Hello, folks. My friend has been recently discovered a lymphoma. She needs chemotherapy, but there is another problem. She is pregnant. I know this complicates things. I would like to know whether chemotherapy treatment is possible in pregnancy. I would appreciate if anyone could reply me. This will mean a lot to me.

Hello. Chemotherapeutic drugs are very strong. They are life threatening to fetus, especially in first trimester of pregnancy. However, if the cancer is very dangerous, then a woman must not postpone chemo for after the pregnancy. Some women with acute lymphoblastic leukemia died since they refused to get chemo. However, if the therapy is received in second or third trimester, there are more chances for surviving on fetus. It all depends which drugs are sued. However, this is a very serious question. Your friend must consult this with several doctors and her closest relatives. I hope everything will settle somehow. I wish her best of luck!