If you actually take the time to read through all of this and try to calm my fears, THANK YOU.

I'm 22 and about 4 weeks ago, I went out to a bar with a friend. We both were irresponsible and much too drunk, and I wound up going home with a guy I met at the bar. This is the truly shameful part: I don't remember a few parts of the night, and I feel absolutely terrible for being so stupid, I know better. I don't remember having sex, though I do remember giving him oral and simulating sex, for lack of a better term, with and without clothes. I mentioned it in the morning and he said we didn't have sex, and we've spoken since then and he reassured me that we didn't. I was (and still am?) a virgin, so logically, I feel I would have known if we had had sex--friends have told me that at the very least I'd be sore and/or bleeding. I made my 2nd idiotic mistake in Googling, where I discovered that the incident occurred right before I most likely would have ovulated, and now everything I notice about my body is suddenly "a sign". I anxiously awaited my period and it came right around the time that I should have (on the 23rd, just about 5 weeks after my last and my cycles are usually between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 weeks)--though it was an unusual period: no cramps whatsoever (usually the 1st and/or 2nd day I get moderate cramping, sometimes chills) and an overall lighter flow than usual, though there were a lot of large clots the first 2 days, which doesn't happen. It lasted 5 1/2-ish days, I average 5-7. My breasts were sore a few days before my period, which is normal, though it seemed they stayed sore longer than usual. I also noticed that I didn't get my usual "period pimple", since a few days before my period I usually get a large, painful pimple somewhere on my face. A few days in, I developed a lower backache, which never happens during my period, and it is still coming and going about a week later, though much less frequently. I know that stressing about the situation in the weeks leading up to my period most likely threw my hormones out of whack and gave me these weird symptoms, but after stupidly reading about how bleeding similar to menstrual bleeding can sometimes occur in the first few months of pregnancy, I can't stop stressing.

All logical signs point to everything being fine, but I really think I'm going crazy. I think it stems from not remembering parts of the night, even though all signs point to not having had sex. I know that stress is an incredibly disruptive force when it comes to the human body, and I know that the mind and the power of suggestion are incredibly powerful and can make the body feel as if something is wrong when everything is perfectly normal, but I can't help it. My backache persists from time to time and I've been a bit constipated, which I believe in turn is giving me stomachaches/cramps/maybe some minor bloating, as well as occasional pains in my pelvic area. I also haven't been eating as much/as well as a result of the stress, and I think that's factoring into my "symptoms" as well. I was convinced that my breasts were larger, even though my bras are fitting the same, or perhaps even a bit looser than normal. On some level I know that everything is fine and the stress I'm experiencing is just wreaking havoc on my body, but I don't know how to stop it.

I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative. I *know* I'm not pregnant on some level, but this irrational fear is keeping me from getting over it-especially coupled with the fact that as a result of online searches on "pregnancy symptoms", I stumbled across anecdotes of women who claim they had negative tests 3 months in. I've been thinking about trying to find a local clinic to see if they could give me a blood test just to ease my worries, but I don't know if they would do that without an exam/other tests as well. I don't want all of that because I'd be paying cash as I'm still insured under my mom's plan and I can't explain the situation to her, since she's very, very conservative and I don't want a stupid mistake to cause a rift between us. I moved here a few months ago for a job after graduation and I don't have a pcp or anything here yet. Really, this is probably more of a mental health/stress issue, but I don't know what to do about it.

Hi guest,

First, you had a period when it was expected.  That's a good sign that you are not pregnant.

It may have been a bit different, but still, you saw clots and it lasted a normal length of time.  That is NOT implantation bleeding.

You've also tested negative, again, a good sign.  Repeat the test, following the directions EXACTLY.

Stress, and worry about pregnancy, can cause some of your symptoms.  Your symptoms are NOT specific to pregnancy.

Stop Googling.

When is your next period due?

I had the same issue and addressed my obgyn. I was told to take a pregnancy test and had the same results.

one thing my obgyn did tell me however is that the more i stress about the issue the more likely i am to have the symptoms of a pregnancy. SHe also told me the more that i research a topic the more worried i will become for it, causing the same symptoms.

stop worrying about it. the test was negative, you had your period, if you get your next one you are in the clear. stop worrying or you will mess with your body's natural cycle

Thanks for responding.

You're both right, I know I'm stressing about it unnecessarily. Like I said, I know I sound totally crazy, and if it were anyone else telling me they felt the way I do, I'd think they were nuts. I *know* that the chances are extremely slim to none, I'm not a naive 13 year girl, I know how it all goes down. But that stupid what if keeps nagging me. As I write this, I'm trying not to stress about it, but at the same time, I have this weird pressure in my abdomen (which I know is stress related) and I start worrying all over again. I know the "symptoms" won't stop until I stop stressing, but I can't stop stressing until the symptoms stop...catch-22. My next period is due around Thanksgiving, so a few more weeks. I think I might try to find an ob/gyn to see/talk to, since I'm overdue for a visit anyway. Any suggestions on how to get my mind off it, since that seems to be my biggest issue...?

And this is going to make me sound even crazier, but when I was in the bathroom a little while ago, I noticed a faint tan line running from a little below my belly button to my pubic area, which I believe is called linea nigra and is usually associated with pregnancy. I've never noticed it before, so I don't know if it's always been there or if it's just shown up...

shelbz wrote:

medic-dan wrote:

Hi guest,

Stop Googling.

When is your next period due?

Hi I'm 21 years old and am trying to conceive I had two terminations in the past and one miscarriage and is now starting to think something is wrong with me my husband and I have been having intercourse with no protection for a year now, my period is normal and I ovulate because I got the kit but I'm still not pregnant. I went to my doctor she took a blood test and said everything is fine but I'm getting really worried. Someone plz help

sofia @ t19 wrote:

shelbz wrote:

medic-dan wrote:

Hi guest,

Stop Googling.

When is your next period due?

Hi Sofia,

If you've been trying for a year or more then we begin to suspect fertility issues. You need more than a blood test, a full ob/gyn exam is required. Your husband may be asked to provide a sperm sample as well.

Good luck.