Hello, folks. I have crooked teeth and my dentist suggested me to wear braces. However, I have recently read something about Invisalign. I hear that these braces are invisible. I would like to hear what your opinion is when comparing them with traditional braces. This will mean a lot to me. Thank you in advance.

Hello. Invisalign are indeed braces that could not be seen. The obvious advantage is cosmetic. However, people say that they are more comfortable for wearing. They can be removed while eating. The treatment is also quicker comparing to the one with traditional braces. However, since they are removable, they are not worn constantly. They are made from polyurethane, so there are some toxic and allergic reactions reported. Some side effects are also reported such as sore throat, cough, etc. You should discuss about these details with your dentist. I hope I’ve helped.

I had traditional braces and i hated them. I love the results but I hated my last few visits to the orthodontist. Everyone is different. Some have them on for a year to may be 2 1/2 years. I had mine two years. I was not happy with my orthodontist because I could have had my braces off two mothers before I got them off. My orthodontist took my bottom wire off and just left the brackets on. They cut up the back of my lip something terrible. I still have my scars from it. I had to use my wax to keep my lip from getting any worse and to heal. When I went for my next check up he put my wire back on. He accused me of biting my nails which I never was and never will be a nail biter. He also accused me of still doing my habit that made me get braces in the first place. That made me so angry that he accused me of things I didn't do or didn't do anymore. Also that he left my brackets on that did a lot of damage to my lip.

With traditonal braces you may only get the top retainer that is removeable which could be just plaastic looking similar to invisalign or the metal/plastic ones. Depending on your orthodontist. That's what I was left with anyway. Some orthodontist give both top and bottom retainers that you can remove.  I had a wire glued to my bottom teeth for a retainer and that thing worked until one night I was flossing and half of it broke off. I went to my orthodontist the next day because the rubber cement or what ever it is they use to glue it to your teeth was on the wire jabbing the roof of my mouth making is so sore. It was hard to eat with it too. My orthodontist took it off and sent me home with no plastic retainer which you think he could have given me to keep my teeth straight. My bottom teeth have moved quite a bit since.

If I were to get braces again to straighten out what my orthodontist messed up I would get invisalign. No need to worry about the metal brackets cutting up your lips or cheeks. No wax. Hopefully with invisalign you get to keep the last set of braces for retainers. Both top and bottom which is best. I wish I had both. You wouldn't have to worry about cavities because you can take your invisalign ones off and brush your teeth and get every where you need too. Traditional you get flossers and you have to stick the flosser between your teeth, floss, pull the flosser out, move to the next gap between brackets and repeat the flossing between your teeth. It's a pain in the butt.

As far as goes for pain traditional can be VERY painful depending on what you need done. I had a tooth kind of behind the other in the front bottom of my mouth. The very small thin looking teeth. I had a spring connected too it and one of my other teeth to pull it out in line with the others. That was extremely painful. It sucks not being able to eat hard things for a few days but once your teeth are done moving you can eat so much better. Pain free. Some people like my sister had to have rubber bands for their over bites. Also get a special attachment to the roof of your mouth to help with the over bite. Idon't know what the rubber bands were like I didn't need them. Never had the head gear. Thank God. I don't even know what that is even for.