Hi, I have a damaged disk in my spine. My doctor told me that I must have a procedure called ACDF. I don’t know anything about this. What are the chances that I’ll have a successful ACDF?

Hi, my mother had ASDF a year ago. Her spine was damaged in the neck area, and part of her disc had to be removed. Anterior cervical discectomy is much more convenient than posterior, because it is done from the front of the neck. Don’t worry, most people have a successful ACDF. However, every surgery is risky, and there are possible complications like vertebrae failing to fuse, hoarseness and swallowing difficulties, throbophlebitis, lung problems and nerve damage. Before surgery, you will have to do some tests like blood test, electrocardiogram, chest X-ray. My mother didn’t have any complications after ACDF, and her pain was relieved after couple of weeks. However, sometimes it can last much longer, even for several months.