Hi, my name is manuel and i am 16 yrs old i need some help please somebody tell me wats wrong with my sternum ive been having a sternum pain like every time i use too much force with my arms and when i carry heavy things ive tried hitting it softly to massage it but it hurts every time i hit it its been going on for like a week now im scared because my friend has a deformation where his chest caves outwards and i wonder if dats wats happening to me ive been looking at my sternum and i see a strange bump but i think its been there but now dat i notice it i think dat my sternum pain is causing a deformation or something. please if anybody has any kind of anwsers to these symptoms please give me some advice on what i should do........ Thank You For All Your Help

Well, it could be that you broke your sternum if you had a trauma or a blow to the chest.

I think this may be the case, because you have both a lump and pain. A lump could be indicating a break in the bone and the pain could be as a result of that.

There is no need to freak out, you won’t get deformation of the chest cave, these things are usually congenital (born with) but you would have to lessen the amount of activity until the pain passes and the bones heal.

However, you need to make sure what this is and you need to see a doctor for this and be examined. Although your symptoms are indicating sternum fracture, it may be not that. A doc would also need to see how big the fracture is (if it is fracture), so that s/he would know what to tell you and how to treat you.

Avoid lifting and other activities until you have this figured out.

Google "costochondritis"

I had sternum pain for about a year and it would always create a subtle ache even if it wasn't hurting. Every time I leaned forward after not moving for a while, I could feel and hear a crack come from my sternum (not a painful one). I got it checked out, but no doctor could see anything wrong. I then noticed it go away during the summer and was very confused. As it turns out, during the school year, I had done work/studied in bed a lot by lying on my front and resting on my elbows. Ever since I stopped resting on my elbows in bed, the pain and the clicking have both disappeared. Hope that helps.

Hey, No need to worry... I used to feel that pain also... I have a scoliosis and i often associate this pain with that, but i found out that it's nothing really serious. The first time I felt the pain in my sternum, i panicked, and have had heart palpitations.. so i was brought to the hospital, but they didn't see any problem with my sternum. So I tried to observe, and then i found out that there really is nothing to worry. Pain in the sternum is merely caused by fatigue... also positional.. like if you lean forward for a long time, or you carry heavy things, you'll definitely feel such pain. Anyway, it's enough that you know that you don't really have to worry bout the pain in your sternum. So go on with your daily activities.. live a normal life, just don't get too tired. ;-)

Poor posture impacts pressure on the sternum. Everything from tight hips (if older), tight ribs from back to chest by slouching, and causing the sternum to cave inwards. Exercise to stretch the spine (taiji) is important. You may also want to build stomach muscle to help with posture.

I have been feeling pain just recently. It hurts when I stech out and in. I have never felt this before. Could it be the same?

I feel the same thing when i stretch or turn a certain way but it happens randomly....its a scary feeling its like a jolt of lightning to my chest

it could be a hairline fracture of the sternum or it could be some localized edema from trauma, or a bruise. does the pain appear to originate from the bone or the soft tissue?

i have a similar pain, though i've had it for two years now. i went to the doctor last week and he said that the ribs joining to the sternum can sometimes move and that any pain is not serious and i was recommended to take some ibuprofen for it.

i must admit, it has been worst ever this week where it did actually affect my sleep, but i did sleep on the floor when the pain got worse. maybe revise you sleeping position as that may be a cause. also avoiding lifting things helps too. if you work out like i do, you should probably go easy on upper body weights that affect the chest...

I too have Sternum pain.. I attribute it to

people whom slouch shoulders forward.. have smaller sternum needs.. then one whom keeps there shoulders back.. could this be it?

1. working out.. my chest..
2 stretching and improving your posture.. has an effect on the sternum.
3. Lack of calcium and nutrients to help it heal to your new posture..

Put your thumbs together.. out in front of you like they are on a keyboard..
swing your hands from left to right as if you are playing a crescent keyboard.. whilst in a good posture.. you try to twist your ribs shoulders uniformly to keep hands on keys..

oh yeah Fish Oil helps..
:-)

i have a similar pain which is a constant occurance but has a stabbing pain whenever i move suddenly or cough/sneeze. It's mostly in my sternum but also radiates across my ribs on my right side,
my doctors and mum (who has a degree in nursing) believe it to be costochronditis which is quite common, especially if you do alot of excercise or heavy weight lifting. Check it out with your doctor?

I just finished up with a doctors appointment that I have been putting off for nearly 2 months, why $. Now I have peace of mind! It all started with a tender sternum, 2 months ago. I thought it would go away but it didn't, in fact it got worse. These were my symptoms: Tender to painful sternum, I felt intermittent dull chest pain from time to time, some joint and muscle pain from time to time, deep breathing that was also intermittent (sp?). Overall, my body has felt weak, just not myself. My legs and arms would feel week from time to time, comes and goes. I couldn't take it anymore, so I went to Urgent Care. The performed a EKG, checked my lungs and both turned out great, no problems. The doctor told me I have all the symptoms of a viral syndrome due to Costochrondritis. She told me to get lots of rest, take 600mg Advil 3 times a day, ice 20 minutes 3-4 times a day and it should pass. That bill approximatelly $800.00 gotta love our health care system. Best of luck to all of you, the peace of mind is worth it!

I have the same problem, only mine occurs maybe once a month. I will wake up in the middle of the night to move and it feels like my sternum wants to separate from my ribs. It's a breath-taking pain, but it goes away in a matter of a minute after light breathing, but as soon as i move my shoulders inward or outward, or turn my body, I feel the same pain again. It usually only lasts for a day and taking ibuprofen tends to help. It doesn't hurt to touch, but only to take deep breaths and to move my shoulders outward, so therefore, the whole day, it feels most comfortable to be slouching. Also, if I turn weird at anytime it either pops or causes a dull ache. What could this be?

sounds like costochondritis....

"When the sternum is involved costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage connecting to your breastbone. It's a common cause of chest pain. Mild to severe pain, tenderness and soreness near the breastbone (usually the upper left side) are symptoms, and the pain gets worse if you stretch or apply pressure to the area."