I`m 52 and I have a kidney cyst. It`s confirmed, unfortunately. I did some tests, ultrasound, CT scans and MRI exams and end up with a cyst on my left kidney. It`s benign however. My doc told me that the surgery is not needed and told me to go to urologist if my kidney cyst keeps getting bigger. Not so sure about that? Also, my Mom had a kidney cyst and I`ve been wondering does it run in the family? But, the stuff that`s really bothering me is will I have some other complications because of the cyst?

Hi. My relative has a kidney cyst and the operation is really not necessary. Most kidney cysts are harmless and there is no need to remove them. It`s normal for kidneys to have about 5 cysts each. There are few causes that can give you a kidney cyst. I know my relative had Infantile polycystic kidney disease when he was a child. It`s an inhereted disease. Not sure about you. Some conditions run in the family, others don`t. Cysts will probably won`t give you any complications. Cysts can swell up and give you some bad pain. Infection, fever, it`s all possible but not likely.