After suffering from repeat UTI's month after month for nearly a 7 months, it was discovered that they were being caused by an infection attached to my IUD.

I had scoured the internet to find out if chronic UTI's could be linked to an IUD, but found nothing - which is why I'm writing in today.

Even though my Urologist thought it was impossible for an infection to attach itself to my IUD - and then infect the opening of the urethra, that's exactly what happened. When I finally made the decision to have the IUD out, it was sent for testing and was found to be positive for E coli. How the infection got there in the first place is a mystery, but it's scary to know that doctor's don't think an infection "stick" to an IUD.

I advise any women with an IUD, who have repeat UTI's and vaginal infections to explore this possibility with their doctors.

I still had 3 years left on my IUD, but the good thing it was painless getting it removed (unlike getting it put in).

I had an IUD put in over a year ago. After about 6 months I started getting UTI's and I put it down to intercourse. I am to leave a urine sample to the hospital tomorrow to find out what sort of infection I have. Have you any advice?

I've currently been experiencing the same..uti and yeast infections :-( ..for a couple months now..I had the iud since 06'..I've been to my doctor today and like you..says it's not possibly..I am however getting it removed this friday.. and I will be asking to have it tested for infection..When i first got the iud I was told that I would stop having menstrual periods over time, but I have been having heavy periods that last for over a week at times..and have developed low iron.. o.O I just don't think this is normal at all..I have the merina..so if anyone else has similiar symptoms..they are definetly not be taken seriously by our docs %-) ...I'll update and let ya know how it turned out..

...:::Canada:::...

I had an IUD put in in December 2008 and it had to be taken out Feb 2009.... same thing with the E.Coli. I woke up one morning with a very high fever and abdominal pain. I had pain in my abdomin for the whole 3 months I had the IUD but my doctor said the pain was normal. If it wasn't for my fever I probably would have ignored the issue.

I have NEVER had any type of UTI, Kidney or yeast UNTIL I got my IUD in i have had it in for about 2 years and have had nothing but problems. Ranging from severe kidney infection to UTI to yeast infections. I have had about one a month or everyother month. Yesterday I felt one coming on within one hour it was severe and painful. I am going to get mine out Monday and get it tested. Thank you for you information. This was very helpful.

i had an IUD put in May 2008. In Sept 08 I started getting UTI's. Except for one or two episodes in 42 years of my life, UTI's were never an issue. i had repeated UTI's from sept till mid Feb 2009 when i finally took it out. I was on so many antibiotics, and they just wouldn't kill the bug. Once i took out the IUD (copper T) i finally had 3 perfectly clean urine cultures in a row! a couple months later.. I've decided to put a new IUD in (multiload) (since ALL doctors said it wasn't the cause, they are in serious denial) a two weeks ago, April 2009. And guess what?? after a week of serious bleeding, a few days of sex, and i'm feeling that special pain again! I'm going to get a UTI test this week and hell.. i don't know what birth control to use now. the pills just zap my libido away instantly now. really sucks. and hubby won't get snipped. i'm very very sad. i really wanted this to work.

I had an IUD put in after my second child and I have had nothing but problems every since. It seems like everytime I have intercourse I get an UTI, and no one will listen to the fact that I feel it's due to the IUD. Not only do I get UTI's a lot, but I also have discharge frequently, extremely heavy periods that last for more than 6 days, bleeding after intercourse, and yeast infections. After reading about all you other ladies dealing with the same issues I have already made an appointment to get it removed. I am going to ask them to send it off for testing also. I can't believe I have suffered from this for 2 years, just can't take it anymore! So happy I found this thread!

:-( I just got done talking to one of my co-workers about how much I like having an IUD...she said that she had to get hers taken out because of all the UTIs she got...

Okay, so here is of course where the lightbulb went off! I was like OMG I have been struggling with UTIs for the last year in half! What a DUMMY! I just thought it was because of intercourse. I have had the same partner for the last year and half and that is when they started. I just maybe there was something in his sperm that caused an infection....

Infact I brought it up to one of the doctors that tested me and perscribed me antibiotics that I have and IUD and do you think maybe that is why I keep getting UTIs....and he almost laughed at me! He said and I quote, " You know they are different areas?" I was like,"well yeah, but they aren't that far apart."

I have an appointment tomorrow with my Gyno!

thanks ladies for this info! I am disenchanted that I will now have to use alternative contraceptive...but I can't wait to not have YET ANOTHER UTI!! :-)

Hi. Ladies thanks so much for starting this thread. I have had an iud for about 2yrs now. In the last 3 months I have had continuous back pain and uti. I was trying not to link the 2 but because of you and a friend of mine, I know I must have this iud removed. I am miserable, there is frequent urination and I even feel mood swings sometimes. I went to the doctor last week and the doc said that I was filled with toxins and prescribed herbs for this. Now I know to take the next step. Thank you so much ladies for sharing, I know I am not alone in this.

I feel so much better now that Ive found this thread. I have had my IUD for 8 years now. For the last 2 years I have had more UTI's then ever. Seems like mostly after sex. sometimes I dont need antibotics just lots of cranberry juice and over the counter medicine for the pain. Today I need antibotics. I have an appointment on Thursday and Im going to have it removed. I should have listened to my gut feeling when I knew it is linked to my IUD. even though they say its good for 10 years I think after 5 maybe it should be replaced. Thanks

i had a copper iud inserted 4 years ago (painful) and ever since that all my urine tests show that i have a uti. No symtoms but i will admit that i constanly have to pee. One dr. called me to tell me call gave me cipro. Faxed over my lastest urine test to my gyno and am waiting for him to call me back. Tomorrow i will have my urine cultured to test for e-coli...BELIEVE THAT. I believe this devise has to come out. What is a 44yr.old to do now.. ? :-( :-(

I had an IUD inserted on Feb. 2008. I really liked the idea that i didn't have to 'worry' about contraception partly because my libido was completely non-existent. Then, I got my first UTI spring 2009. I was prescribed antibiotics by my gyno which didn't cure it. I went back for another test and prescription which have not cured it either.
I am going to have a discussion about having it removed and using a different contraceptive.

I had my IUD Put on December 2005 and it was a non hormonal one, since a year ago I have experience nothing but problems from recurrent UTIs, abdominal pain and kidney problems, I visited many doctors and the thing that bothered me the most was their attitude, they told me that an UTI was pretty normal for a woman of my age I am 35, and that I shouldn't worry much about it, I have taken many antibiotics and always came back. And I started to suspect about my IUD and the doctors laughed at me and said that there is no correlation. At the end I got an appointment to take it off and I send it to be tested and of course came out positive for E coli. But it took me a year of suffering, a lot of money and the desperation of not knowing what was wrong with me.

I have developed a fear about sex and i am crazy about germs and cleaniness. At least I am free of the IUD and now I know everything is going to be ok

Don't let your doctor tell you UTI are not serious they are and is very uncomfortable to have them is not normal at any age...

I had an IUD put in April of 2009. Since May I have had a yeast infection, another bacteria infection (another form of yeast), and 3 UTI's. I am done! I have already scheduled to have the IUD removed but they can't get me into the office until September 23rd! I can't wait to have it removed, this is absolutely ridiculous. I have spent more money on UTI pain relief pills and prescriptions it is crazy. Thanks for everyone on here sharing their experiences, it only confirms my thoughts that the Mirena had something to do with this.

I had my Mirena (IUD) inserted in December 2007 and have suffered from reoccuring (8 just in 2008, 5 so far this year) UTI's ever since. I have change my entire lifestyle around to try and prevent these UTI's from happening, and nothing has worked. I'm so paranoid that i'll get an infection that I literally carry around a bottle of Cipro in my purse. I sought the advice of a urologist who brushed me off, and wrote a prescription for daily antibiotics to prevent the infections...only to give me reoccuring yeast infections. When I complained about the yeast infections he basically told me that he couldn't help me anymore. My symptoms did not start until I got the IUD...and it makes perfect sense now. I'm scheduled to have my IUD removed next week, and have it tested for Ecoli. I have spent hundred of dollars, and a ton of time researching my issues, and I'm hoping this is the answer I have been looking for. Thank you all for sharing your story!