Hi, I had kidney transplantation, and now I have only one kidney. A doctor told me that I have to change my nutrition. What is it that I should eat now?

After kidney transplantation, you have to be on a special diet. Some medicines that you use may affect your diet. You can’t avoid those medicines, because they help your body to accept your new organ. Some of those meds are cyclosporine, steroids, tacrolimus, azathioprine and mycophenolate. Your nutrition also depends on your appetite. After transplantation, the appetite is often better. You should eat raw vegetables and fruits, nonfat dairy products, lean meat and sugar-free beverages. Ask your doctor first before you start any diet, just in case that you need something different.

Hello there lulie,

Since adrea has already gave you much information about your question I would just like to add that the most important thing is to consult with your doctor. You will probably get a recommendation to see nutritionist but all this depends on your current weight. Of course you will have to watch out for your nutrition as you did before.

You are aware of the fact that right amount of protein, calories and nutrients are essential for your health but also keep in mind that some of the medications will affect your appetite.

And don’t forget that you still need to restrict salt! This is very important because some of your medications can retain fluids in your body and salt can even make this problem worse by increasing your blood pressure.