Hi, my mom is in bad health. Her skin is all yellow skin and she has fluid in her legs. Her doctor told that she has a liver disease, that the risk of death is very high, and that she needs a liver transplant. I don`t know anything about it. Is that dangerous or a standard procedure? Is she going to survive?

Hi. A liver transplant is the replacement of the liver with the one donated by someone else (the donated liver comes from the one who died and you receive a part of his liver). This procedure is very stressful for your body and there is a chance of dying. After getting the liver transplant your Mom must eat healthy, and if she `s a drinker/smoker, she should quit. After the treatment many patients live for many years, but they have to take meds every day so that the body wouldn`t reject the new liver.

Most of the above reply is true, but there is one other option for transplantation. SOmeone living can donate part of their liver to your mom. Livers regenerate. It is a complicated surgery and things can happen to both people, so it's a hard choice for someone to make who is healthy. Of couse not anyone can donate. There are tests to be done to see if your a good candidate to donate part of your liver. If this sounds like an option talk to her doctors about it. I was born with a liver disease, and needed a transplant when I was 18, and my mom decided to donate part of her liver. We both came out of it fine. Neither of us has had rejection, and it's almost 3 years later. Read up on transplantation. You can ask her doctors for material on it, or online there should be tons!

Okay the chance of dying is not likely. There is a very high success rate. Yes transplant is a very big deal but you survive it