-sound done and I plan on doing it this week.

Does anyone else have any experience with this, or any recommendations? Maybe some ideas as to what could be causing it? As i said before I have no other noticeable symptoms of any other disease or health issue that I am aware of. Any Help would be great!

I have been experiencing exactly the same. It started whilst I was playing football on a Saturday afternoon a few months back. At half time I could not stop heaving but nothing coming up. It stopped after a couple of minutes. Now it happens everyday at random times and at night whilst I'm laying in bed awake. I'm never sick, only heave.
Have you found out anything further? I think it might be a trip to the doctors for me to have some tests. At first I didn't think much of it, but now I don't know what to think.

I also have suffered from random dry-heaves for the last month or so. My job was very stressful several months ago, but has now mellowed off, so I don't think the two are related...but sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head.

I also recently had blood work done and several of the ratios, having to do with liver function, were low. My Dr. suggested I try some supplements and thinks it will come back to normal. I have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist on Friday to discuss my dry heaves.

I am wondering if the liver function and dry heaves could be related...still to be resolved, but I hate how it makes me feel.
I have lost the appetite I used to have because of it.

I have been experiencing dry heaves as well. It is coming off of a stressful time, much like you describe.

I had blood work done and several of the areas related to my liver function were low. My Dr. has suggested supplements and thinks things will balance out by me taking vitamins.

I have an apt. scheduled on Friday with a Gastroenterologist to talk over my dry-heaving.

Often mine happens in the mid-morning, after my breakfast (typically a granola bar) has digested. At first I thought maybe I just needed to eat something, but then for a while I was having the dry heaves after I ate too. I can't figure out if this is all in my head or what. I really have a desire to eat and enjoy food (and do not want to lose weight.)

MY FRIEND HAS UNEXPLAINED DRY HEAVES, USUALLY IN THE MORNING. THEY LAST FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES. NOTHING IS PRODUCED. HE THOUGH MAYBE IT WAS ACID AS HE DRINKS 2 CUPS OF COFFEE IN THE MORNINGS. ALSO DRINKS A LOT OF COKE THROUGH THE DAY AND BEER IN THE EVENING. HE CUT ALL OF THESE WAY BACK FOR QUITE SOME TIME AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED. HE'S BEEN HAVING THE DRY HEAVES FOR ABOUT 1 1/2 YEARS NOW ON AND OFF. THE OTHER NIGHT IT HAPPENED DURING SEX. IT HAS US QUITE CONCERNED AND HE DOESN'T HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ANSWERS PLEASE LET US KNOW.

I am also experiencing random dry heaves. I have recently lost 40 pounds and wondered if that was causing them. I was under a great deal of stress at work and have just changed jobs. I thought this would help, but was surprised to find I still had them. My doctor told me it could be caused by stress or an ulcer. I am having an upper endoscopy tomorrow. I am also going to have him check my liver. I have also been tired lately and was recently asked if I am anemic.

Has anyone been told that anemia was causing their symptoms?

Very interesting. I have been having this same problem for several years now. It's been about 4 yrs. Sometimes I heave enough that a little tiny bit of "stuff" will come up, but that's it.

This has really cut into my life because I never know when it's going to hit! I'm afraid to go anywhere anymore because I never know when it will happen.

I've found that taking Ginger Root tablets during the day helps greatly. Is it a placebo effect or real? I don't know. But I do know it helps.

I haven't told my Dr about it because I don't want her to think I'm just a typical woman with anxiety. It's not anxiety. I will just take my ginger and try to go on with my life.

I graduate from college soon, and I really hope this doesn't become a problem with my new job. Here's hoping all of us can find some help or cure.

I have been experiencing the same thing, in my case I have concluded that its a lack of sleep and change of patterns in my diet (I weight train and usually eat 6 meals a day but on some days I cut it down to 2 meals a day, very inconsistant and unhealthy) and I think this factors in to it. Other than that I don't think its anything internal to any of you guys, but what do I know?

I have been experiencing the dry heaving as well for the past month. I am scared it was pregnancy, but I am on birth control. I changed my birth control to a lower dose so hopefully that helps. I am going to school and just took a leadership position as well so that could be factoring it. I am not very stressed, or at least I don't feel like it. So I'm wondering if perhaps I am and the results are showing as I dry heave instead of being overwhelmed? I haven't went to the dr yet because I am a poor college student.. I was wondering what kind of supplements for your liver your doctor has prescribed you? I would like to try them as some type of relief... and help is welcome.
Thanks.

well jsut like all of you, yes, i get the same thing.. ONLY in the morning though...

And like someone previously said, I thought it was because I drink to much coffee/smoke to much pot, which both I know can affect appetite negatively. It only happens in the morning, im not hungry, so I cant eat, and i try puke up nothing... it can get very painful as im sure some of you know, your stomach just tightens up every time.... Anywyas, the pains no problem... it just annoying sitting there trying to puke up stomach acids. every darn morning.. maybe ill try the ginger root thing.... like I would go to my doctor, but whats that going to solve... he'll tell me to cut back on coffe I guarantee.... anyways.... they ought to come out with some sort of prescription that can get rid of this, dont you all agree??

I've had this happen for 5 years now. It started when I was at a very physical job in shipping. It continued years later but only when I was going to work in the morning.

Dr. said it was derived from anxiety and wanted to put me on medication for it.

I was in between jobs and when I wasn't working for a few months...the heaves stopped completely.

It seems to be stress related..at least in my case..

I've read other blogs and reports and found that it may be caused by anxiety or an acid reflux problem if you notice you dry heave after meals
any other findings let me know as I am suffering from these dry heaving spells as well

I too have experienced the dry heave spells, but like another post said, almost always just in the morning. I have a high stress job, but these spells started a couple of years ago before I had this job. I also experience heartburn/acid reflux quite a bit as well so I've always thought it was related to that. But if it is liver related perhaps a vitamin deficiency may cause it? I'll try the Ginger Root and see if taking different antacids might help. If anyone comes to a conclusion, I'd love to hear it.

I am another one that gets dry heaves. They mostly happen in the morning or at night while brushing my teeth. Once in a while I will go through times where they happen throughout the day.

It is very annoying. It started happening about 4 or 5 years ago while under a lot of stress. I am still in a stressful job but it doesn't happen too often anymore while I am working. It's mostly in the morning or at night while brushing my teeth.

I was planning on making an appointment with my doctor as well. I want to get all blood work done and a thorough physical. Hopefully they give me an answer.

I will say that I always feel saliva in my throat so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Well, I have had the same experience for the past few years, I found out that most of my troubles were due to a Duodenal Ulcer. This type of ulcer doesn't bleed, wont show up on any blood tests. I went in for a Barium x ray of my stomach and it showed up with that. I would recommend you all to do the same thing and then you can start on a protein pump prohibitor medication. When I took that for a bit I was 90% better.