I have been a chronic pain patient for almost 5 yrs. I have bone spurs and torn discs in my L-3 thru S-1. I started on Lortab and got up to 80mg a day. When I moved to a new state and found a new PM doc, he put me on 30mg Oxycodone 4x a day. Sometimes I take more, depending on the pain that day. He also gives me 2 10mg hydrocodone daily. I have tried other methods of pain relief, i.e. fentynol patches, 30mg morphine ER. I felt that those were too strong, and one of the major side effects for me was severe mood swings.. The doc wanted me to start with methadone 10mg 4x daily, but i was too scared to start that. I still have 2 months worth left over... I have taken it a few times when I have run out of my meds a few days early, so that I don't go into WD's... not a nice thing to go thru...
I want to come off the pain meds for several reasons... 1. I know i have built up a huge tolerance and I don't want to go on MORE meds... I am only 33 yrs old. 2. My husband and I are wanting to start a family, and I don't want to subject an innocent unborn child to such toxic medicine...
My question here is this... Is it safe to use the Methadone for a short time (maybe 1 week) to get the Oxy out of my system? If so, will I STILL go through the WD once I do that? I'm thinking to take 1 10mg tab 2x a day for 3 days, then bring it down to 1/2 2x a day for a few days, then down to just 1/2 once a day, and after a few days like that, maybe 1/2 every other day for a few days. You get my point...
Would I still go through the hellish symptoms? Has anyone done this before? And what are your thoughts? I'm afraid to bring this up to my Doc becaues I am afraid he will just take me off the meds all at once, and obviously I do not want to do that!
If I could go back in time, I NEVER would have started taking narcotics on a daily basis.... Any feedback or coments/help would be truly appreciated!! God Bless and Feel Good Today!

Boy are you talking to the right person. I was "Addicted" to OXY and Perocet for over 6 years!!! I have been clean of them for 2 years and coming up 6 months. It was HELL, but it is do able. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not do this by yourself. No doctor in his/ her right mind will stop your drugs cold turkey. If they do, report them! AND that is your addictive brain telling you that too! I remember saying to my new doctor - "YOU BETTER NO TAKE ME OFF THESE!!!!!!" Bascially warning him. And his reply was the same as everyone elses "Your heart would stop if I did that!!" So it took from March to September to get me off of them, I tried Methadone, but you have to wean off that too. All Methadone is, is a Herroin substitute. Just like the nicotine patch. So Get some professional advice 1st OK? You CAN do this and you WILL do this. Also know there are meds out there that have been proven safe while pregnant, so talk to your doctor about that too. I had a friend with TERRIBLE RA and she made it through her pregnancy. You needed the pain relief so don't beat yourself up over that! Did you know that the makers of Oxycodone and Oxycocet were taken to court a few years ago, because they downplayed the fact of just HOW addicting their drugs were? Did you know that more people are addicted to these 2 drugs then Herroin!!!! same thing actually! So YOU, I and all the other 10's of thousands of poor adicts out there are DEFINITELY NOT responsible for these guys making the drugs we needed so addicting. BUT we have to deal with the after affects right? So get some help - medical! And wean yourself off them slowly. Just a note, your pain will probably increase while this is happening, it is not only symptomatic but your brain begging you to get back on them. So just make sure your doctor has something in place to take the pain away, before that gets a hold of you OK? GOOD LUCK! You CAN do this.! God bless!

Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement! I totally know this is do-able, but I am so scared to go through the detox... It's scary to read that it takes some people MONTHS!! I'm sure I could endure a week or two, but if it lasted much longer than that, I know I'd be right back where I started! Also, I'm curious to know where my pain level would be now, without the narcotics...
Is it true that your heart can stop from WD's? I have felt the pain of the sweats, watery eyes, muscle aches, anxiety, the WORST upset stomach ever (although I never vomited, always came out the other way), and the inability to sleep more than 2 hrs at a time... A few Benedryl & Pepto during the day and an ambien or valium at night relieve some of those symptoms a bit, but obviously not completely... it is just so SCARY to me to think that you could DIE from detoxing! My husbands job takes him out of town about 4 nights a week, and living in a new town where I have no family or good friends is hard enough. Do they ever admit you to the hospital for detox? How does that work? I don't really have an addictive personality, so I don't think I would need the rehab part (maybe I do), & I am not worried about trading one dependency for another...
I am getting anxious just thinking about this!!!

I have been taking morphine for eleven years and I am up to 200mg twice a day. They are time release capsule that I get very little relief from pain with. Everything has now failed me and I now believe that most my pain is from the narcotic and not my three forms of arthritis. YOU CAN NOT DO THIS ALONE! Narcotic addiction is very dangerous stuff! YOU …….CAN..........DIE........DOING IT ALONE! Many others have and if they don’t die they almost always fail. I have reach out so many time that I forgot and no one has yet to help me. This is why I am going to keep looking for a facility to surround myself with doctors, nurses, psychiatrists, and social works that I hope care enough to help me thru this with the least amount of discomfort. I know there will be discomfort though probably a lot more than that but I am going to do this in order to be successful and NOT DIE!

NEVER EVER TRY TO GET OFF NARCOTIC ADDICTION ALONE, YOU COULD DIE!

Dear Guest and Doctor: You both have to take a moment and thing about the fact that this narcotic has been in your systems for YEARS!!! Neither of you can just STOP in a week or so. I too thought "OMG this is going to take forever! But is a couple of months of SLOWLY getting off this crazy roller coaster - FOREVER!!!? No it isn't, you both have made a HUGE 1st step in actually coming clean that you are addicts. Believe it or not, it wasn't till I watched the movie "Ray" About Ray Charles that I realized "Hey he is acting like I am!!" My friends, doctors, family had told me I was addicted (I of course refused to hear that) but it was that movie that changed my life. I walked into a walkin clinic and told this WONDERFUL doctor that I was an addict. I cried for about an hour. So you both have took that step, now you have to forget the urgency of getting this "c**p" out of your system and do it logically. It is just your regular brain saying "You wont control me for one more second" It is VERY true however that your addicted brain, could make things worse for you as far as pain goes. And lets face facts ALL three of us AND the rest, have been numbed out to the pain. So the 1st thing to do IS find a good clinic, find a good doctor, and get a plan in place, to SLOWLY wean yourself off of this nightmare. IT is TOTALLY Doable. You know that old saying - "If I can do it, you can do it!?" well that applies here.

I actually licked the package of the percocet once, because I had taken too many and wasn't due!! I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror after that. I knew that IF a doctor had told me he was quitting it all together I would have don ANYTHING to get it. I am a married mother of 2, middle income, own my house and there I was willing to do WHATEVER it took to get some more. So ANY reputable doctor will NEVER tell you to do cold turkey! And if they do, get the hell out of his room immediately. Slow and easy, DO NOT DETOX by yourself!!!! PERIOD! It could be fatal, and you will soon learn that your addicted brain will NOT give up that easy! It will make you sicker than you have EVER been and it will not stop till you have another pill! Get a pill cutter, and start just slowly weaning yourself off them, sometimes Methadone works - didn't really for me beacuse I was still in pain. Did you know that pain and addiction are basically a new phenomenon!? That Doctors are still trying to wrap their heads around! How do they keep you from being on pain, but get you off the opiates? Imagine that dilemma!!! Same for us right? We are afraid of the pain, and afraid of the addiction. It's a double loaded gun. BUT it can be done. I am presently on Tramacet for pain, and a bunch of other things for panic attacks, sleep and restless leg syndrome. BUT I am not stoned! I can function! There is light at the end of this tunnel for both of you. You just need to take a breath and realize it is going to take some time. I'm not talking YEARS, I am talking weeks/months. And after all the c**p you both have been through, a few months is not going to bring your life to a halt. I didn't have any of the symptoms of withdrawal!! That you are going through - Guest - I had oppiate toxicity!!! I had SO MUCH opiates in my systems my skin would blister! I would throw up and the rest, i couldn't be near a window or have a warm shower and teh night terrors were something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. So there is both sides here. So PLEASE take my advice and get a good doctor, and get a plan in place to slowly get yourself off this c**p yet still control the pain. PROMISE ME THIS OK? And let me know how it is going. God bless to you both. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

Wow, bambi27, it's really inspiring to read a lot of your posts here. I think that your perspective has been invaluable but I do think it's important for me to throw my two cents in there: you are 100% right about quitting on your own. It is not something that you can safely and reliably do to get off drugs. You need professional help, and the sooner you get it, the sooner you will start to feel better. I know it's daunting, but you will be so much better off in the long run. Guest, good luck to you. Please keep us posted on your situation and your recovery!

Thankyou health guy: I actually just came back from my doctors - new prescription time. And a doctor from Iran was there, we were all talking about what I went through, and I mentioned this site and the issues that other people, like me, have. The doctor from Iran said he never had to deal with that in Iran, because the government doesn't allow opiates!!!! You have to wait a year just to get methadone! He mentioned that one of his 1st patients - here - had OCD he washed his hand 30 to 40 times a day and couldn't touch anything. He was also on Percocet, he was about to take his final pill - before filling his next perscription and it fell in the toilet AFTER he went!!!!!!!!!!!!! o.O He reached in and pulled out the pill and swallowed it!!!!!!! Can you imagine for one second how pwerful his addicted brain was to overcome the OCD part!? He realized at that moment just how bad he was off, and got some help. That is what these "legal" drugs do to us! So I totally understand everones feelings!

Its actually very hard to die from Opiate Withdrawals. Benzo and or Alcohol withdrawal... yes. Opiates not so much.

I think your taper plan would be worth a shot. Maybe just try and see if you can hold yourself over with one in the morning.

Keep in mind that Methadone WDs can last a long time.

Hey I'm the guy that's been on narcotics for eleven years now and I read all the other notes, trying to keep up and I wanted to maybe ask for someones help out there. I understand the addiction and what I must do to get off but so many people do not understand this. I am also epileptic and withdrawal reduces my threshold to the point that I begin to have seizuers. The doctors do not know why I have seizure I have had them since I was 12 but if I am force anywhere bad withdrawal I could go into a seizuer and not ever come out. This is what is scaring the hell out of me and I cannot find a facility anywhere that will accept me. I have written every talk show under the sun and no one is helping! I don't know how to tell people anymore but my doctor is acting real strange. When I went in there to tell him I was absolutly coming off narcotics he acted like I just shoot his dog. I think he is simple going to cut me off cold turkey and there is a very good chance this will kill me. I do not know what to do. I have called a every facility I can find on the internet, and hospitals that have drug programs. Either they won't take me or they seem more like a prison ward then a rehab facility. I can not do the 12 step, this is not what this person needs. What I need is a place that will preserve my dignity and my self esteame. I had a real crappy childhood and spent the last forty years trying to become a human being now all the human being have left the planet and I am the only one left.
I do not know what to do, HELP!

Hey this is the eleven year addict again. Sorry about the spelling I forgot to use my spell checker, I really spell like c**p. It's the one thing I could never do well. I have a PhD in Computer Science but I could never learn to spell. Well hope you make sense out of what I wrote and I hope there is some kind sole out there that can point me in the right direction. He/She will have my gratitude the rest of my life.

Dear Doctor!!! My heart TOTALLY goes out to you and I TOTALLY get what you ARE talking about. I do not know where you live, but I am in Canada, and we CAN get the help. One thing I hope I have put forth in my messages to everyone about this terrible addiction is this! I am NOT talking about going through withdrawls AT ALL! I am talking about coming off these damn things WHILE still dealing with what got us on it in the first place. We were ALL put on Percocet, PErcodan etc for pain PERIOD! And I suspect you were given narcotics for your epilepsy. I was on certain drugs for epilepsy - becasue it has been proven to help with getting off opiates and the shakes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Doc, Do NOT stop these cold turkey! This is a weaning program that you need to be on WHILE STILL being on medications that can help you with your seizures and other complaints you might have. 2 days ago, I went to my lifesaver doctor and we talked about getting me off another medication that I've been on for panic attacks - due to the narcotics!! - So once again, he has a plan to SLOWLY wean me off the one, increase another so I will be down to 5 different types of medication from 6. I used to be on 12!!!!!!!! different medications every day. Up to 50 pills a day!!!!

What you have to understand is this Doc, Doctors and Pharmacists, and Pharmaceutical companies started this going in the 1st place right? The Doctors and Pharmacits that WEREN'T involved with the Pharmaceutical company that created this Narcotic, HADN'T got a clue about the severity of the drug they were perscribing to their patients. That is why the owners were taken to court and lost. So how does the medical community come together and solve this terrible dilema, that they were basically conspirators of!!!? Like I stated in other posts, HOW in heavans name can they get you off the premium pain killer, but still keep you pain free!!!!!? There are SO many of us Doc, Thousands upon Thousands of us around the world. And they are JUST starting to deal with AND come to grips with.

In your case, DO NOT mention anymore to anyone about going Cold Turkey!!! They know as well as we do it is or can be a suicide mission. That they will NEVER support. If you doctor even hints at cutting you off, you get out of there. Tell him you want to WEAN yourself off this and that drug. YET need to keep your symptoms under control! You see with me Doc, I NEVER had withdrawls because MY doctor made sure I didn't. So we tricked my brain, by NEVER comprimising it. My addicted brain, didn't have a clue what we were up too, because my pain never had a chance to consume me - thus empowering my addiction.!! And THAT is what you have to do! You HAVE to ceciate your addiction, while kicking it's but out of your life!!! You will be clearer, you will not have the time to miss it. I MISS the euphoria on it, and that is all it was for me a HIGH like no other. As my friends called it "My happy pills" I took them if I was mad, upset, in pain was the least of it! AND THAT IS THE ADDICTION The feeling of being HIGH!!! That is the one we don't want to give up isn't it? Not the pain release! Which is the reason we started on this in the 1st place!! Ironic isn't it.

So PLEASE promise me Doc, NOT to go CT, Not to Wean yourself off without back up! It's the ONLY way hon! OK? You CAN do it you CAN find someone to help you compensate with another medication 1st. And I promise you, you WILL overcome this! Please leep me informed and I wish you HEALTH, Sobriety and Strength.

I am in the same boat as you all. I was injured at work and have had 7 back surgeries and now addicted to Oxycodone. >;) I know that I am addicted I just don’t know how to get off of them. :'( I have been taking some kind of form of pain medication for about 4½ years now. From Percocet, Fentanyl Patch, Kadian, and Oxycontin, and have landed on Oxycodone 30mg every 4 hours, which I have been on for about 2 years now. I AM DONE!! I don’t like the way I feel, every day I wake up feeling like c**p and go to bed feeling like c**p, the only time I feel good is about 1 hour after I take my pill and it last maybe 3 hours then I start to feel like c**p again. I sweat like a PIG it is embarrassing to go anywhere because when other people are normal I am soaking wet with sweat. :$

I have started to wean myself off the medication, instead of waking up at night to take the pill I sleep through it. So let’s say I go to bed at 9pm I take a pill and then I try to sleep in as long as I can until the WD make me get up and take a pill on a good day that it about 9am. But sometimes I have to take 45mg to make the WD pain go away on my first dose of the morning. It is hell living like this. >:( I really want to know what my pain level would be without the med’s. Maybe I could function like a normal person, I will never know until I kick this habit.

I just moved to a new town and am unable to find a doctor, there are more patients here than doctors. %-) I feel like I am going crazy…my life is not the same as it was when I was clean. Nobody understands what you are going through. My husband works in Cardiac Care in a hospital and still doesn’t really understand what I am going through. :'( I just want to get off the med’s and live a normal life, If have been on other pain med’s like Vicodin and was able to get off of them NP. These not so much.

Because I can't find a doctor out here I don't know what to do :'( !

Reading all your stories really helped me. It seems like the only people who understand are the ones who are where I am. Thank you for posting and I hope we all can get off these darn drugs and live normal lives.

Hi Hon: To the powers that be, I swear this is not me writing in!!! ;-) XD

Your story is EXACTLY my story, and I hazzard a guess thousands upon thousands of others. When you mentioned sweating, do you also have a hard time near the sun, or a warm shower? If so you have "Opiate Toxicity" it's your normal natural body crying out to you to stop giving it so much opiates!!! For your addicted brain there will NEVER be enough, so the only way to do this is to trick it! When my doctor put me on Fentanyl he gave me the patch that they use for terminally ill cancer patients!!! It did NOTHING for me, I told him "It's like water!!!" o.O He couldn't believe my tollerence for pain medication. The ONLY way of doing this hon, is to have a back up. So while you are coming off the Oxy, you are substituted with another pain medication - non narcotic. What my wonderful GP did was figure out how much of one medication - in my case Tramacet - would it take to replace 10mg of Oxy. Then he would cut my Oxy by that much, and replace ith with the equivalent of Tramacet, I had NO withdrawls at all. And my brain didn't know what was happening.

As I have told others honey, DO NOT quit this cold turkey. You could end up having a heart attack. Your brain - the addicted side - will do WHATEVER it takes to make you continue. If you try and get off of this, I guarantee you, you will have pain - real or not - worse than you can imagine. IT is all from your brain!

You know if you are on a diet, and the experts say to use a smaller plate so your portion looks bigger? The EXACT same is true for the pills!!!! I know that sounds crazy but it's true. The 1st thing to do is get a pill cutter, cut all the pills in half. So when you are looking into the container, your brain is actually thinking "Heh I've got enough!" Because I am sure you are aware that when you start getting low, or have used too many, you will start panicking wont you?!!! It is wild what this brain can do to you! People have also mentioned "Phantom pain" there is no reason for the pain but it exists, similar to an amputee having a sore foot!!!

I understand about people not understanding, the one good thing in my life was my friends, my family and my work mates! They knew before I did that I had a problem. One of my girlfriends used to have discussions with my other friends about it!! Which I found out later of course. Your husband might not understand, because he probably has never been addicted. I used to NEVER understand why smokers smoked! I thought "Are you insane!!!!?" But now I know! I used to go and have to go to a downtown clinic and drink "Tang" - methadone, with street people, prostitutes etc. I would stand inline at 9:00am and I had a poloroid picture on the pharmacy wall, for all the world to see. And everyday, I would say my name point to my picture, drink my Tang, walk out Hoping and Praying no one would recognize me. Get to my car as quickly as possible and drive to work!! I thought, "I can't get much lower than this!" But I did - when I was down to my final HALF a pil!!!! Half a pill! AFter the huge amount I used to take, I told the doctor "I can't live without this pill, this is my life!!!!!" I cried infront of him, my husband and an intern. I was begging him to start it up for me! Even though I was in no pain at all. He looked at me and said "This half a pill is nothing!, it no longer rules your life, throw it away! I thew it in his garbage, and cried like I lost a loved one!" 2 months later, my husband had surgery and his doctor gave him Oxy, I actually tried to find it!!!!!! But my husband hid it. About a year ago, I found one - still in it's packet! You know where it is? In the bottom of my purse!!! I will NEVER open and take it, it's like a talisman for me. It is something that had SUCH power over me, but now I look at it and I feel proud that I have overcome it! I don't know if that makes sense to you. I hope so!

You need to get a doctor or a clinic or something hon! You have similar physical problems too me, so I would hazzard a guess that Tramacet would be beneficial for you. I have been on it 2 years now, and it works really well. You might have to go onto anti anxiety pills - like I did, and the best for me was Cymbalta and Clonazepam! I can function and get back to being me! The Vodka helps too!!!! ;-) XD o.O Just lightening the mood here!!

So the 1st thing is try and get a doctor, get a pill cutter, and have a back up medication for your pain. When you are fully off the Oxy then will be the time to try and start cutting down on your pain meds - just to see if you can. DON'T do it with the OXY OK?!! PROMISE?!!!!!!!! If you follow what I am telling you, I promise you can do it too! I am usually on here several times a day - yes I know I have no life ;-) - so I am here to talk to you and talk you through. There is NOTHING you can say to me that will startle me OK?! You are a woman - thus you are naturally strong! And YOU will overcome this!!!! Good Luck, Good Health, and Recovery

Just poking my head in here.

I'm nowhere near as medicated as the people that have posted here are, yet going off Oxycodone after 3 solid months of use (Cold turkey, I believe you call it) certainly has it's bloody side effects. Anxiety and such.

I've taken ~ 40mg oxycontin and 30 mg Oxynorm each day, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the state of my pain.

Now the pain is gone and it's time to stop taking the pills.

What I want to know is how long the withdrawal effects might last for me?

I'm not the kind that toiletdives after dropped pills. I think I got some in my cabinet but cant be arsed to check. I just want off so I can stop being sleepy.

3 months of use. 40 mg oxycontin, 30 mg oxynorm per day.

I quit oxys one week ago. I snorted between 60-80 mgs a day and went cold turkey. tapering didn't work for me. I felt like I wanted to die but I lived. I'm still struggling but point is, unless you have a bad heart cold turkey wont kill you. Everyones different I guess. Ripping the bandaid off slowly didnt work for me, i had to just stop. The hard part is staying clean. Its a battle every day but Im told time will heal, God I hope so. Without my oxy, I,m left alone with my racing mind and I just want to feel normal again!!