i just bought some green tea slim pills dietary supplement and it has hydroxypropyl methylcellulose in it and i was wanting to know if it is safe to take without any major side effects if anyone can respond back and let me know please i would appreciate it very much thank you

Hi! I found that it is used as a food additive for thickening and emulsifying liquids. It is recognized in the Codex Alimentarius, which is Latin for food book — an internationally recognized set of guidelines which pertain to food safety and use. Hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose also carries code E464 in the European Union, making it a known and listed food additive. So I guess it is safe to take.

Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is substance used in tablet and capsule coating because it’s inactive with other substances and it also can protect valuable ingredient from stomach acid. It doesn’t have any noted side effects one would easily presume from its name. In fact this same substance is widely used in food industry just for that reason - hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is found to be adequate replacement for animal gelatin and an alternative to gluten found in wheat flower. So, no need to worry about this.

Just because it is listed in this book does not make it safe! It is a food ADDITIVE, not a food. It is synthetic. Any E numbers such as this you should be wary of. Eat REAL food.

E464 Endoctrine disruption, Digestive problem, use in capsules in vitamins, instead,  twist 2 piece capsule, open it and empy the contents into water (not fluoridated) or juice.

Thanks for that, my quick search of mainstream media stuff was the usual runaround with nobody explaining anything just the degeneration game were people hold back detail in hopes that the majority will just give up go away and die slowly. Big pharma, FDA...

Keep fighting for knowledge it`s power, and your God given right !

Regarding Hyroxypropylmethtlcellullose (HPMC) capsules. Coded: E464. At the age of 70 I am pleased (not proud) with my physical and mental fitness, and had never experienced a digestive problem untill my recent experience with HPMC or E464. I want to share my experience because there is important learning within it. It began like this: A friend of mine, a molecular biologist, tipped me off about the need and the defict of vitamin 43 (FORGET D2, thats rubbish). So, for the first time in my life, I began to take a supplement; in this case Vit.D3. After taking the capsules for roughly 10 days I sterted to experience intense abdominal wind and bloating; which persisted for at least another 10 days. Then, thinking I had an infection, or that somthing toxic had entered my stomach; Idecided to take Echinacea herb 'HPMC' capsules; and, to avoid complicating matters, I stopped taking theVit.D3. The wind and bloating continued unabated for about 10 days or so, when I stopped taking the Echinacea capsules too. Within a week my digestive problem had gone. Later on I became convinced that my body needed help to detox itself; so I began taking dandilion root (herb) 'HPMC' capsules; and ,within a few days the intense abdominal wind and bloating returned; making it clear to me that the HPMC (E464) capsules themselves were the cause. I urge all readers to be pro-active in defence of their health; and to look deeply into the (very freaky) affects of E464.

Thank you for sharing that with us. HPMC use is widespread and I have seen it listed as HPMC Phthalate and other companies who wish to disguise it, list things like modified cellulose for the capsule. It seems very damaging to human health.

The question I have is......Is HPMC identical to HPMCP? Or is the Phthalate an extra step to delay breakdown of the capsule? As in enteric coating. There is so much misunderstanding surrounding this and so little concrete information available that it worries me taking anything remotely similar.....I can imagine someone in the pertrochemical industries who is concerned with the population growth saying, what can we do to reduce the population? Poison them? Prevent them from reproducing, reduce sperm count? Turn them all gay? How about doing all of them? HPMC(P) was produced and marketed and seems to be very effective in producing those effects.

This isn't an anti gay post so don't get your knickers in a twist. Just look at what is known about this stuffs effects.

I have same problem.i don't seem to be able to find an answer.after watching t.v. show it seems this capsule should contain chloroganic acid. so can anybody tell me the difference between these 2 contents thanks 1531valerie

Thank you for sharing your experience, it has been very helpful to me :)

Thank you very ver much

I am beginning to find more and more research on the dangers of ingesting man made vegetable capsules vs natural gelatin. Studies show that you cannot properly digest the compounds of the Hydroxipropylmethyl-cellulose (HPMC) in the vegetable caps and it builds up in your organs and can possibly cause life threatening problems. Same for the gluten free industry as they use this to bind the food. More and more studies are proving that gelatin capsules are safer and can be processed in the body unlike the vegetable caps. For me I'd rather use God's given medicine vs man made Pharmacuticals that contain harmful chemicals that can build up over time.

Some of us would love to eat REAL food. Unfortunately this filler is very common in gluten free foods that some of us have to eat!

Hey! Can you not eat gluten because of a food allergy? If so, I HIGHLY recommend you check out a treatment called NAET. It is a permanent food allergy treatment that allows you to eat things you couldn't before. I never used to be able to eat dairy, but now I can eat it any time I want. Not that I want to, it's terrible stuff, but it beats having to consistently avoid it and have it make me really sick if it does somehow end up in my food.