My doctor has ordered a cystoscopy for me. He told me it would be painful with or without local anesthesia. Has anyone had one?

No, thank goodness, I have not. The thought of sticking something up my penis gives me the willies!!! However, I did find this information that may calm your nerves a bit.

Most people report that this test is not nearly as uncomfortable as they had expected.

If a general anesthetic is used, you will feel nothing during the test, but after the anesthetic wears off your muscles may feel tired and achy. Some people experience nausea after receiving a general anesthetic.

If a local anesthetic is used, you may feel a burning sensation or an urge to urinate when the instrument is inserted and removed. Also, when your bladder is irrigated with sterile water or saline, you may feel a cool sensation, an uncomfortable fullness, and an urgent need to urinate. Try to relax during the test by taking slow, deep breaths. Also, if the test is lengthy, lying on the table can become tiring and uncomfortable.

If a spinal anesthetic is used, you may find it uncomfortable to lie curled up on your side while the anesthetic is injected. You will probably feel a brief stinging sensation when the anesthetic is injected. You may feel tired and have a slight backache the day after the test.

I had a cystoscopy today and it was pure agony. I swear to God that urologists are all liars when it comes to pain and they even blog these sites in there spare time to convince people that their procedures are merely uncomfortable. By the time the flexible scope touched my bladder I was literally screaming like a Banchee Indian on the war path and I am not exagerating! They paused the procedure and told me that I was about to pass out and to stop breathing so hard. God! It hurt! Don't believe any of the foolshness that you read otherwise as its all just propanda. And no, that topical gel Lidocaine at 15 ml for 15 minutes did not help! It's not an ouch, it's not a discomfort--it's pure agony and excruciating pain and that's the honest truth so help me God. David Craig, San Jose, CA. 46 years old.

I just had one today with local anesthesia. In all truth, it did f*****g suck. But it's short, and the worst pain is at the beginning. The first urinatioin after the test is a little brutal. there was a drop of blood in mine. but it seems to be getting better.

had it done on Friday jan 8, 2010. Was under general anesthesia and felt nothing. I have a stent in for the next 10 days. It wasn't bad. It wasn't really anything. I feel the stent, but do not feel pain from the cytoscope procedure which took a little over an hour. Please don't be afraid... some folks have bad experiences, but mine was not that bad. And I've had urology procedures since Nov 2nd 2009 for a fossillized kidney stone stuck in my ureter. I've had the nephrostomy tube b/c the kidney wasn't draining b/c it was blocked by the kidney stone. Had 4 lithotripies that broke up a lot of the stone, but the last procedure (cytoscope) was basically a roto-root because the edges were embedded into the ureter after being there so long. So I've been thru most of the procedures being discussed here and I can tell you for fact, my experiences haven't been that traumatic. I am relieved to know that.... seeing some experiences. *shiver* Poor folks!

I was told not to worry, the cystoscopy "would not hurt". The actual procedure was a real shock. I was also screaming in pain during the procedure. Dont get how anyone can say it doesnt hurt. Possibly anotomical differences can effect the dicomfort level?

experienced a different feeling in my penis for a couple of weeks(irritation just inside the head)chose to go to a urologist and he did a very general exam.checked testicles and groin area and did a prostate exam with his finger....surprise....He said he did not see anything and asked if I changed soap or laundry detergent,I told him no.He insisted he did not see anything.I opened the head of my penis and showed him that I felt the inside area was noticeably irritated,he said it looked fine.Hed then scheduled me for a cystoscopy which I had today.Wow is a good word for it.I was very nervous and escorted in a room by a woman and told to drop my pants and underwear,which I did.She sprayed a disinfectant on my penis then inserted a numbing lotion which hurt like hell(maybe would have been better if the inside was not already irritated)Then she applied aclip to keep it in.She told me I should remain still and breath deep when the dr comes in to do the procedure.

The dr came in and sprayed a water type solution on the opening(felt like he was using a powerwasher..ouch) he inserted the scope and I thought I was going to die...On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 15.....omg.I felt more pressure as he probed deeper and felt like I had to pee,felt more pressure as he went to the bladder and more discomfort.I was the happiest person in the world when it was over untill I went in the connectiong bathroom to clean up and pee.Even numb it hurt peeing.Did not see any blood.

Got home and thought to myself there is no way I will ever have another one of these unless I can get drugged up (like they do for a colonoscopySpeaking of which I would have 15 colonoscopies insted of 1 more of these...OUCH)Once the nubing stuff wore off and I was home I was amazed how painful it was every time I had to pee.Procedure was at 9am today and it is now 7:30 pm and it still burns when I pee but not as much and much more tolerable.Only saw a few specs of blood in the urine earlier today.Happy to say the dr said he saw no problems inside what so ever but that left me with no answers as to why the inside is sore.He gave me a 7 day script for cipto which is a general use antibiotic.Lets see what happens.

I know everyone has a different tolerence for pain and I always thought of mine as average....but not in this case.....OUCH...more power to those that can tolerate it

I had a cystoscopy at the Drs' office the other day..........The procedure was ''thee'' single most painful experience I have ever had........ My advice is to definitely insist to have this done at a hospital or 'out patient' facility..... You ''definitely'' want to be 'put out',, just like for a colonoscopy....... After you go home 'drink lots and lots and lots' of water.... For the first three days after the procedure,, every time i urinated it felt like someone was lighting a match stick right under the tip of my penis....

Taylor

I had this done today. While it was an altogether unpleasant experience it wasn't as bad as people claim. I had the numbing jelly shot all the way down to my prostate. If you relax the exam takes no time at all. Just relax the muscles like you're urinating and go to a happy place. the cystoscope was in and out in under two minutes. On the plus side I now can tell the difference in prostate and bladder pain.

I had one done last week and I will likely have more. It was absolutely brutal. Like someone said before, I simply can't work out how some people claim that it is mearly 'uncomfortable'. The pain was unreal. Even when they were apparently just injecting gel, it was pure agony. Am I allowed to INSIST that these are done under general anesthsia in the future??

You are completely correct. They tried to do the cystoscopy to me yesterday. I had them stop. Complete pain and complete agony. I was told it would be uncomfortable by the doctor. Lies! It hurt so bad my teeth hurt the next day.
I now will have to have cystoscopy as an outpatient with anesthesia.

My Urologyst perfomed on on me in his office on my second visit. He looked at my chart seemed shocked that was on my agenda for that day. I was just as shocked becaused nothing has been said to me and I had no idea why it was being done. I will never go back to that office again! There was never any discussion about rescheduling so it could be done under general anesthia which would have been my preference lnowing what I know now. They only used some type of local anesthesia gel right at the tip of the penis and after about 5 minutes started the procedure. The pain was agonizing and it lasted about 7-8 minutes. From now on, I will always demand general anesthsia if it's and option for any procedure if it's an option, no matter if it inconvient for the doctor. I'm paying and have paid for enough already.

I attempted to have a cystoscopy today. I ended up on this forum to see if what I experienced was normal. Apparently it is. I got to the office after being told they were going to use lidocaine. The doctor then said "No we're not. It doesn't work" I was already pissed because they prescribed me alpazolam to calm down (which wasn't kicked in yet) and Then they weren't numbing me??? Anyways the doctor proceeded and let me tell you. I've had two major back surgeries and would rather do that again. When he first entered it I instantly started crying/ and screaming. He took it out and said "let me numb you" barely let it sit for 5 minutes wasn't numb and proceeded again. This time I was clenching my husbands hand and screaming in agony. He said my urethra was too tight and got smaller towards the end and couldn't put enough pressure without me screaming to make sure it went in all the way. He recommended that from now on I'm out under anesthesia and possibly have my urethral dilated. Ugh, it was by far the worst pain I've ever experienced. I thought it would be no big deal based on all the positive comments I've read. But they were either lying out of their butt. Or somehow they have this magic pain tolerance. I DONT KNOW. from now on I need to be put under though. You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to do that again.

I had the procedure yesterday. I have a very high pain tolerance but this was the worst pain I've had since I broke my leg as a teenager. I had a good report but will never do this under local anesthesia again. I am surprised I didn't punch the dr. Said it would be a little uncomfortable. Absolutely wrong.

Are you kidding people? I didn't feel a thing! It takes very little time and just feels like you have to urinate ....