Hello. I'm having one problem and I was hopping that someone could help me. I have this congenital problem with all types of allergies.
You see, all my life I'm allergic on pollen and some other things like dust or eggs. Because it is very difficult to control all this and not to get in contact with them, I’ve been having these very strong allergy attacks almost all the time.
Mostly, I used some allergy skin sprays and some pills to relieve my symptoms but, a year ago, I started to use some nasal spray and it helped me a lot. But, there is one problem.
I can't stop using it because it seams to me that nothing beside could help me and that I develop some type of addiction on it.
Could this be possible?

I believe I can help you because my son used those anti-allergy nasal sprays and I think he developed some addiction on it but, it al turned out well for him.
You see, I don’t know do you understand that those kinds of sprays contain several different types of decongestants. They are all effective in the temporary relief of sinus congestion caused by allergy.
Unfortunately, once the initial relief wears off, the sinus tissues react with an even stronger response in many individuals...causing even worse congestion.
The temptation to continue use beyond the recommended time interval is almost irresistible. As a result, nasal sprays can be-in a sense- addicting.
And what is worse- The addiction will only get worse during the allergy attack because you will use it in even bigger quantities.
Solution is to get back to your old medications or to use some “non-addictive” sprays like Cromolyn, Saline and others.

I was a 20 years user of nasal sprays. Lately I found a way to stop it. Simply slowly reduce the strength of the nasal spray( no matter what knid of nasal sprays you use) by mixing water or saline with the nasal spray. for example, use 5% saline water and 95% nasal spray the first week, then increase to 10% saline water and 90% nasal spray the next week... and keep going. do it slow, so your nose won't even know the difference. You need to open the bottle to mix them manually yourself, get a measure cup or measure tub, and make sure the % is correct. I did in about 10 weeks, by the time I use 20% nasal spray and 80% saline water, I did not even need it anymore. this method used by many people. it all work. So good luck to you....

Google search Neti pot. It is a genie lamp looking thing that you fill with saline, and it is used to clean out your nasal and sinus passages. You pour the saline into one nostril and it comes out the other, and it totally cleans your nasal passages. I have suffered with allergies for years, and this is the only thing that has provided me with immediate relief, which generally lasts between 6-8 hours. It may seem strange and a little scary at first, but it is well worth it in terms of congestion/allergy relief.

I was on this stuff for 7 years,the first few weren't that bad,but it got to where I was spraying that 12 hour stuff every 30 minutes,was waking up all night.Had half full bottles everywhere ! It was gett ing embarresing and expensive,I bought the regular and the menthol every week at least.I tried doing one nostril at a time ,but everytime I got down to the recommended dosage,it shot up again. I ran into a woman at a party and she said she had been addicted to nasal sprays and got off it by using flonase a steroid spray. Having no insurance I put it off till I had a woman stop seeing me because I woke her up all night when I woke up spraying that stuff in me. So I broke down and got the flonase or a generic brand,it cost 93.00 a bottle ! But after 2 of them I quit nasal spray and am a free man now. It feels really good.I never thought I'd beat that stuff.Just wanted to share this with others in the same boat...

I use SinuSoothe to relieve inflammation and nasal congestion. I also know other people who have used it and no longer need decongestants any more. It is totally natural and safe and doesn't rebound. Apparently it is now doctor recommended.

I was addicted to decongestants for more than 10 years. It started out as a simple head cold. The over-the-counter sprays provided instant relief, but after using them for a little over a week I found that I could not stop.

I lost count of how many doctors I went to that were unable to help. The best advice they could give me was to quit “cold turkey” and just “tough it out”. Easier said than done. I had several prescriptions written for steroids (flonase, nasonex) and prednisone. Nothing worked. The congestion was just unbearable. The prednisione made me gain about 20 lbs, which was just awful.

About a month ago, I went to see one of the top ENTs in our area. He told me that he had been having good success with a product called Rhinostat. He gave me a battery of allergy tests to rule out any other causes and then he suggested that I try it. Not 3 weeks later, I am completely free of these sprays. After all those years, I can hardly believe it.

A word to the wise: Rhinostat works best if you don’t have any allergies or any other problems. If you do, better get those treated or it still won’t be easy for you. But if your only problem is the addiction to the sprays, I can strongly suggest giving Rhinostat a try. It’s a very comfortable and gradual process. They sell their kits online (nasalspray.com?).

Henry
Manhattan, Kansas

this is by far the most useful comment it is a scientific process sometimes called weening, doctors all use this technique to help patients get of what ever drug they're addicted too, as for neti-pot, these people will never understand that the onlyh thing that works for some people is the over the counter pharmaceutical drug xylometazoline or a variation of it, as i have tried every thing including neti-pot and the only thing that works is nasal decongestant

Many are unaware that meth amphetamine is the active ingredient in some over the counter nasal sprays. Other names include l-methamphetamine, levodesoxyephedrine, l-desoxyephedrine, and levmetamfetamine. They are all levo methamphetamine.