I have been getting diagnosed with UTIs regularly--at least one a month--since I was 15 years old, and it seems like they've gotten worse with years.  I'm 25 now and they have been worst over the past year.  I'm very clean, drink lots of water, I know how to wipe myself (front to back), I always pee after sex, and I have even recently started taking cranberry pills daily.

My symptoms are:  urgent and frequent urination, pain in the lower abdomen/upper pelvic area, and sometimes lower back pain.

Whenever I go to the doctor, they have me pee in a cup, take it away for a five minute test, then come back to tell me that I do have a UTI.  Then I'm prescribed antibiotics that relieve the symptoms very quickly.  Once I've finished the prescription, I'll get all of the symptoms again a few weeks to a month later.  I think that I have more issues around my period.

Does this sound like it could be interstitial cystitis (IC), or could it be that the doctor just isn't prescribing me the right antibiotics or the right amount?  If I did have IC, would it make sense for the antibiotics to relieve the symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I do hope you've been referred to & evaluated by a urologist. o.O   A urologist can do a bladder exam, pressure & urine flow tests in her office that would determine if you have IC or another problem that's causing your distressing symptoms. And if your doc hasn't done a culture & sensitivity of your urine when you have a UTI, you may well be taking the "wrong" antibiotic for your bug...and the infection would come back. Please see a urologist. <3   

Thanks for the reply.  I want to see a urologist, but I don't have insurance and worry about the out of pocket costs.  Does anyone have experience with a urologist out of pocket?  What's a ballpark range I can expect to pay to get evaluated?

Go to your state health department or department of social services. every state has clinics that offer sliding scale fees for services including treatment with urologists. a ballpark urology visit is 150.00.

Have you been cultured for group b strep? Make sure that you get tested for this. Please! It's a swab of the anal and vaginal cavities that only gets done during pregnancy. Non Pregnant Folk Need To Get This Test Done... Especially if you are having so many uti's. FYI::: I'm a Naturalist... Check out this herbal wash called Yin Care... and if you decide to buy it... convert to organic tampons for your monthly visits. Our Insides are extremely delicate and need to be treated as such. 

I have the same problems but I have pain in my middle back like kidney area and I've had ctscan, renal sonogram and intervaginal sonogram as well as urodynamics test. Soon I'll have a cystoscopy but after the urodynamics test my back pain came back. I have constant urination and urgency but I afraid this can be now kidney related from so many UTIs

It takes most people 4 years to get a proper diagnosis of IC. See a urogynie, if you're a woman, or a urologist if you're a man, and get them to do a cystoscopy and urodynamics. Then they will be able to tell. People with IC typically also have IBS or something similar.