Can I take hydrocone after quitting methadone to relieve withdrawal symptoms from the methadone?? My thinking is if the hydrocodone helps with the withdrawal symptoms of the methadone it is so much easier to withdrawal from hydrocodone..What do you guys think...Thanks in advance.

That would probably do what you intended. Just try not to take any more Hydrocodones than you need. For two reasons. One, you don't want to trade one addiction for another. Two, never take more than 4000mg of acetaminophen a day. Also, hydrocodone leaves a metabolite after it passes through the liver called Hydromorphone. Which is a much stronger opiate than even Morphine.

TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH EVEN TAKEN HYDROCODONE WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE THAT DOESNT EVEN SUBSIDE THE PAIN OF METHIDONE WITHDRAWAL THATS HOW STRONG METHIDONE IS I AM ON METHIDONE I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR NINE YEARS AND IVE BEEN CLEAN EVER SINCE AND IVE TRIED TO GET OFF METHIDONE I WAS EVEN TRYING TO TAKE WHAT YOU WANT TO TAKE AND THAT DIDNT EVEN HELP NOT EVEN A BIT SO YOUR BEST BET IS GO TO A PAIN DOCTOR WHO CAN WATCH YOUR WITHDRAWRAL SYMTOMS AND THEY CAN PRESCRIBE YOU SOME CLONODINE PATCHES THEY REALLY HELP WITH THE EDGE I AM JUST LETTING YOU KNOW WITH EXPERIENCE i AM NOT PROUD THAT I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR THAT LONG I AM JUST A SINGLE MOM OF THREE BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN AND I DONT HAVE SUPPORT FROM FAMILY TO HELP ME DETOX SO THAT SUCKS BUT TRY NOT TO SUBSITUTE ONE FOR THE OTHER TRY TO GET A DOCTOR TO PRESCRIBE YOU SOME CLONODINE PATCHES LIKE i SAID THEY WORK WONDERS i REALLY FEEL FOR YOU IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ALOT OF THINGS W

have been off methodone now for 28 days it has been hell did go see a dr got some b12 shots that helps any other help thanks alot

I was on methadone for 2 yrs been off for 3 days. feeling really bad. want to go to doc and see if i can get something to help with it. i wish i could just lay in bed of a week but thats not an option with a 1 yr old. What do i ask for. I have to say im scared to talk to my doctor about it. please any feedback

I have been clean from methadone for 8 days. Wow it seems like eternity. It started 3 or four years ago. I had a wrist surgery and was taking vicodin to ease pain at home and at work. I will admit I am a more than occasional pot smoker, light drinker, and enjoyed my pills, which is why after 2 years of vicodin usage I thought I would try an oxycontin. I did one 80mg, had a few beers, and then proceeded to vomit violently. I thought more oxy might stop the vomiting so I picked up two more (shared with someone). The next day as you might guess, I wanted to get another oxy because it was so euphoric despite the sickness. This was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I was now doomed to a heavy addiction for the next ten months.

When I started using Oxy, I had just been laid off from 2 jobs, and had a lot of money so was not concerned. It wasn't long before I was tAking 3-5 80's a day, and buying big quantities of them. If I didn't get my oxy it was friggen physical hell. So even after spending more than 10,000 saved $$$, I was still so hooked. I struggled big time, was almost homeless with my g/f and was stealing or selling to support this expensive ass habit. When I saw no way to continue buying them, I hopped into a methadone clinic(which was a not as easy as it sounds since I couldn't PROVE I was on the stuff for 6 mo), and to this day is the best decision I've made. Methadone helped me a LOT. It didn't get me high like all that other stuff did but at this point I dind't care, I wasn't getting high on anything anymore, I couldn't even maintain! I was so happy to be getting help and spending A lot less . My oxy habit was around 500$ a week at points. There was RARELY a day I could go without it. My first day at the methadone clinic I lost my car as well, awwwww. So It was good exercise I had to walk to the clinic or take a bike everyday. Methadone cured my constant worry about money. So Methadone I was taking until Nov. 5th, on a fairly fast decline of four mg a day since I cou;dnt afford to [ay the clinic. My dose was so low I decided not to go the next day. With about 5 days left at the clinic, I was thrown in jail when my g/f called police. Trust me, by now I had had it with these opiates. So although I could have continued methadone in jail, I told them DONT GIVE IT TO ME!! Oh boy I could've kicked my own ass. I went cold turkey from a low dose of methadone and haven't touched any opiates up to now 11/13. I also feel it's important to add that I did not get one wink of sleep at ALL in jail, or even these last few days at my house. Somehow I am not hallucinating anymore, I thought my withdrawals were done a couple days ago, and I took some Norflex (muscle relaxers) to help me sleep. But it made withdrawal symptoms come back tenfold, with a banging migraine and ants crawling up and down my arms and legs worse than ever.

This is a process, and you readers whove been through it know how long these 8 days can feel, you know how the time drags so slow it might as well be rolling backwards down a hill. But not me. I'm going to keep moving forward while the drugs fade away behind me.

I like how some writers say talking to family or ANYONE is key. For me, this has been the most emotional I've ever been and now I'm crying as I write this because I've never been so happy. Find God, and good people, and family because this could be a very emotional and difficult wake up call for you, but I know you can do it. I'm an addict, but I made it through. You will feel better than one ever could.

Now I think I'll sleep for a week.

God Bless! ;-)

I was on Methadone for 18 years. Kept my dose low 70 down to 20, then started detoxing slow, slow, slow. I've been off for about 8 weeks and still suffering with heart palpitations. When will it end?

quest, which city and state are you in??? my father in law is going to jail and hes on 70 mlg of methadone at a clinic and wayne county Detroit wont give him methadone...how do you get it ?!?

Louisville KY. The only thing that will help him now is prayer. They will probably have to put him in the hospital maybe. But I have heard stories where people HAVE detoxed in jail on high doses. They went through hell, but they lived. It would be unethical for them to not help him with his dependence (notice I did not say addiction) on Methadone.

Rmarling: I have also detoxed from Methadone, after 6 years. I am now 7 weeks since my last dose (15mg). I still have the odd cramps, extreme insomnia, lethargy, and feel as though my body is sometimes actually vibrating, although not a patch on the first 2 weeks. I am supposed to be starting back at work next week and i am sh**ting it. I am eating normally again and i also lost nearly 30lbs whilst detoxing (only good point) but is there anything else i can do to help. I am walking 30 mins a day. I am also taking naltrexone which stops any opiate effects, so cannot take any painkiller with opiates or codeine in it.

I have been taking pain meds for over ten years. My back was injured in an auto accident in Nov, 1998 and that was the beginning of the decade from hell. Every three months now, I have an injection of cordisone into my spine from my pain specialist. I have been told each injection is planned to last 2 1/2 months and wear off so my body will produce cortisol, which is our body's natural pain reliever. At the same time I was prescribed different pain meds starting with Tramadol(Ultram), which for me was torally useless. The next step was hydrocodone, which worked for a while, then the dosage was raised several times until it no longer was effective. I was on a roller coaster with hydrocodone as each dose would last 3 1/2 hours and then I would start to feel achy all over, until the next dose kicked in. The pain clinic is incredibly strict and will not under any circumstances write a new script until the current one runs out. Even if I lost the meds, it did not matter. The DEA monitors pain clinics very closely and the one I use has 12 doctors and many P.A.'s along with technicians, etc. The point is that it is a multi million dollar operation and they will not risk losing or damaging the practice( ..and I don't blame them). After the hydrocone became ineffective, I was prescribed Methadone which leveled out the ups and downs for me and worked quite well when accompanied by cortisone injections. About 2 1/2 years ago the injections quit working and that' s when my whole life began to fall apart. The pain levels, even with Methadone, rode to the 8 to 9 levels and made it increasingly more difficult to work. FYI the nature of the pain was Sciatica and I could not stand on my feet for more than 10 minutes without imflaming the nerve. I was fortunate to have my own business so I could work around the pain. Eventually, the business began to slowly go downhill and profits turned into losses. I borrowed against the equity in my home until that was maxed out and then depleted our life savings trying to keep up. I ended up losing the house, the boat, any and all investments and almost my marraige. I was seriously contemplating suicide and was admitted to a mental hospital for a nervous breakdown. That was the bottom.
The help I received at the hospital enabled me to go forward. I struggled with severe depression and anxiety. Finally, I underwent Lumbar Spinal Fusion surgery and fiour months later began the weaning off Methadone process. I don't remember the dosage in terms of milligrams, but suffice it to say, it was substantial. I cut back slowly, 25% less every two week until I went from a quarter of the original dosage to zero. The next week, especially the first three days, were hell. First, the anxiety attacks felt like I was in total fear. Next, my muscles were cramping in places I never suspected. One night my toes were cramping so bad, I took a bath in Epson Salts at 3:00 A.M. thinking I would try anything to stop the pain. It actually worked for about an hour and just came back with a vengeance. I swore I would never let this happen again. After a week, the physical pain had stopped and I was pain free and pain med free for the first time in over ten years. It was absolutely awesome!
After two months of pain free life, out of nowhere,pain in my neck went from zero to excruciating in about three hours. I went to the emergency room of the hospital where I had, a few months before, had back surgery. It was a Friday night and the pain clinic had closed. The doctors at the ER thought I was a "drug seeker" and refused to do anything for me. I took ibuprophen in huge amounts to no avail. Saturday, I tried again at a different ER and this time I was successful. I got a scrip for Vicodin which held me over until I saw my pain doctor Monday. The whole cycle was starting again...... This is really getting long......I again had a spinal fusion. This time they cut through my throat area back to the spine. I am now three months removed from the cervical fusion and again weaning off pain meds. This time it is hydrocodone, 6 to 8 a day of the 10/325 variety. I have at this point cut back to four or five a day. I am determined to be drug free again but I fear the final cold turkey step.

methadone is evil

Help. I have been on methadone for 2.5yrs with an average dose of 60mg. I got down to 30mg and took my last dose at 30 8 days ago which was a thursday. On friday i took 0, Sat night 15mg, Sun night 10mg, Mon night 5mg, and have had 0 since. I am taking alot of good supplements, have an AMAZING support team (Mother, father, GF) Rough but not to bad up until thursday. Felt great during the day (better than I have in yrs) went out and did some stuff. That night it got bad, it is now friday and I am still really bad with what I like to call the HEEBIE JEEBIES. I have 2 5mg Oxycodone in my possession that I had planned to use in this process. It has been 86 hours since I last took any methadone. I want to know will taking a 5mg oxy put me back a few days in this process or will it just help. I am starting to think it is a much longer process that anticipated to get out of hell

I actually just posted tonight asking for some info on the same mg's you were on tomorrow the clinic is taking me down 5 mg's a day till im off so 12 days. What are the withdrawals going to be like? I have a granddaughter 2 and 1/2 yrs old Im nervous about the whole withdrawal not sleeping at night or just sleeping everyday all day being so sick,Im reading stories and am dreading this.

I always find these forums a bit depressing because it's so sad to hear how many other people are suffering like I have! Still, I hope by adding my own story I can encourage others to stick it out and get this phase of your life behind you. I've done a lot over the past 10 yrs.. I started out drinking poppy pod tea...then did hydrocodone...then on to Oxycodone (Percocet) until I reached the stage where I was borderline poisoning myself with acetaminophen...so I had to start using MS Contin...eventually I arrived at what I hope to be the final stage of my "career"...quitting Methadone. I've taken Methadone pills orally for the past two years - maxed out at 90mg per day but later dropped it to 60mgs a day. Just eight days ago I abruptly stopped a 60mg habit. I've felt mildly yucky ever since but, so far, this isn't anywhere near as bad as stopping Oxycodone (which I did many times because I used faster than my "friends" prescriptions allowed). Methadone's half-life is very long. You don't even feel withdrawal the first day or two. After that, it is simply a daily "grind" where you feel mildly ill and lack the motivation to do much at all. Eating and sleeping are the hardest for me...no appetite, and simply not able to get a good night's sleep. With Methadone, I'd regularly fall asleep every time I tried to read or watch TV...NOT ANYMORE. What I wonder is - how can a person go week(s) without eating or sleeping sufficiently? I've had to force food down, but it cannot be enough. Aside from the physical symptoms, there has also been the unpleasant realization of how much I have lost and how far ahead I would be if I had never started using. I once had a respectable job with a Fortune 100 company (I lost this 1-1/2 years ago but it wasn't due to drugs, we got cut to save money). Now, I have no job and because of methadone WD's I haven't the motivation to beat the pavement job-hunting. A few years ago I had $45,000 in my checking account...now I have $4.24...yes, 4 dollars and 24 cents. I am single and having to live with family because I can't afford to get my own place. I've got JACK...well, still have some stocks, but due to the economy, they're not worth a whole lot now. My main message is: if you are reading this forum because you are considering starting methadone, DON'T. If you are using anything else, the best time to stop is now. Consider signing up with a Suboxone licensed doctor in your town and you will be able to avoid horrible WD's but will still be able to hold down a job and take care of home matters. Don't be fooled into thinking that starting a Methadone program is "getting clean" because it is one nasty chemical that takes forever to recover from using. Best of luck to all here!