Hi
Im 16. 17 in september
And I've notcied for a along time that Im missing my lateral incisors, and the gap isnt
nice, to say the least. Theres two gaps: one between my incisors and canines, and then between the canines and the rest of my teeth. Almost as if the canine has taken both spaces, leaving horrible gaps.
The gap doesnt look "big" enough to fit another tooth, if ya get me? but its still "big"?

Anyways, for years now I've been trying every way to convince my mum and dad to have something done. We once went the dentists, who didnt even look at my teeth, I was 15 at the time and he just said that since I was 15, they had to wait until I was older.

every since then mum and dad have been very reluctant to take me to any dentists about the subject again. I've done research, and apparently other people who have the same condition have theirs sorted young.
We don't really go for check ups. like, ever. I would, but mum and dad are just lazy. Thats all I have to say about them.

I just wanted to know, what courses of action can I take and what are the costs involved?
I feel really upset at the uglyness of my smile, I am happy with the rest but this is really hideous. Please help! x

Wow!
One of my sisters friends were born without her 2 front teeth. She had them treated young but you can have an operation done to move them so you only have bigger gaps and then you just wear fake teeth in the gaps

There are proper treatments for this problem, especially if you want to avoid a permanent tooth replacement. I was reading some researches and it seems that missing lateral teeth happens to 2 percent of the world population, which is a lot, you have to agree. Usually, all of the orthodontists will recommend some implants. But since you are very young, maybe they will leave it this way until all of your teeth grow up, since there is a possibility of some teeth just push another one. One of my friends accepted this "offer" and they put plastic teeth in her mouth. 

There are some probabilities in this case :
1/ Your lateral incisor may be impacted and then you can go to orthodontist to try to let it erupt if it is possible
2/ you may have eruption cyst or dentigerous cyst or any other type of cysts that stopped your tooth from eruption
3/ Your lateral incisor may be not formed originally due to any defect
In the first probability , orthodontic treatment may be effective .
For the second , oral surgery is to be done either to remove the cyst or the entire tooth according to the oral surgeon
If your tooth is removed surgically or was originally absent and not formed , you can restore it by using dental implants or fixed bridge.

Thanks
Just thought I'd mention that its BOTH lateral incissors
and
thankyou so much, that post was helpful, I THINK its most probably the third one. But the gaps were these teeth should be dont seem big enough to hold a tooth!
So what would they have to do? and would it cost, considering I'm 16?
Help is much apprieciated x

The space can be widened by means of orthodontics , it may take long time but it will work .
I do not know about cost , it may differ from place to another as i am Egyptian

I have the exact same problem!!! I am 21 now, and I am from brazil and my parents wont let me put braces cause im in thailand. my doctor in brazil said i didnt need implants, i could just fix my teeth with braces n make my canines look like the 2 missing later incisors, but that if i waited until after i was 21 i would need major surgery to open the hard palate of my mouth so that more space would be made!!

im so pissed..i dont want surgery, just my braces... i totally feel ur pain!
im saving up money to pay my own braces since my parents dont give a ***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting** about me.. only about my sister who is the model of the hosue n got her braces when she was extremely young.. so pissed

I have the exact same condition, im am 12 and i went to the orthadontists toady. They are going to put braces on me to make a gap for the teeth , then i have to have retainers for a year then im having bridges, which are just like fake teeth xoxo