My daughter came yesterday from school and brought home a package of Advil. She told me that it was anti-inflammatory drug, like Motrin. She also said that school doctor recommended this drug for hers allergy problems. Was my daughter telling me the truth? Is advil anti-inflammatory drug, like Motrin? Please, help me.

Your daughter was telling you the truth, except for one thing: Advil contains anti-inflammatory drug inside, but is not only anti-inflammatory. Advil is combination of drugs in one pill. It contains chlorpheniramine maleate (antihistamine), ibuprofen (it is generic for Motrin), pseudoephedrine (nasal decongestant). This mean that in one pill you have all that you need for treating allergy.

I am sorry, but the poster gave you the wrong information for Advil. If your daughter brought home Advil Sinus, then the poster would be correct in his advice. Regular Advil, does not include sinus/allergy medication. When in doubt, look it up in the Physicians Desk Reference. I hope you get this correct advice soon, and that all is well with your daughter. (As a side note, the medication packaging should be clearly marked with the ingredients...even if it is sample packet) :)

Clearly you don't know how to read the package either, because if you did, you would see that it says Solubilized Ibuprofen Capsules, aka an NSAID (Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug), Yes, it can be used for allergy relief, because the anti-inflammatory drug in the advil reduces the swelling in your nasal passage allowing you to breathe.

Advil is exactly like Motrin. They are generically ibuprofen withdifferent trade names. Motrin was originally only by prescription and Advil was the first over-the-counter brand. The medications are identical

Nils - regular Advil does NOT contain antihistamine and a nasal decongestant. It is ibuprofen however which is an anti-inflammatory (NSAID). I would suggest if you are giving out information, perhaps you should make sure it is CORRECT.

Regular Advil does NOT contain chlorpheniramine maleate.

Call you Doctor.