Please, does anybody know is UTI dangerous in late pregnancy? My sister is eight months pregnant. Everything was ok until now when she got urinary tract infection. Of course, she went to doctor immediately and she needs to use some medications. Doctor told that it's nothing dangerous. But I'm still worried.

You really don't need to worry. UTI is very common during late pregnancy. It will not cause any illness in her unborn baby. The treatment of symptomatic UTI is not changed by pregnancy, except drugs that may harm the fetus are avoided. She needs to treat UTI because untreated UTI can damage kidneys.

There is really no reason to be worried because this is really common condition and most of pregnant and non-pregnant woman from time to time get it. It is easy treatable with antibiotics, usually Bactrim, but in this case the doctor needs to watch out that medication doesn’t hurt the baby.

The symptoms of UTI are going to pass in a few days but she needs to follow the doctor’s instructions and to take care of herself better and try to prevent this infection to reoccur. Some of my friends are claiming that cranberry juice helped them and they are using it almost all the time. And increased intake of fluids (such as water or herbal tea) is also advisable.