Hi, my daughter has been suffering from polycystic kidney disease all her life. The doctors managed to keep the condition under control for a really long time. But, in the last couple of months the situation has dramatically worsened. My daughter's doctors have said that her kidneys are in a very bad state, and that they can fail any day. I am very worried about my daughter. She is a teenager and there is so much life ahead of her. Can you tell me what are the chances for my teenage daughter to have a normal life when her kidneys are failing?

Hello, and first of all let me say that I can understand that you are very worried about your daughter. It is very frustrating to watch your child fight a condition as serious as kidney failure. It is true that you daughter should be enjoying her teenage days and not spend them in bed. But you should not despair. There are solutions even for the worse case scenarios. I am sure that the first thing the doctors will do is put your daughter on dialysis. This is only a temporary solution for kidney failure patients. The permanent solution is kidney transplantation. I know that this might sound terrifying, but this operation will give your daughter a chance to have a much better life. The kidney transplantation has proven to be the most effective treatment for kidney failure patients. Fifty four percent of kidney transplantation patients live longer than ten years with their new kidney. I know that the situation is serious, but it is not hopeless. You should try being strong and supportive for your daughter because that is the only way that you can really help her with her illness.

I had kidney failiure from when I was in the 8th grade all the way to the very end of my senior year of high school. It would be a lie to say that I didn't miss out on many things. I did have friends and I enjoyed spending time with them, but most of the time I didn't have the energy to. After my kidney transplant life has been very "normal", most people have no idea about my history. It will definately be hard, especially if she has to go on dialysis, but if a transplant is an option things will get better.