I had a really bad UTI about 5 months ago, with lots of blood in the urine, and been taking antibiotics on and off these past few months because the symptoms just won't go away. They are constant urge, burning and straining at the end when i go pee. My bladder feels tender and funny most of the time, especially in the morning. Also sometimes i feel pain in my urethra. If feels bad every time i pee, like it never empty.What could this be?

Although it has died down from the beginning but i'm am starting to be afraid that this won't go away. Ive seen many doctors and had many urine test done. I've also seen a urologist and had a Cystoscopy, all my urologist said was the my bladder wall had a lil inflammation and swollen. My urologist ruled out IC.

I'm tired of waiting and taking antibiotics and see no results really, I have gotten yeast infection due to taking so many antibiotics as well. Why would my bladder be inflamed for so long, i'm scared that it had done damage to my bladder.

My urologist put me on a low dose of cipro for 3 months and i an finished the 3 months and i still don't feel any better.
I am also starting school next week, this is really hard for me because i can only hold me pee for at least 2 sometimes just 1hr, i don't know how i can survive in school =(

I need some kind of relief, i cant sleep, all i can think about it pee, pee, pee!

Has anyone have a similar situation as me? or am i the only one?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Your doctor ruled out IC?
That's what it sounds like. My daughter suffers terribly from IC but it was confirmed by a cystoscopy.
I don'y know what is going on with you....but in my daughter's case anti biotics will only inflame her bladder more making her IC worse.
Have you tried watching your diet? No caffeine, spicy foods, fruits (nothing acidy). Cranberry juice that helps with most bladder infections is a detrement to people with IC.
Probotics will help control the yeast infection from antibiotics.
Even though the doctor is saying you do not have IC it may be a benefit to try the diet (mentioned above) and see if your symptoms get better.
If not I'd go to another urologist for another opinion.

Yea i thought it would be IC because all the symptoms i have sounds like IC, but , i never really did drink much pop, and i don't drink coffee at all, i think i had a pretty good diet before all this. Ever since i got that bad UTI, i was just on water and nothing else. So i don't know what to do to relieve the urge and pain.

Can a UTL get do bad that it takes a long time to heal?? or make the bladder wall inflamed constantly?

I have seen another urologist , she said just to give it time, but isn't 6 months enough time if it just started with UTI? what else could it be
i really don;t want to do another cystoscopy, its hurts was to much, it feels
worse then a UTI, well for me=(

Maybe it is just an ongoing bladder infection, but have you ever been tested for a bladder prolapse? With a prolapse, you cannot void all the urine and therefore it is easier to get an infection. A bladder prolapse also causes discomfort, the feeling that something is coming out, and when you sneeze you may lose a few drops of urine. I am mentioning this because you don't have the other conditions you were tested for, and I was wondering if this had been ruled out? Bladder prolapses exist to varying degrees. They may not always be immediately obvious, especially if you are not in a group usually at a high risk of them. 

My adult daughter, who has IC, uses URISTAT once in awhile to relieve some of her pain and urge to urinate.
It's an over the counter medicine. I think there are restrictions to how often and for how long you can take it so be sure and read the directions.
May even be a good idea to check with your doctor before taking it to make sure it will not dilute any other meds you are taking.
Hope you are well soon.

Yes i have tired that, its also called Phenazopyridine, and i have tried it it doesn't seem to work and kinda makes it worse. but thanks for the advice

Unfortunately if you do have a UTI it is better to treat that. Most people do not realize that if your body can not fight the UTI on its own it will not get better. A UTI can spread to the kidney's causing acute kidney failure.

You do not want to have kidney failure and be on dialysis.

Unfortunately antibiotics do cause inflammation in some people. That might account for the increased bladder pain you have.

If you are not allergic to Ibuprofen you should start taking that on a regular basis. It takes at least three weeks of Ibuprofen at recommended dosage to have a sustained anti-inflammatory effect.

Well this did all start with a really bad UTI, where i had blood in my urine.

took antibiotics but the only thing that didn't go away was the constant urge and burn when i pee and now theres straining and weird urges and pain in my urethra.

I went for an ultrasound after that but everything looked find back then but till today, it still strains and burn when i pee especially if i only drink little water and if i do pee like less then an hr that i have gone before, it feels really bad, also with the constant urge. I had many urine culture done all came back negative.

The side effect of use of antibiotics can cause the cause the destruction of the good bacteria the body produces which cause the bad bacteria to get the overhand. Have you been checked for cystitis and Candida albicans. you may be suffering from a persistent parasitic bacteria that cannot be controlled with over the counter medication. I know what you are going through because I have the same problem except there is no blood loss involved. I have seen several specialists who have prescribed me different types of medication. Among them were Cipro 500mg , Bactrim 200mg and other kinds. Eventhough it mostly appears in women I asked my PCP about Candida Albicans. She had blodowork done to check for any fungii. When the result showed a trace of a fungus she put me on FLUCONAZOLE 100mg for forteen days. The severe inflammation subsided but not completely. My urologist the put me on bactrim for thirty days and the pain and burning disappeared. I was fine for several moths, but recently it seems to be coming back.
Ave you ever been checked for diabetis? A previous PCP kept referring to Diabetic Neuropathy. I have been diagnosed with type II.
I hope this information gives you an idea that there is medication available. Do not give up. If you are not satisfied with one urologist go to another till you find one who can help you. It is your right.
Good luck and God bless you.

I'm going through the same thing. I have been doing broth cultures through the united medical lab, and they have helped me a lot. Go to united medical lab and click interstitial cystitis...broth culture. Look up enterrocoucus (sp) bacteria that infects bladders and see what it says. United med. lab is in virginia and you do everything by mail.

I had the UTI happen to me, but I used propolis to heal myself instead of antibiotics. It strengthen your own immune system to fight the bacteria away without any side effect, and also I drank a lot of water everyday, it helped to wash down the germs. I drank two table spoons of apple sider vinegar day and night so as to control the situation. These all worked well for me.

Get urodynamics done and ask them about the pacemaker for your bladder. It will change your life forever.

Maybe your bladder has dropped.

Yes I know exactly how you feel, I have the same symptoms. Up all night sometimes every 20 minutes or so. Some days are worse than others. I have had all the tests and I am now waiting to have Uro-dynamics done. I hope they find something,because this is driving me crazy.I have cut out a lot of foods that trigger it such as diet drinks,bananas,rye bread and things I was eating with no thought it is the food. This condition started a few years ago. It could be hereditary also, I think my father had it when he was alive,he was up all night going to the bathroom. I have recently started taking a couple of table spoons of hempseed oil a day and it seems to have helped. It takes a few days to see a difference. I notice, when I have a bowel movement it helps a lot.If the bowel ispressing on your bladder this can make it worse for sure. In the day it is not as bad as at night.

I have a similar problem, I've been dealing with it since March '12.  The vag. burning and sting started after I took 2 rounds of antibiotics for a sinus infection.  This also happened shortly after I started drinking coffee regularly.  So I am not sure which set it off.  After I urinate, it feels like my bladder isn't fully emptying and it stings/burns AFTER I urinate.  Months and months of this.  I've been treated for a bladder infection (antibiotics didn't help), many back-to-back Diflucan yeast treatments, BV, you name it, I've probably had the drug or test.  Even had 2 painful trans-vaginal ultrasounds.  Went to pelvic floor physical therapy and it just made my pain worse.  They thought it was vulvodynia but they're not sure. (Even when I don't wipe after peeing, it still burns!)

Then the uro-gyne tried Amitriptyline (a nerve blocker), did absolutely nothing even when she upped the dose.  I had a bladder scope and it showed nothing wrong.  Then they sent out the saline from the bladder scope test (cytoscopy) and it showed "minor chronic bladder inflammation."  So was it because of the regular coffee use that I never drank before?  I don't know.  I was pretty good pain wise for 3-4 days then I had to have a 1/2 cup of coffee.  HUGE FLARE!  I drank it at 11pm (I usually never drink that late!) and I was up at 4am in severe couldn't sleep sting!  The next night I avoided coffee and had a little decaf peach tea, same problem!So I highly suggest an elimination diet to rule out irritants and follow the I.C. diet.  And for the love of everything holy, don't do what that other person said and try cider vinegar!  That's SUPER acidic and will really hurt your bladder.  Drink a ton of water. 

I am asking my Dr. about Uristat - it's OTC and numbs the urethra/bladder when you urinate.  But AZO didn't work for me, so maybe elimination diet is the only way to go.  Sick of Dr's - I've been to 12 visits!!!