Hello, fellows. I was discovered a breast cancer several years ago and ever since I have been on my chemotherapy. Recently, I have begun to notice I have a bad body odor. I wonder whether this can happen from chemotherapy. What are your experiences? I would like to know this, folks.

Hi. Body odor is something that is specific for each individual. Since you didn’t have this odor before, it can be caused by your chemotherapy. Some people tell that radiation therapy can also cause this. You should perhaps try to wash more often. I am not sure which deodorants you use. You can talk about this with your doctor. Perhaps, he/she has some good advice. I hope it will vanish. Bye!

My husband is taking chemo and I find a sharp musty ordor when in the room with him and I also find a smell in the bathroom ...I can't discribe it but I am constantly cleaning the sinks and toilets. Wishing you good luck

Hallo,
If I am not mistaking here, the odor is just a bacteria on the skin that comes out when you sweat a lot. So you will notice that the odor will be stronger if you have unhealthy skin and if you sweat a lot. I think that the medication that you have might also cause an adverse reaction so your body has strange odor. You can try to talk to your doctor and see if something can be done when it comes to bad odor. You can try to change your diet, this might help a little bit. I hope that this helped you in any way.

All the best to you,
Karen

I am scouring the net to understand why after many years of deodorant use to keep my armpit odor (not very strong odor) in check I now don't have any odor at all. I was diagnosed with a very rare form of blood cancer for which I was treated with intensive chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplant in 2010. I carried on using deodorant after my cancer treatment but about six months ago I noticed when I ran out of deodorant for a couple of days my armpit did not smell. I have gone further by experimenting by not washing my armpit for a couple of days every so often and got family members to smell my armpit. They can't smell anything much. I no longer use deodorant but I am worried about the change in my system. I don't know if this is good or bad.I'll be grateful for any medical/scientific explanation to put my mind at rest. Thank you in anticipation of your answer.

I talked to my Husbands Dr. about a strong odor, made me sick the room was full of this dreadful odor. I had to back out of the room for the night. My Husband due to cancer surgery of the throat cannot smell. The Dr. said he had never heard of any odor and had treated cancer for thirty years but I was saying it must have come from the cancer treatments. I have had numerous people who have taken treatments to tell me it made them sick cancer Pt's and family. These Dr's are wrong and need to ask questions and find out instead of saying it is not true it is to me like it comes out the pores of the skin some type of fumes I know there is a odor I never smelled before any where and as a care giver for years have seen it all. We need to speak up and let them know this does so happen. I am still wondering about this but got no help or advise from the Dr just like I was stupid. People have told me about cancer Pt. taking treatments came to work and people got sick from the odor. Far too many people saying the same thing for the Drs to say not so never herd of any odor. Cleaning the bath room and sink all day changing the sheets daily and for the Dr to say no odor well there sure is. People need to speak up all of us so they will know.

Have been told to use White Vinegar instead of deodorant will help.

Post from me lower down the page have the same odor in my Husbands room and bath Dr said never heard of this ??? Just like I was crazy he said after treating people with cancer for thirty years no one ever mentioned any odor. lot of people and family's are saying the same thing about this odor. It is not in our head it a strong bad odor will make one sick to smell

I talked to my Husbands Dr but he said he never heard of any odor told to him after thirty years of treating cancer. Lots of cancer Pt's and family members have told me about this odor after treatments the Drs need to know it is true. People know what they are talking about and Dr's don't believe it.

So true the odor is real but the Dr's say it is not . They need to research and find it is real instead of saying never heard of any odor when there are so many having it and not talking about it they look at one as if they are crazy.

I believe that chemo causes bad or weird body odor. I am on chemo and since that time, I have noticed that my urine smells quite odd. Hope I am not offending anyone. I have not noticed a change in my underarms, just when I go to the bathroom. It upsets me. I know that it is the chemo because I did not have it before that time. Also I try washing more and it comes back.

I was wondering if you no longer have the odor, as I am seeing that you her chemo over a year ago. I am experiencing something similar and will be done with chemo in April 2015. I am hoping that this will end.

Did chemo from April through July 2104. Have not needed underarm deodorant sine then. Still taking two drugs: herceptin and perjeta. Wonder whether underarm odor will return when I finish those drugs in March

my step dad has cancer which is terminal he's getting chemo which made my moms get sick and bloody nose and she says she can smell something like metal everytime he's having his treatment

I had a similar experience. No odour while on chemo, including carboplatin, taxatere and herceptin. Finished that one year ago, and just recently I am noticing a trace of normal underarm odour. I think it is a good sign, that those awful chemicals are finally leaving my system.