I had a trauma to my chest about 6 years ago. Since then I've notice a slight horizontal fracture on my sternum angle. It feels like it gets slightly bigger when I take a deep breath. I've been ok so far, but recently I've been getting really bad anxiety attacks over it. Is it possible that over time, it could eventually break all the way through? I don't have a clue what that could mean to me if it did. I'm not sure how something like this could heal unless i had clamps put on. Any advice on what to do, for someone without health insurrance? I'm really lost in the dark here. What do you think.

Hi there! Haven’t you been to a doctor at all ? Do you have pain or difficulties breathing? I know that you can have Celebrex prescribed for pain and breathing problems. You didn’t say much if anything has been done yet about the fracture. You should be monitored for the rare complications of cardiac arrhythmia's and heart failure.

I have not had it looked at because I have no insurrance. I have no pain involved with it, I'm just worried if it will get better or worse over time. Yeah my breathing is not as easy as it used to be, but it's not that bad. I'm just worried if the fracture could get worse or not. Any idea? What type of place should I get something like this looked at anyway. Thanks

Orthopedy is the place you should go for fractured sternum. You also need to have x-rays done in order to see what kind of injury it is, because it may lead to some inside organs injuries as well. Then will you be sent to a surgeon maybe. All of this is just a guess, but I do think you need evaluation of the problem!!!!

It definitely can. The pain can be worse time after time. Painkillers should help in this issue but you need to ask them from your doctor. I agree that orthopedic is the place you should visit when you are dealing with sternum fracture. I have done my x - ray there as well and it was not that difficult injury. But I remember that I felt pain after three weeks then after one month and when the second month came I saw that this pain won't go away that easily so I visited the orthopedist. For now, they told me that there is no need for any type of surgery, but they will observe it and see if there is a need for this. 

I broke mine 6 years ago and the pain is worse. The doctor said that it will be something that I will have to deal with for life.

I am new to this site, and I have the same health problem as the first guest. However, I see no reply to the issue. Please let me know how to get answers or advise from these health issues.

i recently have recovered from a 3 months of pnuemonia, in which i broke a sternum bone from coughing...just this past week i was in a headon car crash. and the airbags broke another bone in my sternum.Like many of you will i have to live with it? my doctor didn't sasy that at the emergency dept.I know taking a deep breath or laying on my side hurts. I did try a cream which is water soluble called ARNICA and can be found at the health food stores. it helps a little but not the releif we wish for. i wish you luckLet me know if it works for you :-D blessings

I fractured my sternum by falling abour 4 weeks ago. Went toEr. Have brolen bone in fod also. The lungs had some fluid buildup and followed up with my doctor a week later. Lungs were clear but very painful. Especially when moving my left arm or moving in general. ow long can I expect this to last?

i was in a head on crash almost 8 years ago & STILL have pain in my sternum...the doctors didn't listen to me for a year and a half about the numbness in my legs until my chiropractor took x-rays & saw 2 vertabrae out of line, that led to MRI & surgery (2 herniated discs, 1 of which put a dent in my spinal cord)...but noone ever looked at my sternum, no matter how much i asked, begged, or pleaded...they wrote "chest pain" and claimed that it was due to PTSD (all caused by the same accident)...if i don't crack my chest the pain gets beyond unbearable & they still won't listen to me...btw, i was being treated by several doctors of varying specialties...i even told them that i couldn't lay on my side because it felt like my chest was caving in! i explained to them that i woke up one morning with my left shoulder UNDER me & was able to pop it back in, but they still don't listen...i have to live with this pain the rest of my life because the medical community refused to listen to a young woman in extreme pain on every level >:(

I had coronary by pass surgery 2 1/2 years ago. Shortly after surgery I fell out of the hospital bed and caught my arm in the railing. Hitting the floor and my arm being pulled broke all of the wires in my chest. I went to the surgeon who said he would try to fix it but I would need to get my blood sugars in control ( diabetic) and lose 100 lbs. I have been denied by the insurance company 2 times now for Gastric by-pass surgery. In the mean time I went to the pain clinic and they told me there was nothing they could do for me and they suggested to my primary care doc that liberal use of opiates was the only thing that could be done. Yet the doctors on the approval board for my insurance company don't think that is reason enough to approve an immediate weight loss surgery. Mean while I take vikes 4 times a day and morophine at night. Needless to say I cannot work and live on SS disability. I hate my life because I don't have one. I know after 2 years I am addicted to the drugs but is there any other kind of therapy I can get to give me some relief?

Unfortunately there is not much to be done for bones in the chest area., something that can be done on top of what the doctors prescribe, is black strap molasses, it has some anti-inflammatory properties and contains calcium and is about the largest source of iron on the planet. a tablespoon twice a day combined with another source of calcium may help you, especially in combination with doctors recommendations.

i broke my sternum while giving birth to my son who is now 18 months old. i started with my family doctor, who treated my for bronchitis, because like the other women said, i'm a younger female and he didn't listen at all! i could barely nurse my infant, i could barely move my neck or right arm, let alone take a deep breath. i went to all three hospitals in our town and got treated like garbage. Not one doctor would listen to me, they would hook up an EKG machine and say it's not a heart attack go home. 8 and 1/2 months later i went to a bone specialist after finding a new doctor and found i broke my sternum. he said there are two options; one try a bone marrow from my hip and inject it into my chest to promote healing or if the fractures too big to do a bone graph from my hip. neither are guaranteed and i lost my job so like many others i have no insurance right now! i find that when it's especially cold out it really flares up, everyday is painful but i ust keep praying someone will figure a way to fix this. I MEAN THEY CAN DO SURGERY ON THE HEART AND BRAIN- WHY NOT FIX A BROKEN BONE?????

Sternum and ribs are attacthed together heat moisted seems to help to recovery faster 2-3 times daily about 10-15mins.

When older women break a bone like the hip bone, they usually live about one year. Is this true if an older woman fractures the strnum or other bones? I was in a vehicle accident that fractured my sternum . It has been painful, but the only treatment has been pain meds and som bone, flesh and cartilage hers along iwth hyaluronic acid pills and alfalfa which has lots of organic calcium in it.