I am 18 years old and I have chronic, constant UTI symptoms. I go on antibiotics and they work for about a week, but after symptoms return. I can not hold my pee for more then 15 min with out it burning and if I do this 2 times I get an extremely bad infection. What should I do about this?

I have the same problem and I’ve had many tests done, some doctors say I have uti, others say I don't. every time I go in for a new test I get a urine sample, some times it comes out as a uti others not. The doctors just said it was probably not enough bacteria but then they said they don’t know how it would come out positive then negative. So, I have constant uti symptoms my doctors put me on a bactrim to prevent an uti.

I have been getting constant UTIs as well (probably 12 in the past 6 months) and have been put on every antibiotic possible. I finally started using a natural remedy called "UTI-clear" by Native remedies. I believe it's nativeremedies.com. It's made in south africa and really works and is natural.

I had an rritable bladder for 18 months-I tested negative for everything.
Coincidentally when I was treated for low-thyroid function, my symtoms disappeared. Something to look in to!

A friend of mine is a urologist. He explained, after I was sure I had a UTI and the test came up negative, that a lot of UTI infections don't show in the "common" test done in most offices. He told me to take the medication and trust my body.

Chronic UTI's is VERY serious. They are associated with thong underwear and poor bathroom cleaning. Try the new moist wipes. I'd also get a referal to a urologist and have a long term medication perscribed to kill off all the bacteria. Again, this is a serious condition, don't let any doctors belittle the seriousness.

I know how you feel. I use to suffer from chronic uti's, that is until I had my son. At first I wasn't sure what had changed until I spoke with a friend who had also suffered from chronic utis. She had a doctor who wanted to check out her bladder to make sure everything was ok. In order to do this, he had to put a small scope up there through the place where you pee. Painful, I can imagine. However, he said that even if there was nothing wrong with her bladder, the procedure could possibly cure her. You see, sometimes the tube that carries urine from our bladder to the outside of our body can be too small, thus allowing bacteria to build up easier causing chronic utis. Anyway, putting the scope through the tube helped to stretch it out and make it bigger. After that procedure, she never had another uti. That is when I realized that I had a catheter put in me when I was in labor that must have "stretched out" my tube because I have not had a single uti in almost 4 years. At the time, I had an epidural and was numb so I didn't feel the cathetar. This is a painful fix, but in some cases it does fix the problem. Hope this helps someone.

I also had the scope procedure done, it was not painful, the Dr. numbs the area first. It did not help though. I have wondered about the thong underware. I also got one after using a sterile wipe at the Dr's. I think mine all started from using the new wipes available.

Well, I don't know what to do.

= [

I am 15, I'm not sexually active, I'm very clean, I drink cranberry juice daily, I don't wear thongs...etc.

Though, I get UTI's VERY frequently.

I have no idea what to do..

I am a rather small girl, 4'10, 87lbs, so, it might be that my urethra is too small...I'll have to check into it.

Does anybody else have any ideas that might help me?
I am a very health concious person, and would like to steer clear of antibiotics as best as possible.

Thank you.

I have the exact same symptoms! it has become unbearable to be in college and live in a dorm because I can't sit through an hour long class without having to go to the restroom several times, and i sometimes cant make it down the hall to the bathroom because i have to go so badly! I have seen a specialist and wasn't prescribed anything. I have another appointment with them in a week. Is this hopeless?

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I once saw a show that if you have cronic UTI's you should buy vitaimn C tablets and take them once daily. It's suposed to help prevent the bacteria from growing. But if you are taking birth control you can NOT take vitamin C tablets, they scew up your birth control which can result in a baby. just a warning for some of you... :-D

I have had recurrent uti's for the past 8 years. Got my bladder tacked up. Helped for about 2 months and they came back. I had my last one March 4, 2008. Went to the health food store and got some buffered Vitamin C and some Uri-Active (Lifetime brand) which contains D-Mannose. Have not had uti since. (Regular Vitamin C burns my bladder and could not take it.) You might want to try this - it has worked for me so far.

First I want to comment in response to, "But if you are taking birth control you can NOT take vitamin C tablets, they scew up your birth control which can result in a baby." Vitamin C DOES NOT interfere with birth control. Antibiotics and St. Johns Wort will interfere with the effectiveness of the pill. Any medication changes/ diet/ prescription changes should be discussed with your Doctor.
>
I also suffer from chronic UTIs.

Things that help prevent UTIs is drinking plenty of water, urinating often, urinating before/after intercourse, proper cleansing with fragrance free soaps (no baths), Vitamin C and Cranberry supplements, and most importantly - washing and bleaching panties in warm/hot water to kill any remaining bacteria, and wipe front to back.

Things that contribute to my UTIs are lack of water, caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, a poor diet, tighter fitting pants, non-cotton panties, soaps with fragrance.

If you need to ease the symptoms of an infection - I recommend Uristat, plenty of water, and a visit to your doctor. An untreated infection may lead to serious health risks.

I get UTIs constantly, especially a few days before my period. I take AZO dye pills(over the counter). These pills lower the PH (acidity) of the pee so it doesn't burn so much. It does not take away the problem, but helps you cope. Your pee will; be pumpkin orange.

If you eat a lot of sugar that can lead to chronic uti's. Remember, sugar is found in just about everything you eat. I was told by my new doctor about candida...it's a yeast found in all of us and it feeds on sugar. Candida is what gives us strong cravings for sugar. She wants me to go on a two week to a month long diet free of any sugar, including fruit, vinegar, bread, etc. in order to get rid of the candida.

FranPam
I still have symptoms of a UTI and running to the bathroom at night and every doctor I have gone to since 2003 has tested my urine and it is negative. When I was going to one urologist to another I was told I had a bacterial infection. What I can't figure out is why sometimes a urine culture/test doesn't pick this up? I took the UTI home test kit and the Azo home test kit and both were negative although the Azo test kit showed little purple, which means I might have some protein in my urine. Otherwise it showed nothing out of the ordinary. So maybe it might be that I'm wearning tight stuff and not really allowing my urethra to breathe. But again, like the urologists said I have a tight urethra and a bladder that contracts small amounts of urine at a time. I was told that this is a chronic thing. The thing is if it is a chronic there should be a way to minimize the trips to the bathroom. I went through the cystoscopy and it was right after this I was told by urologist #1 that this was a chronic thing. This coming Thursday I'm going to my general doctor to see if he has any insight into this problem before I start making trips to urologists and going through that might not help in the long run.