Hi, folks. My neighbor is pregnant and she asked me whether it is advisable to drink green tea during pregnancy. I know that this tea is very healthy for drinking, but then again I am not sure whether it is a case for pregnant women. I would like to thank you for all your replies.

Hello. You are right. Green tea is very healthy. It is rich with antioxidants, excellent for teeth condition, sugar and cholesterol levels. However, it is strongly recommended for pregnant women to be very careful when taking this tea. Green tea has a component called EGCG. It is very similar to methotrexate which is cytostatic drug. It interferes with folate metabolism. Folates are very important for pregnant women since it allows a proper neural tube modeling within fetus. I suggest consulting with an expert. Good luck!