I constantly have UTIs. They sometimes lead to bladder infections also. When I get them, I always drink lots of fluids and cranberry juice. I also take cranberry pills. I never take bubble baths, and I always urinate after intercourse. But I still get them at least once every three months or so. What can I do that I am not already doing?

Have you been ever prescribed antibiotics or any over-the-counter meds?
Did you take the whole course of treatment even if your symptoms improved?

I am taking antibiotics all over again for cystitis because the first course wasn’t helpful at all. I also started taking cranberry pills but I don’t think you need to take both juice and pills.

Do you douche or wash your genitals too much? This is known to damage the skin around and makes it a better place for bacteria and also disturb vaginal balance and cause excessive presence of certain organisms.

Do you wipe from top to the bottom after peeing to avoid passing bacteria from around anus to the vagina. Everybody keeps telling me about this, so I reckon it happens often.

I also drink a lot of plain water, as I was said that plain water is the best and healthiest.

I am wearing only cotton underwear now and avoid pantyhose although it is still quite cold but I don’t want to make a warm atmosphere for the bacteria.

There, I hope I helped a bit although I suppose you already knew all the stuff since you suffer from chronic UTI. I hope you will get better soon! Good luck!

Oh yes, and I eat fruits to get the vitamin C.

I have been prescribed macrobid in the past. it seems to help. i do take it for the full course, but once it's gone, it may or may not come back within the week. i also wipe top to bottom. and when i wash, i use plain water and i started using that summer's eve wash because it doesn't contain soap. I use it about two or three times a week. I also wear cotton underwear, or at least make sure that it has a cotton crotch. My doctor also brought up the issue that I get them a lot, even though I take all the precautionary measures. I guess I may just have to get a prescription every time. Although, even the generic for macrobid is like 50 bucks!!!
But thanks for the info.

Chronic UTI's could be a hormonal inbalance. (lack of estrogen)
I would recommend getting your hormone balance checked.
I would check into natural hormonal balancing if needed though.
I wouldn't take estrogen.
An over the counter progesterone cream might be useful.

I also have Chronic UTI's at least once every three months. It seems that there is nothing that I can do to prevent one from coming. Nine times out of 10 I get the UTI after my husband and I have intercourse. I found out that you can do several things at home to help aid in the pain and get rid of it fast! The first and most important, everytime you think about it drink at least 16 oz of bottled water. Tap water has added bacteria that we normally dont know about. Second, take super concentrated cranberry tablets 2 three times a day; vitamins with black cohosh 1 three times a day; echinacea 2 three times a day; vitamins with zinc in it 1 three times a day; and vitamins with buchu 3 three times a day; and last but not least, take at least 3000 mg of vitamin C each and every day. I also like to clean my bath tub out with bleach and antibacterial soap and then take a HOT bath with baking soda. I also take 8 oz of water and mix 1/2 tsp baking soda in it and drink it really fast. you can also do some yoga exercises that make you sweat. Remember if you sweat it removes the bacteria from your body through the sweat. NEVER HOLD YOUR PEE!! dont have sugar or caffination in your diet as well. no chocolate. If you have some de-caffinated tea you can drink hot tea and add some cinnamon which helps drive out the infection. I have the UTI's that always seem to bleed so to get rid of it quickly, I do all of the above and it seems to work. I was also told that you can take 3 tbsp of cornmeal in a skillet until browned and then add to some water and drink it and that is supposed to work instantly, but I havent tried that one yet. Good Luck and I hope that this helps. Please email me and let me know.
_[removed]_

I was plagued with chronic UTI's for my entire 20's and half of my 30's. Because I always contracted one after a "vigorous" love-making session with my husband, my doctor prescribed the same antibiotics I would use to treat one and I take one pill each time we have sex. That was 2 years ago and I have yet to suffer from another (those of you who have had them understand my choice of the word "Suffer"). Ask your doctor for a "suppression" prescription. Good luck!

There are the women that get UTIs and then make the simple adjustments that we've mentioned here (cotton underwear, urinating after sex), which finally fixes their issues.

Then there are women like me who have done EVERYTHING (including the 2 methods listed above... daily cranberry tablets, showering before and after sex, drinking plenty of water, wiping from front to back, taking probiotic medicine, not shaving or trimming my pubic hair, making sure to take the complete coarse of medicine given to treat my UTIs). NOTHING worked. Finally I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin which I take everytime I have intercourse. I haven't had one since. GO SEE A UROLOGIST. I'm afraid most regular doctors do not understand that for some women you really have done everything. I was getting a UTI at least once a month until I saw a urologist. I truly truly truly feel the pain of the women who have gone through this.

Thanks so much for the information. I'm one of those ladys that have tried everything not to get another UTI. I've been having UTI's back to back or every three months, it makes me where I don't want to have sex. My boyfriend and I back off from sex and I still get a UTI. I seen a Urologist and there is no cancer, he said everything looked good. I'm going to call my doctor in the morning and see about taking a Nitrofurantoin after having sex. Thanks again,

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, my latest UTI landed me in the ER, and not for the first time. I have tried all of the aforementioned prevention tactics, and finally got a referral to see a urologist. The only thing I am afraid of is if I contstantly take antibiotics, am I going to constantly have yeast infections? I can only eat so much yogurt!

I'm right there with you ladies. I used to get a UTI 2 to 3 times a year. Now it's every month. I see a urologist, I've been probed and scanned. I do my best to stay clean, pee and drink often. I've been on course after course of antibiotics. I used to suffer also from yeast infections but now I take a "Hi-Potencey" probiotic. I've found that is the way to avoid yeast infections when I'm on antibiotics. Health food stores have the best and they are also helpful in finding the kind that would help your situation.

My doctor has put me on an antibiotic that I"m supposed to take after sex, but it didn't work. Now he wants me to try d-mannose. Its a suppliment also found at the health food store. It's hellpful. I have a UTI now and I've been taking 3 pills 5 times a day and it has removed symptoms. I'm supossed to do this for 3 days. I don't know if it will actually knock the infection out, but I'm hoping so because I don't want to be on antibiotics if I can help it. And my doctor is reluctant to put me on any more which is good that he doesn't just throw drugs at me but also frustrating too because I just want the pain to go away if only for a little while.

I just wanted to write and let everyone know that I am in the same position as everyone on here and I actually have an UTI right now...however be careful when taking antibiotics on a regular basis because my urologist prescribed me Cipro. for three months straight which led to me developing a horrible disease! I consequently was overmedicated which caused me to develop CDIFF. I am only 24 and my immune system is totally wiped out. CDIFF is Clostridium Difficile and is even worse than a UTI. I don't know what advice to give because I have tried everything and nothing seems to prevent them from coming back! I just wanted to give a heads up that you can be overmedicated from trying to cure an UTI. I'm so sorry to everyone that has to experience them because they really are horrible. Best of luck to everyone and feel better:)

I can't seem to get rid of my UTI. I have had it over a year, and I have been on several antibodics. What should I do? Could this be cancer?

Just an FYI from an older gal...I am now 51 & 1/2 and have had UTI's ever since I was 5 years old. I noticed as a child that I'd get them whenever I had a growth spurt, which would cause my slacks or shorts to tighten on my abdomen and rear end. I also was given orange juice every morning with breakfast. Little did I know, (or my parents), that these things aided in my chronic cystitis.
My doctor mentioned that it would be best for me not to wear slacks or tight shorts- so I was in nice dresses most of my childhood. (We always wore white cotton briefs). This seemed to take care of the problem until I reached High School and wore jeans almost every day. Again, if I gained a few pounds, the cystitis would show up. (My jeans would be fairly tight through the crotch area). My mother, who was very understanding and a wonderful seamstress, taught me how to sew my own clothes- so I was able to adjust patterns to fit my abdominal/thigh area. Again, I ended up not having problems. Then college came, and marriage. I had UTI so often, (NOT knowing about all the other things to prevent it), I ended up in a urologist's office. I was on "maintainance" anti-boitics. They worked, but I hated being on them, so I went to a health food store and they recommended "uva-ursi" which is an herb. It took them completely away after a few months. Haven't had any again until just recently. I am still having my period on a regular basis, so am not post-menopausal, like most women my age. I'm on Macrobid, for the 3rd dosage. My doctor has mentioned that Macrobid is not getting the results it used to get. So, I'm going to get some Urva-Ursi to see if that will help. I've put on some weight, so looks like I'll be in long skirts, and dresses again! I go back in this next week for another culture to be done. Will keep you all posted.

Apparently Macrobid (aka Nitrofuranton) is an antibiotic that is geared towards killing bacteria JUST in your urethra/ bladder area - NOT a full spectrum antibiotic like Cipro. So - this kind of medication is less likely to cause a yeast infection and other icky side effects that Cipro, etc do cause.

I have also heard good things about Mannose (sp?) - I just got an excellent formula with cranberry, mannose, goldenseal, etc which I am hopeful will help not only prevent further UTI's (I get them ALL the time - mostly after sex and I am a lesbian so we get it too!!!) but ALSO help heal the tissue that surely is inflamed and scarred from sooo many infections.

I am concerned about the chronic nature of these infections and wonder if anyone has any experience with healing the urethra, etc like I'm talking about? It seems like a vicious cycle with the UTI's where now it's almost habitual for my body to get them!! argh. ouch.

I am thinking about going back on the Macrobid (in a new relationship...uh-oh) but don't love the idea of being on prophalactic antibiotics long term.

Hi, I am a chronic UTI sufferer and am currently fighting one off. I seem to get one about every 3 months. I normally end up on antibiotics because doing everything else right never helps much! I drink a lot of water and have good hygiene. I do know that I was diagnosed with kidney stones when suffering from a bad UTI during my first pregnancy.

The thing is I am 4 months pregnant and I dont really know what antibiotics are best to use during pregnancy and I would love to take suppressive antibiotics for my infections after sex. Problem is that my fiancee and I have sex nearly every day so I would be taking it daily. Im not sure thats a good thing, especially during pregnancy. But pregnancy (I've had 3 of them) is when I always get my UTI's the worst and it's also when they are the most risky.

I was just wondering if anyone had done any research on this topic. By the way, I live in the Philippines so doctors are pretty much useless here. They have lots of backwards ideas and don't keep up with modern practices so I need to find my answers online. Anyone know any good online resources?

Thanks a million!

-Klaisa Quinto