I've been taking codeine for about 4 years, everyday. It started out with about 60mg of codiene each day, but I'm now on about 25-30 pills a day each with about 12mg of codeine. I've finally told my boyfriend, and am starting to wein myself off them slowly. The withdrawals are horriffic tho. I get terrible tummy cramps, vomiting, diarreah, headaches, muscle aches, inability to concentrate and the most horrendous restless legs at night. Sleeping is really difficult. I also get really irrationally terriffied, of seemingly nothing, where I feel painicky and breathless. I've also found that I'm constantly on the verge of tears. Has anyone else been through this? How long will these symptoms last? Is there anything I can do to speed up the withdrawals? I'm so, so sick of being dependant on these stupid pills. I hate the sneakiness and deciet they cause. I just want to be like anyone else who can get through a day without worrying about how much pills I've got left, where I'm going to get some more, and what lies I'm going to tell my boyfriend/freinds/family/pharmacist. I think I'm going to go and see my doctor. Has anyone else been to see their GP? If so, did they prescribe anything to make the withdrawals easier? I'm at the end of my rope here. I've managed to cut consumption down to 4 12mg pills three times a day, but I don't know how long I can cope with these withdrawals. My sister also has a really bad codeine addiction, tho we live in different countires, and as far as I know, developed the addictions independently of each other, even tho we are pretty close. Connection? Please share any experiences that you can. Thank you.

Hi ........you will get over it as I to after getting off oxys I ended up addicted to codine Contin 200mg.not 250mg as I stated by mistake in my post this morning. I found the biggest problem with codine is gut rot as you are experiencing, I guess never to judge anyone after many many years of drugs I stopped without the aid of any drugs only Benadryl and gravol and that is truthfully "maybe" because I was still looking for some cheap fix? But the truth is bottom line you will have to do it at some point as sad as that is the leg cramps I got lasted over a month for me anyway and they were horrific as I stated, and for sure go to your Dr. as for me I was ashamed to do so as I am very close to her and have had her for 30yrs however I did tell her after the fact about everything. You have done the right thing by telling your boyfriend and I hope he respects that as a truth attempt of stopping as I to have lost alot of friends and family, I do not now if this will help you but again at some point we all have to face the war inside of us, keep reading the post until you find one that might really help you!!...............................stay strong

I'm on day 4 of cold turkey for codeine - been on it for 15 years. Feel terrible, restless legs and pain in back, hips at night is unbearable - except I have been bearing it because I must get off this stuff. Didn't tell my husband until day 2 - he has been really supportive. Couldn't have got through that night without giving in otherwise. Spoke to GP on morning of day 3 and he prescribed Zopiclone to help me get some sleep. Took 1 last night. Slept a bit but still woke on and off with leg/pain/sweating/freezing/nausea. Had diarrhoea all day today, can't face food but made myself eat some porridge midday.

Today am exhausted, like a zombie, tearful, sick. I'm 56 and I feel 100. Only thing keeping me going is I really really want to get off this stuff. Have been reducing the amount for a few weeks but that just gave me hot sweats every hour all day and night, and pain etc as it tried to make me up the dose again. Realised I had a proper addiction when I slipped in snow back in February and despite pain of twisted leg, felt better because I was taking a higher dose. This is stupid, how can you feel better with real pain than with the pain the pills give you?

I was ashamed of being addicted. Now I see I should have discussed this with my husband and GP long ago.

Would desperately like to end this current misery (there are boxes of pills upstairs) but will not because I cannot face going through this again.

Good luck and inner strength to anyone else dealing with this.

Day 5. Last night was bad, again, thrashing about because I couldn't keep still, aching, nausea the lot, but I did sleep a little thanks to the Zopiclone. Woke very early and felt awful: all the usual stuff and sweating but actually feeling cold. Couldn't wait to get up because being in bed felt so awful. Not that getting up felt any better, just differently awful. Made myself eat a biscuit and drink some tea. Felt really really sick.

Let my dogs into the garden and mooched outside for a couple of minutes. Just doing that was exhausting. Feel really weak, but haven't eaten much for a few days. Made porridge with salt and lots of sugar and just mechanically spooned it in while watching GP on telly. Don't even like GP!

Tried to go back to bed but staying still isn't possible. Decided to potter about the house - didn't really do anything, just meandered about. Can't read, headache too bad. Couldn't even switch on laptop until now...

But - about 1 - felt I could try to eat some scrambled egg and managed to not only eat it, but keep it down. Big result! Even dozed a bit afterwards, cuddled up with dog on sofa. Must have been able to keep still otherwise the dog wouldn't have stayed there.

Please God this has turned a corner now. Headache still bad, neck aches terribly, but can at least see to write this.

Still drinking as much water as I can - will probably burst soon.

Hope tonight is better. Couldn't have kept going without my husband's support, just knowing someone else knows and I'm not alone with this hell.

To anyone else doing this - keep strong - you know it is worth it. In fact you are worth it!

Hi there,
I totally know how you feel and agree with all you said, however on that note Iam well into 8 weeks and am still dead and very sad my husband is not talking to me actually I feel like exploding, but you cannot say to much to him and he is good has alot of support,
I hope your husband is by your side threw this he sounds wonderful, as far as me I am so mad at myself and him for bringing me the pills that started my addiction over 5yrs ago, anyway I will never take anything as I owe that much to my 3 sons.
Good luck to you

I am angry with myself, too, although I was at times in so much pain and I don't know what else I could have done but take pills. I won't do this again, feel I have ruined the last 15 years being a zombie thanks to codeine. Stupid thing is, the 'relaxing' sensation you get to start with doesn't last unless you up the dose - so really I've just been feeding the pain the painkillers created. I used to take them at night and when I tried not to, would wake up in terrible pain, then have to take them to get some sleep. Now I've had these few nights without, I know that pain was triggered to make me take them!

Feeling pretty bad now, evenings and nights are the worst. Did manage to eat a little again, so hope that will help me.

Thank you for your reply. You are right - you owe it to your sons and even more to yourself to take charge of your life and not let this evil stuff run you like you are a robot. You've done 8 weeks? Wow, I'm counting this in hours at the moment. Well done!

Fed up this morning as I really thought last night would be better - and it wasn't, it was worse. Extreme sweating and going from hot to cold, like burning up. So shaky and sick this morning - made myself eat a bit of porridge, couldn't face it really. Went to lie down again when my husband took the dogs for a walk (and I'm angry because we walk every day and I miss it!) but couldn't sleep, too shaky, too jumpy. Had a shower and got dressed, decided to make myself feel more normal.

I work from home doing accounts for a small company and must do wages and file VAT today. Dear God, I hope my brain can do it!

Feel very emotional, very tearful, the temptation to just take one bloody pill is huge - but I will not.

Hi there dogged,
I hope time passes quickly for you to it is funny we are 2 yrs a part in age and that you have a business at home as we do as well, did you ever think at our age we would become addicted? you sound like your head is straight, I can tell you for sure that is will pass as for me I have seem to slip into a depressed state, I am leaving for home wood in Quelp on Tues. as my other job has forced me to go as I work for the ministry of Education as my paet time 2nd job, I have alot of anixety because of that it is a 3 month program, I guess the thing that hurts the most is my husband has jumped bail on me, how ever one that note I need to find out why I started taking the pills he got for me after he moved into my house, I guess I am so mad at myself as I was so high on life before him, he is a powerful person.
So you make sure you do this as it sounds like you have the support of your hubby and I am so happy for you the hot and cold flashed will be gone in a few weeks but if you take one pill your body will go threw the same withdraw you had but back to the beginning so it is not good as you said............................................................you take care

Hi Vanneta park,

So sorry you've had such a difficult time - this is exactly why the pills get you. I had a really terrible mess about 20 years ago with my ex who embezzled huge sums from the company we ran. Then threatened to kidnap the children. Had court case after court case... I'm sure it was the aftermath of all this that made the 'instant serenity' effect addictive. All I want is a quiet life, enough energy to walk my dogs and do the garden and earn a bit of money. Sounds to me like you're the same.

I've been very lucky with my current husband - we've been together 16 years now - but there's still been a lot of stress about, what with my health being bad and getting injured twice. He has been brilliant about this - I really wish I'd discussed it with him a long time ago. Like we've said, I was ashamed. Now, that seems stupid - I wasn't out buying illegal drugs, just taking what a succession of doctors prescribed.

Right now, I think I'm starting to feel an improvement - but it's about 9 at night when it kicks in again. We'll see.

Good luck to you in your battles with the pills and life in general. I know it's easy to say, but try not to get depressed (and God knows I've been there, too!) because you've done so well getting off the codeine that you should let yourself feel good about it. Your encouragement really counts, thanks.

Had a bad night (so no surprises there) and felt pretty low this morning, all the usual stuff:sick, achey, headache, sore throat... But - decided to try a walk. Was in the habit of 3-4 miles every morning with the dogs, and my husband has been doing it since I started this. Today, still very shaky, decided to go and see how far I'd get. Pouring with rain, chilly, but went to the forest and made it for a one hour stroll, rather than walk.

But, considering I could hardly get from one room to another on Friday, a huge improvement! Really pleased with myself. I'm guessing tonight will be shite, again, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

To anyone who reads this and is thinking of cold turkey from codeine - yes, it is hell, yes, it will make you feel terrible, but hang in there. I know I'm not over this yet - but I'm really going to make sure I don't go back downhill!

Midnight tonight is exactly one week from when I last took a pill. If I'd known how bad it would get, would I have done it? I'd like to think so. I know I'm glad I did.

Hey dogged,
You are going to be fine, and keep hanging in there, I leave tomorrow for home wood they are going to take blood work it is a rule of thumb there to see what progam you go into "well" they should not find anything in me, the only problem with rehad if I was to even have a glass of wine I then would have to go into the drug ward as a lush so the only thing in me is nicotine :-(
I have the shakes but I think it is because my work has forced me there and I am dreading it as I am a home body myself, are you able to sleep as for me I am getting 5hrs sleep at most every night and I hate that, I am sure your hubby is so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will write from Home Wood and see how you are doing, which I know you will be fine!!!!!!

hi i see this post was place about a year ago and would love to know did you came of the codien.... did you won the battle

Im with you , gabapentin can help but it is never painless even the last step down from two pills will hurt you .I am alone in this as my history suggests i will let everyone down with this addiction .i have failed job urine test so im trying to ween off but again it is never painless hope u r ok now .D ( the restless legs is horrendous)

HI just a quick message im the same i really do want to come off them as i take about 30 kapake a day the doctor told me he will draw a plan up to get me off them but when i aske him for them he gives them to me i am going to try and do it myself as i dont want to get my doctor into trouble as it is my fault for asking for them

XD iam just coming off codiene, 140 mg 8 tabs a day for 5 years, i have halfed the dose in one week, only side effects are awefull leg and body pains at nite, no other symptoms, if you have a positve attitued then you can beat it with your mind, just keep telling your self, im ok, im, ok. i know its easier for me because i wont let anything beat me, but keep trying, and trying and trying, i will be codiene free in 2 weeks, good luck... your mind and inner strength can beat anything.