I had open heart surgery for an aortic valve replacement 7 months ago. It seems like my sternum is growing and is protruding. My lower chest is very sensitive to the touch. My chest get irritated when I exercise and bothers me quite a bit for a few days then subsides some. It hurts sometimes when I cross my arms over my chest. It hurts sometimes when I bend forward. What's the sternum made of, and can it grow? Can what seeing be scar tissue from the large incision made in my chest for the heart surgery?
Robert

I had valve surgery 15 years ago and have the same problem. Did you ever get any answers?

The sternum is the hardest bone in our body. Does it grow I dont believe so. But once damage I find its hard to recover from. My pains r the same try researching info on the healing process of the sternum

I thought I must be the only one to have a "deflected sternum" after having bypass surgery.
I mentioned it somewhere on this forum about a year ago and heard nothing. In case more people see this now I'll go over it again.

I had bypass surgery in 1996 and the lower part of my sternum was very sensitive for years, and still is.
On returning home from the hospital I had terrible bouts of nausea once in a while. Finally I was able to connect it to touching that lower sternum. If I inadvertently bumped it, of course it hurt like hell at the time, but I discovered the severe nausea followed 4 hours later. [No I didn't hit it so I could time it, o.O I timed it after it got hit inadvertently. 8-| ]

When I went back to the heart surgeon several weeks after the operation to have the staples removed from my arm (where they harvested an artery) I asked him about the "thing" sticking out at the bottom of my sternum. He was not concerned about it.

About a year later I was in a Pfizer drug study and driving to the same hospital for that on a regular basis. The old sternum thing was still bothering me and I managed to get an appointment with the heart surgeon on one of those visits. He felt it and said it was a hernia which occurs quite often after the type of surgery I had. He offered to schedule me for surgery to fix the hernia for another $20,000 or so. I declined because I didn't believe it was a hernia. It was hard like a bone, not soft. Plus I couldn't afford the $5000 deductible/$10,000 out of pocket expense on the only health insurance I could get after the heart surgery.

A few years later the Pfizer Lipitor study ended and I had to find some other way to get my cholesterol drugs. I discovered I was elegible for VA assistance. When I mentioned the sternum problem to my nurse practitioner at the VA she scheduled me for x-rays. After taking the pictures, the technician invited me in to see them and described what was there. I could see a piece of bone that looked like a finger sticking straight out forward which he called a "deflected sternum".

So the heart surgeon was lieing through his teeth about it being a hernia and apparently wanted me to pay for a "hernia" operation to repair his mistake.

I had open heart (3 by-pass) surgery July 19, 2009.  (I am a 68 yr old female)  I have never recuperated completely.  I can't breathe deeply, cough, sneeze, laugh, etc. without much pain deep in my chest.  It is like all my ribs are broken or not healed back.  I sat up with pillows behind me for 16 months.  I could not sleep in the bed this long.  About six months after surgery, I noticed a hugh "bump" or protrusion between my breasts.  I finally asked my cardiologist re it, he said it was a sternum hernia.  I saw a second heart surgeon, a second cardiologist at St.Vincent Heart Hospital in Indianapolis, In.  They both confirmed it to be a sternum hernia.  The only way to fix it is to operate putting a mesh screen over it to keep major problem of intestines, etc. lodging through the hole.  I was told by one doctor that it could happen spontaneously or I could live rest of my life and nothing happening to it.  BUT if intestines did go through, I would be very very ill and surgery would be critical then.  I have not a grain of energy, I am very short of breath.......there is nothing they did for me with the surgery.......I did have a heart attack....reason for the surgery.  But......it helped me in no way!  I still have no energy, I do have so much pain, and so short of breath....as far as I am concerned, they did nothing for me, I told my husband if I have another heart attack, just call the coroner, do not take me to the hospital.

Hello I am only 44 years old female and i just had open heart surgey April 29 -2012 and i did'nt need it at all the Dr made a BIG BIG missake and he cant even look me in my face and say whats right . now as I read everyones stories this is what i have to got through wow my chest is popping like crazy and if iyou move a certain way oh the pain . I am very health just wondering will i be able to go back to work.I will pray for all .

hi my mother is facing with same issue, she had done bypass in Nov 2015 and from that day till today she is in lot of pain, i also guess there is some infected bone as there is continuous pus coming from the wound till today and she is in lot of pain, she is not able to sleep nor seat and she is in continuous pain.

I am thinking of second opinion , does anyone would recommended any good heart specialist in Mumbai.

My mother is suffering from similar symptoms did you manage to get any solution for the problem please.

I have a 3 bones that protrude through my chest. I think it's the top one that's the worst. I had endocarditis, leading to Aortic valve replaced and bypasses and removal of the abscess from my heart. This happened 3 years ago after I collapsed at the Leeds festival when I was 38. I've been told there's nothing that can be done, even though it's painful if I make sudden movements and while I'm in bed, if I lay a certain way. Some days are fine and some are pretty painful. I'm going back to work next month as a chef. The first time I've worked since I fell ill in August 2014. I'm terrified of going back to work to be honest with you. Especially as a chef (which I said I'd never do again!) But I suppose I can't just not do anything forever! I'm 41 now and life is getting better all the time. I've got a Beautiful, understanding girlfriend and great family and mates around me. We've just got to keep on keeping on!!! And the NHS!!! They are absolutely brilliant!! We are honoured to have them in the UK and won't have a bad word said about the hard working Doctors, consultants, Nurses, Surgeons, porters, cleaners etc ..... Peace ✌

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use