Hi, my brother has a kidney failure, and he needs transplantation. I’ll donate him a kidney as soon as possible. I don’t have second thoughts, but I would like to know could something go wrong?

Hi, it’s very generous of you that you’re willing to donate a kidney to your brother. However, you have to do some tests first because even if you’re a relative, it doesn’t mean that you can be a donator. You will have to do an electrocardiogram, chest x-ray, blood tests, urine test and ultrasound of your kidneys. There are some complications that occur with any major surgery. For example, you could have nausea and vomiting, bloating, bleeding, infection, pneumonia, allergic reactions to medications or blood clots. Major complications don’t appear often, and donated kidney begins to function immediately in 95% of cases. After the surgery avoid heavy lifting for couple of weeks, and you will probably have difficulties climbing the stairs. However, walking is good and safe for your recovery.

I only have one kidney, mine died or something when I was a baby so they just took it out. I have to make sure i stay hydrated, and remember for your bro, that his body might not except your kidney.