My son is 17 years old and he is very good in soccer and plays for the local club. From time to time, he has been having muscle cramps and spasm problems and the meds he was prescribed by a club doctor really helped. But, I guess he is bigger now and need stronger meds. I have heard that carisoprodol might be helpful. I would just like to know is that drug an opiate?

I must say that there is no strong proof that would help us declare this drug habit forming. Still, there were some cases of abusing, but only few. Although very effective for muscle problems, you might want to think again before administrating this drug. It might show some side effects, and longer usage might damage liver and kidneys. That is why it is not recommended for children younger than 12 years. And your son is not that far from that period.

Alanah a year ago wrote:

"Well, I guess I do have to tell you that you should be careful when it comes to using this drug. Especially when we know it can cause a serious addiction, so some might see it as a narcotic. So, if I mention that standard withdrawal symptoms occur when the soma therapy is suddenly stopped, then you might imagine why this drug is considered dangerous.

So is it addictive or not. 2 people on the same website say 2 different things.

In Georgia, Soma and Soma compound are C IV controlled substances because they have a high potential for abuse

Hey Wendell,
Hope you are doing well and having fun watching your son play soccer. further i do like to write that carisoprodol is a Schedule IV controlled substance, and excessive and prolonged use of the medicine is not advised. Although this medicine has good results for short term use with proper rest, but do not use this for long time in any case. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use