I never thought I would be one of those mothers whose children have a drug addiction problem. Actually, that is not yet determined, but I do know that my son is using something, perhaps heroin, because I have heard him mentioning it once over the phone. What do you think, what should I do? How to approach him, how to start that kind of conversation? Help…

Well, that conversation has to be started, rather sooner than later. This is because of that possibility that he really is using drugs, heroin or something else. In that case, every use might drag him further into a dangerous territory. So confront him as soon as possible, but try to be helpful and advisable, don’t be accusable and aggressive, that might only worsen the situation.

This is a very difficult situation but in all honesty you need to be careful don't get too accusatory and make sure you make it clear he is not in trouble and you are not trying to do an intervention or anything you just need to know whats going on. Be honest and hopefully he will to. If he looks intoxicated at the time believe me talking to him then would be useless....Its best to wait and look for signs of withdrawl and approach with an offer to get him on Methadone or some other sort of treatment (methadone has the highest success rate if he is indeed an addict and after seeing MANY many people fail countless time in rehab when it comes to heroin I feel is the best route for "addicts". Now, if he isn't addicted just yet and is still in the "experimenting" stage (this does not last long at all) This would be an oppertune time to educate in the friendliest manner possiable....best to have him talk with an x- addict and or councelor because its always best to hear it from someone who really knows and not someone who has never been there. Good luck with this and I hope for your sake you are just misunderstanding the situation. Above all...Love him and don't give him money or the oppurtunity to steal it....(You can help him purchase the methadone or Suboxone (if he IS addicted but hasn't been using long suboxone or plain or treatment will be the better option for now) Again, good luck

i am in the same situation as the mother that wrote this i dont know how to talk to my son about it he just gets mad mean and defensive i dont know how to approach him without accusing him i mean how do you say it without saying it. i haven't confronted him with the heroin but have told him he is acting strange and asked if he was on something. i live in a very small town and just heard that heroin is the drug of choice for the teens now days. i never thought it would happen here. He has been acting so strange lately and threw up in his room the other day for no reason and then was really weird about it i heard that this is a sign I am really scared and don't know what to do

I feel for the mothers on this forum. I am 20 years old and have been doing heroin everyday for about 2 years. i am now almost 2 months clean. I put my mother through the same thing. I hid it from everyone for so long. I good indicator of someone that does opiates is excessive scratching, moodiness, irritability, big black bags under their eyes, vomiting, and just overall lack of interest in life in general.

If your son or daughter lives with you, you can always threaten to cut them off of everything you offer them. but you have to be very gentle when approaching them. but don't put it off by any means. The longer you do it the harder it is. Is you pay for the cell phone take it away and put them on lockdown. no leaving unless supervised for at least 2 weeks. This is a start. I also live in a small town in the midwest and yes heroin is on a big comeback and is very obtainable. Due to the outrageous price of oxycontin there are many new heroin users. i've actually witnessed 2 of my friends overdose and die just doin 25- 50 dollars worth. There was poison in the powder. Although that happened i was still using all the time everyday. living in flop houses and what not. It only gets worse there is no light at the end of the tunnel but death. so you have to catch it in the earliest stages if possible. I had to cold turkey it on my own and i did it. i'm 2 months clean now and i don't see myself going back i'm focused on helping people and my friends to the best of my abilities. I couldn't go to detox because 10 days was going to cost 2000 dollars without health insurance. I got laid off from work and lost benefits and just overall self esteem. This made me use. The user must want to quit.

If you are not sure if a loved one is using. try to monitor there spending this will give them away. read text messages. do whatever you have to do. as for approaching someone you think is using is very very touchy you don't want to distance yourself from them. just let them know you want to help. be as sympathetic as you can.