Something opiate users, like myself, never realized were the chemical and neurological dependancies and injuries. Depending on how long the drug was abused as well as the quantities taken, each brain has been damaged differently. Opiates when used regularly overstimulate the part of our brain that help us deal with stress, draw motivation, and adapt to certain challenges to the point that our natural brain function shuts down and in some cases dies. For most of us, besides the obvious physical symptoms, experience worse mental symptoms of failure, mood swings agitation etc. which have great influence to the many physical symptoms. Suboxone/methadone are designed to stimulate or re-birth that broken down function of our brain however can lead to the same withdraws when stopping treatment. I've been on 16-24mg/day suboxone for 14 months, near the end there were days of 50+mg, and in the past 6 weeks went from wk1- 24mg, wk2-16mg, wk3-8mg, wk4-4mg, wk5- 0-2mg, I am now experiencing withdraw symptoms and need to re-learn how to cope with stress and adversity. With the help of therapy I have hope and have drawn strength from knowing this is a small temporary consequence and a reminder of how easily one can lose control. I wish the best to all going through this and to not go through it alone, whether it be therapy, out-patient rehab, meetings, but have a support group you are not alone. Good Luck!! Get your life back.

Although I haven't used suboxone for detoxing off of soma and oxycontin, your post does give me hope. Right now I living in hell as I'm sure you understand. My Dr. doesn't believe in suboxone to help with withdrawal symptoms, but I am seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist.  Thanks for your post...it does give me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Alexandria

Alexandria - have you tried loperamide to get off the oxy and somas? I was in pm for over 7 years and was on 10-15 hydros 3 Oxys and 4-6 somas a day. And yes tried to quit many many many times and never succeeded until now. I'm now 12 days off everything and did it cold turkey with loperamide and I feel great. I will check tomorrow and see if you are still posting and answer any questions you may have.

I have never heard of loperamide...is it a type of opiate that you also need to taper off of? I have decided to let my psychiatrist handle the rest of the detoxing......my doctor almost killed me with serotonin poisoning. I was beyond ill for a month..all through July and I knew it was not detoxing off the oxy at this point. I was in the hospital three times and finally an intern in the emergency room recognized the symptoms...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

I cut the anti-depressants in half and within 4 days I started getting some strength back and most of all the symptoms have stopped....unfortunately Viibryd was the only anti-depressant of the many I have tried that worked so along with the symptoms subsiding before I had a heart attack, the depression and the nightmares are back that quick. I wonder if this loperamide can work on this with draw as well. My doctor is also tapering me off far too quickly as my psychiatrist has told me...he is one of only two specially trained in withdrawals off of opiates here in Sierra Vista. Good grief, while I was being literally poisoned by too much serotonin he cut me from 4 soma's a day that I've been on for 7 years down to one and then down to 1/2 a pill.

I have degenerative spine disease and I shattered my ankle so badly 2 years ago that it is being held together with steel plates, bolts and screws.....the pain level has shot through the roof in my spine and ankle the last two months, but I really don't want these drugs and not one of the surgeons told me how dangerous and quickly addictive they are. I am fighting to literally get my life back...to pick up my camera and take my photos again and finish the 5 photo books I had almost finished.

Thanks for responding.
Alexandria

Are you off of the loperamide now as well?

I was only on the loperamide for 1 week it's a over the counter med and its generic for Imodium. If you google loperamide for opiate withdrawal you will find so many threads on it. It works 100% and I'm so happy I did it. I went to doctors to get off the meds but they just wanted to replace one addiction with another so I decided to do it on my own and thankfully found the threads about loperamide. For the first 3 days I took 10 in the morning with a Zantac and the last 4 days kept cutting down by 2. I am taking B complex vitamins, one a day vitamins and 5htp(OTC also) that helps with the energy part. But trust me the times I had tried in the past I actually thought I was going to die the withdrawals were so bad. I would not have wished that on my worst enemy. Please research the loperamide before you go to the dr it honestly saved my life. Hang in there I finally realized there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

You can also read the thread "best remedy for opiate withdrawal". There is a lot about loperamide / Imodium on there also. If you do decide to try it get the generic loperamide not the brand name. The generic is tiny green pills instead of the brand which are big ones.

I will mention it to my doctor this week. this withdrawal is a living hell. I did some research on it and it is used for irritable bowel syndrome and chrone's disease. What kind of B complex vitamins are you using..these are also OTC? I also read that ascorbic vitamin C helps with the withdrawals.

I am going to have, as I mentioned, my psychiatrist handle all these types of meds. I will be looking for another family doctor just t handle my asthma meds and minor things...this is so out of his league.

I read several different forums on the loperamide, and of course there were so many different opinions it was disparaging.

So what do I look for in the pharmacy, or do I need to ask the pharmacist?

Do you have a link for this discussion? I can't seem to find it.

thank you

Loperamide is a mild opioid not opiate and it can't get you high no matter how much you take that's why it's a OTC. The B complex I get at CVS and it Nature Made brand the 5htp is also OTC I get at CVS. There is both good and bad comments about loperamide but I had found the bad comments saying it didn't work and so on and the ones who really don't want off all the meds. The reason I was on so much was due to 2 failed back surgeries and refusing a third one but I've learned to deal with the pain because the meds were not really helping any more due to being on them so long. The loperamide will constipate you some but the pain meds do the same. The day after I finished the loperamide I started going normal which I have not done that in 7 years. CVS also has the loperamide by the Imodium. You can also google "Imodium for opiate withdrawal" and will find a lot more success stories there. Some even have real drs that have used the loperamide because they can't work while in major withdrawal. Hang in there it gets better each day and I know for me the loperamide honestly saved my life.

Thanks...I've written it all down and will give it a shot. I have refused back surgery period, but had to have two surgeries on my completely shattered ankle. the oxycontin and soma are reduced down so low now my ankle is hurting like hell again and I am back to walking with a brace on my ankle and using my cane again. The depression is coming from a lot of anger at how shattering my ankle ripped my life away from me in a split second...I was a professional photographer and it would take me 5 hours to do all the elaborate fantasy makeup and I can't do that anymore, but I want to finish my books and go back to some kind of photography. I spoke with my model tonight for a long time..our friendship was also so much a part of our lives and added to the photographs.

I want my life saved and the depression gone.....

Is it called Loperamide in CVS and is it pills or liquid? How much did you use?

Yes it's called loperamide and its the cvs brand they are little tiny green pills (not the liquid). I started out with 8 first thing in the morning and the first 2 nights I had to take 3-4 before bed. On day 4 I dropped the loperamide down to 6 in the morning and the 5th day 6 loperamide the 6th day 4 loperamide and the 7th day 2 loperamide and that was my last day on it. I still take my vitamins because my only "withdrawal" is lack of energy but the vitamins do help a lot. I don't even have cravings for my meds anymore. I'm now 2 weeks with zero pain meds and feel really good. I also started drinking Limu which I had to order online. It's expensive but I got a months supply and it has everything our bodies need to repair the damage the pain meds have done to us. If you google Limu you can read the 99 reasons every dr around recommends it. It can also help with pain. Definitely worth looking into. I wish you the best of luck and I can promise you the loperamide will make a 99.9% difference in the way you feel and in taking away all the withdrawal symptoms. Keep me posted and I will check back this afternoon. God bless

Thank you so much....I will give it a try.

Tomorrow I go see an allergy specialist, then on Thursday...my psychiatrist and I am going to talk to him about the anti-depressant I was on that caused Serotonin Toxicity and almost killed me. It was the only one that worked so I may just need a lower dose now...problem is I had to cut it in half before I could see him and it only took 3 days for the nightmares and depression to come back.

Alexandria

Have you ever tried Klonopin? I hear a lot of good things about it and its supposed to help you sleep too. The 5htp is also a mood enhancer and it has valerian root in it to help with good sleep also. I wish you all the best it will get better. Let me know how it goes and I'm here if you just need to vent.

No..I haven't.

thanks for being here...I'm at the end of my rope....today is a bad day.