Ok so one of my friends and I smoke marijuana once every month or two. I have this other friend who had a kidney transplant in 6th grade (We're in 10th now), and he said he wanted to try it with us. The question is, if he tried it with us, would he fall on the floor and die? I don't want him to do it if it will hurt him. Right now he's taking HGH (human growth hormone, because he's kinda short) and some anti-rejection medications.

Thanks,
Andy

It won"t kill him but it has a really bad effect on the anti-rejection meds he takes. Most transplant patients a very much aware of this. DO NOT encourge him to party with you when you and friends do

i had a kidney transplant in may and got stoned with my friends on new years and im ok. im not a doctor, things may be different for different people. tell your friend with the transplant to do some research first.

Aspergillus is deadly to transplant patients who are on anti-rejection medication. look it up.

Aspergillus is deadly in the form of a lung infection. When you inhale bits of a plant, tobacco or marijuana, by smoking not all of this fungus will always be killed by the heat of the flame and a serious and sometimes deadly infection can occur. A better method of taking marijuana to get around this draw-back would be to eat it. However, there is some debate about the effects of marijuana on the immune system. I would recommend your friend look into those and any potential contraindications with his medicines. I hope this helps.

I would also add that living with an organ transplant you train yourself to become very sensitive to your body's reaction to things. For this reason altered states can be very stressful and could likely cause him not to have a good time.

his biggest problem would be with fungal infection
and his body might reject his kidney due to the stress his body will be under ssince its a new thing

After having a stem cell transplant, i was informed that if i continued to use mariuana (smoke) that it would possibly kill me, i would like to know if this is true or false ? and would allso like to know what effects it would have ? if it is not harmful... thank you

hi im 24 and im going in to my 8th year of having my kidney transplant iv been smoking weed on and off for a long time now but iv smoked weed nilly every day for the last 5year and i feel that it is doing me more good then harm. the only thing is being on it iv got no enargy to do other things that i would like to do and it costs alot of money i think if some1 with a transplant wants to try it they should go get there functions checked out first then do it 1 or 2 times then go back for more tests just to make sure it hasnt done any damage and do it in a controled inviroment with people that are not going to ditch you if anything goes wrong.

Hello I have just recently hasd a kidney transplant and I was a marijuana smoker prior to my surgery. I would love to smoke now but I weigh my option and I feel like why would I risk my life for a temporary high. If I could find out some hardcore evidence that would say I could then maybe so but for the time being, be grateful that you were belssed with an organ and guard it with your life. It's not worth it.....

hey every one i had a kidney transplant a year and four months ago. i smoked before the transplant and i was even stoned when i got the call for the op. luckely it had worked its way out of my system before i got to the hospital(its a long ass drive). for thew first four months i didn't smoke but due to some complecations with anti bodys i had to go back to the hospital every week for the best part of 7months. and over this time i started smoking slowly again, watching my bloods every week to see if it was causing any problems. luckely there has been no side effects or promblems with my smoking interfearing with the kidney. :D i have try'ed and smoked some of the legal smoke,weed and hash and there is no difference in bloods which ever one i smoked. I have stoped buying just any smoke though i feel cheapy hash (the c**p with plastic in it) or any one i dont trust i dont buy from. i try to stick to good quality smoke. plastic isn't good for any one.

regards the lung infection killing people with transplants isn't that the same risk that every one takes.realy its a lung infection which means any one with a lowered immune system can catch it ie if some one had a viral or bacterial infection or if they were under alot of stress,these things all lower the immune system. besides if the weed is dryed out properly then all the moisture would be out of it? and you wouldn't have that problem if you smoke hash.

i have only given my experiance and opinion here. i think it is some thing that should be researched fetter but from what i have found experimenting on my self that there are no disernable side effects that it have found yet. you must remember its the same with anything start slowly and build up the amount that you smoke, if your two days post op and you blaze up five j's that afternoon then you probly will effect the kidney as your body will be trying to ajust to the new tablets and so on, your body realy wouldn't need a fist full of THC on top of all that. if you feel any thing, any thing all wrong get checked its better to be safe then sorry it is a gift of life but whats the point if you cant enjoy life.

p.s. being lazy and not wanting to do stuff is being stone LOL :D :D :D :D :D :D enjoy it, try only smoking in the evening after you've got your stuff done for the day. please please cary a doner card if you havent had a transplant, it realy dose save lifes.

:D peace out every body :D

I've had 3 kidney transplants over my life and have smoked marijuana on a regular basis for about 15 years, often to help me sleep. I have never had any issues with it and have brought the topic up with 3 different nephrologists as well as many other specialists and medical staff during standard questionnaires, hospital admissions, etc. Not one medical person has advised me that it is unwise to use it and I have specifically asked several times whether I needed to worry about drug interactions or whether my condition would contraindicate its use. In fact I was told on several occasions that I was fine to use it, particularly if I was receiving some benefit (helping me sleep). All medications have risks and benefits. Given its illegal status it is hard to get unbiased, objective information which is unfortunate. However, it is well established that moderate marijuana use is a very safe drug, particularly when compared to things like alcohol or any of the immunosuppressives, blood pressure meds, or any of the other pharmaceuticals that transplant patients must take.

Find a doctor that is objective and has no agenda (pro or con) that may colour his/her opinion and have an honest discussion about your situation, your health issues and the reasons you use marijuana, including any potential benefits and/or issues you may have had with it. Marijuana does increase your rate and if you are prone to getting fibrillations or tachycardia, you may want to think twice or at least use i cautiously until you are sure how you will react.

Ok. So i've just been excepted onto the waiting list for a liver transplant. I'm 25yrs old and have had liver disease since i was 2 from a hereditary condition. Occasional Marijuana user for the last 5 years, pretty regular over the last year now. I find it helps. It gives me back my appetite when the last thing i'd be thinking of is food, and yes, a good night sleep definately helps. But now i'm on the list i'm considering if i should stop, if it will interact at all with the transplant. I don't drink alcohol, and no other unprescribed drugs, marijuana is my vice. I've heard that initially it can effect your tolerance to pain meds post surgery. That they don't work as well, or you need higher levels, so the pain post-surgery is harder to manage? i see there is some experienced smokers/transplant patients talking, what was your experience?? Also, on the plus side, in my research i have found this "cannabinoids have been shown to possess immunomodulatory and antiinflammatory properties in peripheral tissues via CB2 receptor activation, potentially reducing the risk of rejection" people on this page have said that smoking can go bad with the anti-rejection drugs, has anyone been told it can help?? Also after more info on the Aspergillosis infection. Does that risk get eliminated by using a vapouriser? Whats the best way to smoke to avoid that!!!
I'm on a mad search gathering information. any advice would help...

I just wanted to add, not sure if people are reading this forum anymore. I had a kidney transplant in 2004, prior to that I had been a fairly regular marijuana smoker for about 5 years. After my surgery, and once my medications were on maintenance doses, I went back to smoking marijuana, and have done it everyday since. I take my blood pressure religiously and without fail, my blood pressure is ALWAYS lower when I smoke marijuana. I have actually been able to stop my blood pressure medications in the evening as my blood pressure is very stable. Everything in moderation I think, but I agree that since marijuana is deemed "illegal" and "immoral" by a small minority, its extremely hard to get objective opinions on the topic.

I have heard that in Israel, where they have a lot of marijuana research going on, they use THC oil to treat certain types of transplant patients. There is so much more to this plant and the ridiculous stereotypes and fear mongering that surround it are holding its potential back. Its a shame.

My kidney transplant was done 5 yrs ago, prior to that I smoked on a daily (very frequent 4-5 times a day) basis. I smoked on the way, a few days later, and ever since. At 1st levels were checked daily, then weekly, then monthly, now every 3 months and the only time my prograf levels have changed were usually due to a virus. My blood pressure stays an average of 115/65 all the time. My doctor wishes all his patients were as easy as me.

I have issues with sleeping, smoking at least gives me 5 1/2 - 6 hours, without I am lucky to sleep 3 hours a night.
I have issues with eating, smoking seems to calm my stomach allowing me to eat without the vomiting afterward.
Stress being very dangerous to transplant patients and their heart and kidney, unless you are one to get paranoid, very relaxing and calming.

I am cautious as to where and whom it comes from and I do keep a close eye on it for obvious bugs and mold. 15 yrs. later so far no problems have occured. Any of these would hurt a normal person. Any of these problems can come from anything we eat or do.

My doctors don't necessarily love the idea but haven't told me not to do it, not because of all the hoop-laa but because they don't know where its coming from. They do like the fact that they just lowered my blood pressure pills and prograf pills. They like the fact that I eat and don't throw up and that I keep a consistent good weight. They like the fact that I am very calm (especially since bi-polar disease runs in my immediate family).

It may not be for everyone, you have to decide but medically I don't know that things would have gone so well for me if I didn't have it.

Theres a book, its gonna sound weird but the name is "The Emperior Wears Clothes". If this subject is worth further research to you check it out. It gives you referenced research as to history, uses, benefits, precautions, health and stories. It's very insightful!

Most people have had kidney transplants, but I had a heart transplant about 3 years ago and i have been wanting to try marijuana. idk if i should or not so until i am 100% sure it wont harm me i wont do it.