hi, i had a car crash 8 days ago and was taken to hospital, where after several x-rays i was told i had a fractured sternum, i was kept in overnight in the high dependancy unit where i was given pain killers for the pain.
the folloing morning after a very painful night the doctors came around to see me and i was told i could go home as there was nothing they could do for me 8-| ive been home 7 days now and im in more pain now than when i first had the accident, i cant sleep at night, cough, laugh, walk upright, i have to hold my breasts to help suport myself when i walk, and the other night i sneezed and im sure ive done even more damage, what am i to do??? ? :-( .................elaine

Sure, when you have broken sternum you can feel pain for days after the accident has occurred. People usually asking what they can do about it. It is hard to tell, but according to my own experience, I do know that you can't do much about it, except resting, taking painkillers and wait for this pain to go away.

It is funny to tell, but in most cases, this pain will go away by itself (sure, after a couple of weeks, even months). You should not lift anything heavy, that can make even bigger pressure to your chest. You need to know that this is going to hurt you when you sneeze or when you are trying to laugh. 

Community Administrator
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/do-i-have-a-sternum-fracture&highlight=#331000

Elaine - I, too, fractured my sternum 6 weeks ago after a car accident - I hit the steering wheel. On the day it happened (Monday), I was taken to Emergency where they told me I had a fractured sternum and was discharged with painkillers. As the week went on, I experienced more and more pain, especially in my lower back on both sides. I could only sleep sitting up in a chair and like you, laughing coughing and especially sneezing were no-no's. On the following Sunday morning my husband took me back to Emergency where they found I had a collapsed lung and fluid in both lungs and I was admitted for 3 days on a nebuliser every four hours with strong painkillers. Now, 6 weeks later, I can cough, laugh, so long as it's not 'real' laughter, but sneezing is still not an option. To stop yourself sneezing, immediately you feel the sneeze coming on, put your finger under the tip of your noze and look upward. It really works!! I hope you get better soon, but you must try and breath as deeply as you can to stop lung complications. Hope this helps. Lorna

I was in a car reck in Feb. I went to the Emergency room and had x-rays and was sent home. I went back to the Doctor 3 days later I head and cheast hurt very bad and I was sent to have a cat scan and found out my brain was swollen and I was put on med. Nothing was done with my cheast they said it was just brused form the seat belt. Two weeks later I felt like I was having a heart attack I went back and had a EKG and a x-ray that's when they found the fractured sternum. It's been about 7 mo. and I still can't work. I am to only lift about 30-35 lbs. and I'm still sore and still having swelling. And all the Dr. says It would have been better if I broke my ribs. What do I do??? HELP!!!

I broke my sternum 5 weeks ago. I dropped 240 lbs on my chest while using bench press at the gym. I had a broken hand that I was unaware of. When I went for the lift my hand gave out and the whole bar slipped out of my hands and came crashing down on my chest from about two feet away. I was blinded and paralyzed for about twenty minutes. I was taken to the ER. Sight and muscle control slowly came back. I was diagnosed with a bruised heart and broken sternum.
I'm in good health so healing has been expedient. I’m still a little sore but moving around well. My recovery: As for the pain, limited movement and lots of Vicodin for the first 2-3 weeks, reduced and stopped in the fourth week. I wanted to get off the pain meds ASAP so that natural healing would not be impeded.
Keep eating well; take vitamins especially calcium to help the healing process. Watch for signs of depression. Pain and the medication is a recipe for depression which will only slow your healing. Get off the meds as soon as you can. I don’t have to tell you that a broken sternum is very painful. Don’t let it get you down! Remain positive and trust the healing process.

I also have a fractured sternum; got it New Year's Eve in an auto accident when another driver ran a red light and turned left in front of us; leaving us nowhere to go and no time to get there in anyway... we T-Boned him. I fractured my sternum and several ribs. I still can't lay down, walk much, lift anything heavier than my pillow, etc. If standing when it occurs, coughing can literally put me on my knees; it hurts so bad. Having COPD and osteoporosis only makes matters worse. I also had a cold at the time of the accident; and sneezing is even harder on me than a cough. But what's the worst of all, is hiccups. Those make my chest feel like it's going to implode! :O o.O

I'm not sure if I've fractured my sternum but.... last week I was at hte gym for my usual chest session.  I layed on the bench to do a quick set of 10 reps at 60kg (132lb) and somehow when I lifted the bar off the stand I dropped it from arms length straight onto my chest !!  In shock I lifted it straight back onto the stand but knew immediately I'd better call it a day.  I turned white and was in a cold sweat.  I went home and sat down and after 2 hours decided to get a drink, what a mistake... when I stood up I was in excrutiating pain even walking.  When my wife came in she said... off to hospital for you to get checked over.  The doctor did some tapping around and said I'd not broken anything but suspected "just bad bruising, don't go to the gyn for 4 or 5 days" !!  Over a week later I'm still having to sleep propped up as I can't lay flat, I have a constant sharp pain on my sternum and can't walk too far without becoming breathless with chest pain.  I'm going to let nature take its course and assume that healing will take a litte time.  In the mean time it's so frustrating not being able to the practical jobs around the house like gardening and.... after 22 years of regular gym I feel like I'm getting cold turkey !!  I feel so dammed stupid.

Hi, i fractured my sternum nearly 3months ago and i still have what feels like heavy pressure on my chest and still hurts when i sneeze. I have been told that it could take up to 12 months to fully recover

Did your stomach swell from cracked sternum