I had one nasty episode with medications. I had a cold and since I am having asthma I have decided to react before anything serious come out. I took cough suppressant with dextromethorphan. But when I started to take it I have felt the changes. My lips tongue and throat started to enlarge. Swelling had continued and I had to get to the hospital. It turned out that I am allergic to dextromethorphan. Is anyone else allergic to Dextromethorphan?

Yes, I am too. And I have found out about it on the hard way just like you. I have been on vacation with my husband and I took dextromethorphan. When the allergic reaction started to appear I didn't know what is happening. I thought that it is because of water, foreign food or sun. But it turned out that it was because of medication. I was in rather dangerous situation because I didn't go to the doctor right away.

Yes, I think I must be too, but in a different way. I had a very strange reaction to it when I took it recreationally over a year ago (it should have lasted about 8 hours but it lasted almost two weeks), and last night I took a normal dose in generic "Day Time Cold/Flu Capsules" and the 10mg of dextromethorphan made me feel euphoric and lighter than normal, and sounds were crisper. I still felt different this morning too

i'm also allergic to it, and also found out the hard way. my reaction occurred almost immediately. i took it when i had the cold, but all it did was intensify my symptoms. the strangest thing that happened was that my eyes started to swell. i had trouble breathing and felt like someone was sitting on my chest. my mom is a nurse so i didnt go to the hospital, but i think i probably should have. when i didnt realize what ingredient it was that made me have such a bad reaction, i later took nyquil which happens to also have dextromathoriphan in it. again, the same symptoms came up. i'm glad there are other people out there who are also allergic to it! i thought i was weird or something haha

I aswell I took a generic cold medication about 15 minutes later I had hives all over even in my scalp by face looked like a ballon I dint go to the doctors that time I delt with it, 2 weeks later I took dayquil before school 15 min later I was having sneezing fits really unbelivable, when I got to school I was having a hard time breathing I went to the urse where she gave me an epi pen . I went to a specialist and even he didn't know what I was allergic to he tought it could have been red dye #4 I said no there's no was after reaserching on my own comparing the two diffrent ingredient I had figured it out.

me too, I suddenly appeared to have developed it for some unknown reason recently, I use to have DM more than 4 years ago in india, never had such a nasty reaction.
the other day, I had nasal congestion cough and fever so i took the dimetapp DM in the night before going to bed. jus a small dose of it. by morning, I lost lots of water from my body, a had trips to the washroom thru the night, my body became numb, i had wierd feeling and deep slumber thru the night, i dont remember all the details of it. then not beleiving it was coz of DM i took jus a lil dose of it two years later coz i had cough, i had similiar reaction again. usually it takes days for me to return to the normal. otherwise, im too week coz of loss of water, and my percetion to touch is different, i feel different. my proprioception is different.

anybody similiar reaction?

I also am allergic to dextromethorphan. I haven't been able to take anything for a cough/cold in the last 3 years, because when I did, bad things happened.

I shake badly, I feel as though someone is sitting on my chest; My heart pounds and pounds, almost to the point of pain; I sweat all night; My perception of touch and sight is weird also.

Does anyone know of anything I can take when I have a cough/cold since I'm allergic to pretty much every cough cold medicine there is?

-Coricidin
-Coricidin HBP
-Sudafed
-Robotussin
-NyQuil/DayQuil
-Mucinex

etc...

I have had terrible reactions to all of those, and right now I have a nasty bout of viral bronchitis and it's new years eve, all I want to do is feel better so I can hang out with everyone!

We think my son is allergic to DM too. The doctors also told us to be careful of opiates since DM is a near opiate and my husbands mother and brother are very allergic to opiates as well.

i am also allergic to dm. i found outwhen i was little. i would fall asleep fast but would wake up 2 or 3 hours later wide awake and unable to go back to sleep. my doctor told me it was probably the dm in the cough medicine. about a 2 years ago i had a terrible cold so i took some night time cold medicing to help me fall asleep. very bad decision. i woke up shaking, my heart beatng very hard and fast and i was unable to breathe. i drifted in and out of sleep and it took me a few days to return to normal.

the only thing that has helped with a cold without side effects is the buckleys original.

I am also allergic to dextromethorphan.
Found out after a doctor cross-referenced some medicine I'd taken when I was about 9-10 years old.
I am also allergic to ephedrine and pseudoephedrine and Ma Huang concentrate.
Can't take OTC cold medicines either, and I have hayfever.
I get a bright red body rash from head to toe that feels like an intense sunburn for about 5 days, with fever. :'(
Hands will throb with the pulse of my heart at the peak of my pain. :'(
Skin on hands and feet will peel off, worse with hands. :'(
I get cold and hot very easily with this body rash. :'(
Taking a luke-warm bath with Aveeno oatmeal powder is the only thing I can do to help it.
I usually get steroids from a doctor to assist with my healing.
Back in the early 80's I remember my mom saying the doctor said that the ratio of folks who are allergic to this is 1:6million. I wonder what the ratio is now.

I am allergic to DM too! It's a scary situation! The first time I suspected that it was because I took cold medicine the same evening that I had a wine cooler. The second time there was no alcohol involved, and the reaction was even worse. I get hives immediately and am headed towards anaphylaxis if I don't immediately take Benedryl.  I now try not to keep anything in the house with DM and if it's there,  I mark it very boldly as to not accidentally take it again. I should probably have an epi-pen, but instead just keep Benedryl. I feel pretty safe with that, however sometimes when you are not feeling well you are not thinking clearly,  and I have taken it by accident a time or two in the few years since I have recognized the problem. I believe this is part of my medical records now, and wouldn't want to be at the mercy of someone who doesn't take this odd allergy seriously.

ME too! It is the worst feeling ever. I have been "allergic" to this drug my whole life and the doctor told my mother when I was very little that I cannot take it. It is a hypersensitive reaction I get, much like someone who takes this drug illegally to get a high. NOT FUN! It is hard to find medicine without it and one time I tried it again to see if my reaction has gone away since being a kid... nope. It was the worst night of my life with hallucinations and fast beating heart.

It doesn't matter how big a dose I take, my pupils instantly dilate and I just become completely nuts.  I discovered this the first time when I was sick and took some DM in cough syrup.  My roomie's had to tie me down to the bed because I kept pacing around speaking gibberish.

Last night, my husband accidentally drugged me with it - I took a Mucinex for the first time ever...and I didn't ask what was in it - just took it.  About an hour later, my face started feeling numb and it felt like I had ants in my veins.  I looked at him to tell him I felt weird and he grabbed the box seeing it had a major dose of DM in it and told me to go to bed.  He said my pupils were completely blown.  I sounded like a mental patient for hours but he helped me through it.

I hate DM - the crazy feeling it gives me.  Is it an allergy?  I would call it more hypersensitivity in my case.

I am found out Easter morning at the ER with hives, swollen hands, and swollen eyes with a sore throat! UGHHHH :-(

I have that same reaction! and so does my daughter. I can't even imagine why anyone would take too much to get a feeling like it. Yuck I feel so weird when I take it so I steer clear.